You will feel an itching... DUNE fans, rejoice! :)

that is awesome.

I would relish any additional reference shots of the still suits. That is one of my comic-con costume goals for some day when I have money again.

I found a website long ago that showed how they were made from individually glued pieces of foam- so they must have been all slightly different, and many were custom fit to the actors.

I SO love this movie.

Sillsuit and a thumper- yep that's my comic-con dream....

-cris

Thanks, Mike & Cris. :)

Here's one last photo of the stilsuits from Ron's CD - it's labeled "Making background stilsuits":

makingbackgroundstilsuits.JPG

Is it me, or does the suited Fremen look suspiciously like General Zod? :lol

Originally posted by kimncris@Dec 14 2005, 04:48 PM
Sillsuit and a thumper- yep that's my comic-con dream....
Ah, I've always wanted to make a functional thumper with a speaker at the bottom chruning out that bass "THOOM THOOM THOOM" with each plunge of the acoustic hammer...

So many projects, so little time. *sigh*

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Dec 14 2005, 09:22 PM

Ah, I've always wanted to make a functional thumper with a speaker at the bottom chruning out that bass "THOOM THOOM THOOM" with each plunge of the acoustic hammer...

So many projects, so little time. *sigh*

- Gabe
[snapback]1136091[/snapback]​

Yeah I'm sure the neighbors would absolutely LOVE that. ;)

ItisbywillaloneIsetmymindinmotionItisbythejuiceofSaphothatthoughtsacquirespeedthelipsacquirestainsstainsbecomeawarningItisbywillaloneIsetmymindinmotion.

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 14 2005, 10:17 PM
ItisbywillaloneIsetmymindinmotionItisbythejuiceofSaphothatthoughtsacquirespeedthelipsacquirestainsstainsbecomeawarningItisbywillaloneIsetmymindinmotion.
[snapback]1136272[/snapback]​
:lol Ah, Karl - now HOW did I know you would eventually post that? ;)

I LOVE that quote. I'd bet good money I'm not alone by confessing that every time I watch the film I recite it out loud right along with Billy Bibbit - er - I mean Wormtongue - er - I mean Piter De Vries. :D

It's like a frikkin' Buddhist chant... :p

- Gabe

So this is the "holy grail" you were talking about. Geeeeeeez, I hate you. :lol

WOW.

oh man..... seeing these pictures entirely made my day.

Thanks so much for sharing. (going back and looking at the peeerty pictures)

My congratulations Gabe...

So very happy to see that good karma works :) . Dune is too one of my favourite sci-fi films ever. I remember I saw it at the cinema when it was released (20 years ago none the less) and I could not undrestand a thing... but there was something there. The film grew inside as time passed by, I learnt many dilaogue lines by hearth and suddendly I found I loved it.

Its production design is truly amazing (Tony Masters none the less), and if you read the story behind the production is more amazing the film got eventually made lol. I guess you already have them, but my favoutite readings are the Cinefex, the Cinefantastique (A year in Arrakis article) and the little book in the making.

You know that there were two spanish (or spaniard) companies working in the film? One of them was Cornejo, a wardrobe maker that appears almost in every spanish movie credit. They made the uniforms for the Atreides and Sardaukar troopers. I saw them here in Madrid and they were truly amazinly detailed (I took no pics, stupid of me.). The other person was Emilio Ruiz the most renamed model maker here that made most of the ships.

Thanks too for the captures and pics... I'm a fan of production design and Dune production pics are sooooo hard to find. That remembers me I have an old Rewell Harkonnen ornithopter model kit somewhere.

Now you need to you get the Gom Jabbar and the set will be complete.

Thank you, Spinner44. :) For a second I thought you were spinner44.com - another member named John :p I take it you live in Spain? That's a truly beautiful country, and I haven't been back in many years - I envy you.

I vaguely remember reading the names of the production crew and companies hired to work on the film, and I trust that Rafaella DiLaurentis used her extensive European contacts to find only the best talent available. It's truly amazing that a woman like that with no prior experience with movies of such an epic scale pulled off such a miracle in terms of costumes, sets, and props (I don't count her Conan films). The originality and Baroque quality of the designs still blow me away after all this time... The Star Wars movies have NOTHING on DUNE in that regard.

Her genius as a producer was to move the entire production to Mexico, thus allowing her to fulfill Lynch's grand vision within the budget constraints. A fascinating timeline of the production, directing, and script history can be read here:

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/timeline.asp

Blade Runner fans would be delighted to know that Ridley Scott was signed on by Dino DeLaurentis to direct the film before Rafaella asked David Lynch, but due to the long ramp-up time and the untimely death of his brother, Scott decided to leave the production and go to work on Blade Runner. But not before he left his mark on the production, along with H.R. Giger (both were brought in after they worked together on Alien).

