JF's chessboard replica

Bash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So as some of you will know I recently acquired a Banbury Studio British Birds chess set. And although it appears to be a later, non SA version, I love it, and decided to build an illuminated chessboard to display them on.

Took a little licensing with it, as after all you cant accurately see the full piece in the film, but as far as I can tell the filmmakers used a light box with bits of paper stuck on the top (as it turns out poorly positioned). this wasn't an option for me so I decided to build one from scratch. This is the result. It's mains powered and has a remote to turn the light on and off.

It's made of oak and to be honest i'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Hope you guys like it.

dark.jpg

dark2.jpg

blade-runner-movie-screencaps.com-8893.jpg

day_lit.jpg

day1.jpg

day2.jpg

day3.jpg

Milk and cookies kept you awake, heh, sebashtian ?! [emoji6]
Nice ensemble, and an extraordinary desk lamp, I guess !

:D Bishop to King 7. Checkmate, I think :D

Thanks man, although it's only on in the second pic. If you can correctly identify it from those pics i'll be super impressed :p

Probably not on this one mate. I may do a run of these if people are interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That board is SWEEEEEET!!!!

Not totally uninterested if there were a run.... can the light-up plate be taken out? You can always put up an interest thread....

And, you know, I'm only 28 original pieces from having a full set!! :facepalm

That board is SWEEEEEET!!!!

Not totally uninterested if there were a run.... can the light-up plate be taken out? You can always put up an interest thread....

And, you know, I'm only 28 original pieces from having a full set!! :facepalm

Mine is pressed in pretty tight, though you could take it out by adding masking tape handles to the top of the board and lifting it up. I purposely made mine tight, but if I made a run i'd probably increase the tolerances round the edges so people could take the top out should the lights fail etc.

Looks great when the pieces are lit up like that. You can set up the pieces on the board the same as in the movie, as in the famous chess game "The Immortal Game".

Milk and cookies kept you awake, heh, sebashtian ?! [emoji6]
Nice ensemble, and an extraordinary desk lamp, I guess !

Oh you meant the board as the desk lamp. Sorry, I also have an Artemide Tolomeo lamp which I love which is just in shot (well the arm is anyway) I thought thats what you were referencing haha.

Interested in a run depending on price.
I'd want a simpler frame design without the routing if possible. Just straight lines.

A few other questions but I'll wait to see if you do the run before asking.

Again, amazing work. Congrats.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back