You know DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is gonna suck when...

Alan Cross

Sr Member
...the big full page ad for the film features critic endorsements from such prestigious sites as BLOODY-DISGUSTING.COM and Stuart Lee, WNYX-TV.

WNYX-TV? Really? That's the best you could do? What other signs tip you off that a movie is most likely gonna suck?

The fact that it's a remake of a 70s made for tv horror movie? lol Next they'll remake "where did all the people go" that starred Peter Graves. Another sign I saw on the wiki is the ratings board told them not to cut anything as it was a perfectly scary movie that didn't need ruined by editing. They had wanted it to be pg13. Any time the censors like it the movie can't be good.

Im not doubting its gonna suck, mainly cause of Katie Holmes but most horror films have quotes from Bloody-disgusting and Shock til You Drop. Those 2 sites are the best for horror news. For you being sarcastic in your post about BD being "prestigious", actually they are in the community and usually have anything horror related info before anyone else. Plus the guys that run the site are all great guys and run some awesome contests like movie set visits during filming, screenused horror props, cast autographed posters, etc....

Im not doubting its gonna suck, mainly cause of Katie Holmes but most horror films have quotes from Bloody-disgusting and Shock til You Drop. Those 2 sites are the best for horror news. For you being sarcastic in your post about BD being "prestigious", actually they are in the community and usually have anything horror related info before anyone else. Plus the guys that run the site are all great guys and run some awesome contests like movie set visits during filming, screenused horror props, cast autographed posters, etc....

Point taken. My bad. You know, I shouldn't really have even started this thread. I think i was just in a mood. I'm tempted to start a thread about "Threads You Regret Starting."

But if I did I'd never forgive myself.

Point taken. My bad. You know, I shouldn't really have even started this thread. I think i was just in a mood. I'm tempted to start a thread about "Threads You Regret Starting."

But if I did I'd never forgive myself.

lol its all good :)

But regardless who's quotes are on the poster etc.... I still agree with you that its gonna suck

Just got back from seeing it today. I wouldn't necessarily call the film scary since the creatures don't look all that creepy and they do silly things. When your movie has a stuffed Teddy Bear that only says "I love you" is more scarier than the creatures in the film, it kind of fails.

Plus, I find it hard to be scared of a movie that takes place in a scary mansion after playing Amnesia at night and in the dark. A 20 minute play through of the beginning of that game would have been scarier than all of this film.

I saw it today and enjoyed it. I don't remember the original all that well and didn't watch it again before seeing this remake.
I want to know if the house was a production build or if it exists in Australia. Does anyone know?

I just saw it, and I actually enjoyed it. The creatures were fun/creepy. I loved the design/artwork in the movie. Just had fun with it.
*shrug* maybe i'll be in the minority.

I saw the movie on Friday and actually enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy were all the idiots that were talking or even laughing during it. Didn't take me long to lose my **** on them.

I thought it was fantastic. Creatures were great, loads of atmosphere, and Katie Holmes really surprised me with how great her performance was - maybe motherhood suits her?

And Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars. I know it's not "Bloody Disgusting" - but I guess Del Toro and his crew will have to make due...

They must have done something right as they opened 3rd over the weekend. I have to admit i'm amazed a disney movie is #1 that isn't a POTC movie.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back