Ron Miller told me over the phone that his wife, Judith, befriended Rafaella on the set and even helped her with casting when Rafaella asked her if she thought Kyle MacLachlan was a fit for the role of Paul.

I wish I'd known more about the Spanish contribution to the film, but at least I can post a few more production photos that may look familiar to you... ;)

Mentor Heubner, Tony Masters, and David Lynch:

lynch,tonymastersandmentorheubner.JPG

The costume shop's fabric-dying station (recognize her from Cornejo? ;) ):

costumeshop-dyingfabrics.JPG

Judith Miller test-modeling a Sardaukar suit:

sardaukarsuittest1.JPG

Atreides ornithopter under construction:

thoptersetunderconstruction1.JPG

The set where Paul impresses Dr. Kynes with his intuitive familiarity with Fremen stilsuits before the ornithopter mining tour:

thoptersetunderconstruction2.JPG

A Caladan Castle room (notes are by Ron Miller):

caladanroom.JPG

The Caladan Castle hall where Paul reunites with Duncan Idaho:

caladaninterior.JPG

Here's an impressive concept painting by Ron Miller detailing the final battle. I didn't have the heart to shrink it all the way down to fit in the thread because it's so beautiful and grand in scope, so click on it to enlarge and then click on the bottom right corner to see it even larger (unless you have a 30 in. monitor ;):

[attachmentid=5503]

Thanks again to everybody for stopping by and sharing in my shock & awe, lol. It's really been an amazing week, and I hope I've done Ron, his art, and DUNE justice. :)

- Gabe

Damn. Gabe thank you so much for posting those pics.... The sets were always so amazing to me. Blade Runner and Dune were just two of the most visually stunning films ever made (even to this day with all the spfx out there). The craftsmanship and fanatical details of Lynch and Scott make those moves wonders to watch again and again and again.

Gabe,

Thanks to you. Yes you're right I live in Spain :) . Yes John and me have very simmilar nicks, infact, in many forums (this one and a couple more) I have the spinner(space)44 while in others is spinner44, as I guess John got the nick before me, so its a funny mixup we have..

Now that you mention Rafaella working in the Conan films, I guess there is where she got to know these people (Emilio Ruiz and Cornejo). The firts Conan film was entirely shoot in Spain, and I know for sure Emilio Ruiz worked making miniatures for the Conan saga, and Cornejo provided most of the wardrobe. I'm not much of a chauvinist but as a model maker and sci-fi fan it makes you happy that some spanish people got involved in such great epics (being DUNE my favourite).

Wow, more pics. thank you so much for sharing as is so difficult to get access to nay Dune-related material. BTW, remember that proyect to make Gurney's pistol?

Congrats and thanks again,
Sergio

Originally posted by spinner 44@Dec 15 2005, 03:24 PM
BTW, remember that proyect to make Gurney's pistol?
Yes, of course - it's just that it keeps getting sidetracked. :p Here's the rough render I made:

DUNE_hero_compare_rev_3.jpg

Gurney_compare_Rev_3.jpg

One of these days, by the Maker, I WILL FINISH THIS. :lol

- Gabe

Congrats Gabe. :cheers I know you will take very good care of the new addition.

I had a chance to buy a hero Stillsuit about 6 months after the Movie came out but I passed it up much to my regret all these years later.

Originally posted by apollo@Dec 15 2005, 06:01 PM
Congrats Gabe.  :cheers  I know you will take very good care of the new addition.

I had a chance to buy a hero Stillsuit about 6 months after the Movie came out but I passed it up much to my regret all these years later.
[snapback]1136931[/snapback]​
Thanks, man. Damn, you is one OLD fokker. :lol I think I was 17 at the time...

But at least you HAD an opportunity. Did you at least get to see it or take pictures? I predit that one of these days I'll commission a fan-made suit from somebody.

- Gabe

Hey in your photo collection is there a better picture of the Hawk logo found on the ring? I remeber all the different conjectures were never put to rest when the replica rings were being made.

Nick

Originally posted by nick daring@Dec 15 2005, 06:43 PM
Hey in your photo collection is there a better picture of the Hawk logo found on the ring? I remeber all the different conjectures were never put to rest when the replica rings were being made.

Nick
[snapback]1136959[/snapback]​
I talked to Ron extensively about that, and he has to look and see what he has saved from the production. I told him how I and others helped Rylo narrow down the details from the screen grabs and showed him close-ups of Rylo's replica. He was actually VERY impressed - nod to Rylo. :D

Ry: got any more, or all they all gone? I would like to send one to Ron as a tribute. :)

- Gabe

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back