Zelda Hyrule Warriors -WIP

Tessa Cosplay

I am currently making the Hyrule Warriors version of Zelda. I have loved Zelda for as long as I can remember and once I saw this armored version I HAD to cosplay her! This cosplay is especially exciting to me because it requires just about all cosplay crafting techniques you can think of. There is armor crafting, sewing, corset making, gem casting and wig styling. Anyway here is my progress so far.

This is one of many reference photos I am using. I am making this as close to the character as possible however at the same time putting my own design into it. I will also be making her sword (not pictured here).
10383492_252122538321895_5867763098798595629_n.jpg

The armor is being crafted with worbla. The chest piece was the first thing I made. As you can see I am not using the exact designs as the original piece. I wanted to put my own design into the armor.
ChestProg.jpg

I am still not entirely happy with the leg pieces. I spent many hours and 4 attempts on them and decided I may go back later and try again (who knows maybe 5th times the charm). I initially wanted to embroider the pieces but after hours of fighting my sewing machine I settled on fabric paint. I am overall happy with how the paint looks.
Leggingsprog.jpg

The shoulders were easy to make except when figuring out how to fix them to my body without moving. I wanted the bottom shoulder piece to be flexible and move separately from the top shoulder piece however I couldn't get them to sit sturdy enough. I ended up attaching the bottom shoulder pieces to the top pieces. This will be less comfortable and less mobile but hey beauty is pain.
Shoulders&Chest.jpg

Well that is all for now! I am currently working on the skirt and sleeves. I have them sewn and ready to gradient dye hopefully this weekend.

So I had some time to work on the skirt this weekend. In addition I was able to make the stencils for the details and played with various fabric painting methods. This was definitely a new experience for me. I have never dyed fabric before. In case anyone is interested here is the tutorial I used to gradient (ombre) dye the fabric: http://craftthyme.com/2013/08/how-to-ombre-dye-fabric/ . I have also stiffened the fabric to give it more of a rigid look.
Skirtprog1.jpg

Wow thank you for the kind words so far!

What a long process to get the designs on this skirt! First I pretty much free handed the trim on the bottom. Next, I created a stencil and marked where the design should go with cloth. I got lucky and only had to adjust the outline once. After, I used spray adhesive to set the stencil on the cloth to prevent it from moving and stick it so that no paint would get under. I then sponged two layers of gold fabric paint per stencil. Next step the corset!

Skirtprog2.jpg

Hello just wanted to give an update! I took a break from Zelda for a little bit to work on a sith cosplay for a starfest convention near me. Just in case your interested here is a picture of that one!
11148699_925018404217819_8555122170712344914_n.jpg
I have some more images of my sith including progress photos and how I built it on my facebook page if anyone is interested https://www.facebook.com/TessaCosplay

Now back to Zelda! The leg and wrist armor is finished and ready for priming and painting! I am hoping I can finish this in time since I plan to have this cosplay finished by this weekend!!! I am in crafting overdrive trying to get this done. Wish me luck, more progress pictures coming soon!
View attachment armorprog.jpg

I think this is my favorite version of Zelda after all the years of the weird cute look they did with Ocarina and that. Looking really good so far.

Crown and hairpiece progress! I used worbla for the majority of the crown although if I had the time I think using a different material would have turned out better. I also sculpted and casted my own gems with resin and am happy with the result.

crown&hairpieces.jpg

I also finished the corset a few days ago. This was my first time sewing a corset so the end result is not perfect. I may decide to remake it at some point. The chest portion did not come out very well however that will be covered by my armor (The mannequin is also not very busty). Additionally, the back will be laced correctly when I put it on myself,
Corset.jpg

Great work! Getting gems that match a character's costume is tricky. Making them yourself is usually the best way to go.
That worbla stiuff looks pretty handy.

The armor will look so good that it is a shame more people wont see the corset.

Thank you all for the kind words so far!!! My Zelda cosplay is pretty much complete. I still have to attach some of the small gems and re-pain the sword but I still was able to wear it to the Denver Comic Con. Here is the remaining progress photos!

To those who have commented on the material worbla: It is an amazing material and I hope you get a chance to use it! I recommend it because it is very durable and easy to work with. I get mine from cosplaysupplies.com and it comes in super fast.
Progress of the tabard. I found a template online which I printed out to the size I needed and then created a stencil. Next I used spray adhesive to make it lightly stick to the fabric, the same method I used for the skirt pattern. Last I sewed a gold trim along the edge!
TabardProg.jpg
Hip armor progress! I didn't take as many step by step photos since I was in crazy last minute panic crafting mode. Here I drew out the pattern and transferred it all to EVA foam. I used a dremel to create the raised pattern and simply covered it with worbla!
hiparmor2.jpg

Finally here are some pictures taken at the DCC! I will try to upload some more final pictures again when I take a few better ones.
View attachment DSC_0138.jpgView attachment DSC_0161.jpgView attachment DSC_0140.jpg

TabardProg.jpg

hiparmor2.jpg

View attachment DSC_0138.jpg

View attachment DSC_0161.jpg

View attachment DSC_0140.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for sharing this post with us! I noticed that a lot of cosplayers like to keep their processes a secret. I am also in the process of working on my Zelda cosplay and this will be my first attempt at working with worlba and making armor and I am super excited. Your Zelda came out lovely!

Thank you so much for sharing this post with us! I noticed that a lot of cosplayers like to keep their processes a secret. I am also in the process of working on my Zelda cosplay and this will be my first attempt at working with worlba and making armor and I am super excited. Your Zelda came out lovely!

I am glad I could help! I don't see the point of keeping your processes a secret. I know my cosplays wouldn't be nearly as good without the use of tutorials/progress from other cosplayers.

I realize I don't have some of the better photos of my finished Zelda on here. Here are some newer ones

DSC_00566222.jpgDSC_0186222.jpgDSC_002222.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back