X-Men Green Lagoon Tiki's

Xxblackbird

Sr Member
Currently in X-Men comics, mutants have established a homeland on the living island of Krakoa.
Blob has opened a tiki bar called the Green Lagoon.
I'm making some of the tiki mugs featured in the book.
I'm going to make an initial post with reference images and 3D models then follow up with WIP pics.

These are taken from the X-Force and Wolverine comics.
3D models were commissioned from artist Jorge Zepeda.

Yvr0OZf.png
k9lG53G.png
PdiZbRD.png
ThWu9bR.png
asPxf9p.jpg
P5OYd1l.jpg

tGxBpXV.png
CdqQzVg.png
Twh1cNM.png

I use a CR-10 v2 with PETG material.
I'm still testing out the sizing.
Mugs in the Apocalypse style are usually around 7 inches tall. But to maintain accuracy and proportions of the one in the book, I printed around 6 inches.
I'm still looking for a good rattle can color to match the base blue.
Z9CBa3p.jpg

I initially used Smooth-On XTC to coat the prints.
i had problems with pooling and dripping and it's not food safe.
So I ordered new thinner resin and will try that this weekend. These prototypes all have XTC on them.
ELfEQWl.jpg

iCCvbj9.jpg

I had a lot of trouble masking the Sentinel face. The lines and details had been dulled by the XTC. The face paint job didn't really turn out well. Certainly not well enough to sell or share.
The teeth looked awful so I tried a black paint pen to add definition. But the pen had an uneven pour came out too thick.
QHYMl7d.jpg

64bwTNu.jpg

vVI6POX.jpg

8KPK3td.jpg

Apocalypse update.
I'm fairly happy with this prototype.
For future cups, I'll smooth the print with sanding and filler instead of resin to maintain some of the sharper details. That will help with painting and the overall look.
Then I'll coat it with food safe resin to give it a gloss ceramic look.
LrpSq3G.jpg

Found this searching for inspiration pics for making my own 3D files for a Sentinel Tiki mug, great minds think alike!

I too have had issues with XTC 3d resin, thick or thin, its always wonky. I'm curious if there's a better food safe thing resin?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back