Wow, my only creation has been recast!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rick Hanson, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

Ebay user "global uplink uk" is selling a recast of my scratchbuilt Farscape communicator badge. It's very unique and easy to spot...the biggest tell is the Plastruct textured styrene I used for the center portion. Lonepigeon suggested it almost 3 years ago in this thread on the Farscape board.

The auction is here, and here's a picture of my dirty old mold:

[​IMG]

I'm not really upset about the recast, since I haven't produced these in quite a while and probably won't again, but the description in the auction is worded just vaguely enough to make it seem like this is a cast of a screen-used item, or out of the production molds.

Makes me wonder about all that other stuff he's selling, like the obvious recast of the Creations Pulse Pistol for one...

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well that just stinks. :angry

3. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

You....WE....Should always be LIVID when something is recast.

The very act of recasting hurts our hobby/industry as a whole because it slowly undermines the faith the artists have in producing anything for fear it will be stolen.

Pursue this jerk.

4. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

I guess I could send him a nasty-gram and see what happens, but given the sheer number of items he's pushing that are probably (definitely in a couple cases) recasts, I'm not sure it would do much good.

(edit) I'm editing this post five years later, because the thread won't die, and there was something here that I wish I hadn't said as I look back on it. So now it's gone.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"As you know from my feedback all my movie prop kits are cleanly cast and highly detailed off the originals or out of the original movie moulds and this kit comprises of 3 parts that are shown below in the photo below."

no vague wording here, he clearly states its either cast of original or made using original movie molds...

report this punk

6. steveo

steveo Sr Member

And this is the reason that I would never sell anything that I labored over. Some people just have no morals. All hail the mighty dollar.

7. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

anyone notice his judge dredd badge is the base of the old vinyl models
    by halcyon

8. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry to hear this Pilot. You were so generous when selling these. You sent me 5 of them for almost nothing.

It has been and will remain one of my most favorite props.

Greg

[​IMG]

9. SG Merc

SG Merc Well-Known Member

It's a shame to see that your prop was recast Pilot. It's pretty thick of people to steal other people's work and then offer it in such a public way--luckily it makes them easy to spot though.

Does anyone have any info on this individual? Name, screen-names, e-mail, anything. I'd like to put it in my personal files so I know not to do business with them. Feel free to PM me--I'd appreciate it.

10. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*, man i thought you knew about that...ive seen those things all over ebay for well over a year :(

11. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

global uplink uk has been mentioned here before as recasting someones items havnt they?
    seems its all he does :unsure

12. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

He was gone from ebay for a long time and I had hoped the site had shut him down. Sad to see he's back. He's very much like the italian fellow who recasts rich's blaster in that he does not feel guilty for lying and recasting. Polite scum. :angry

Njc-------------------------------

13. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

I sent this message through eBay just now:

--
    I see from your auction description - "As you know from my feedback all my movie prop kits are cleanly cast and highly detailed off the originals or out of the original movie moulds" - that you are mistaken about the actual origin of this item. It is most decidedly NOT from a screen-used item or mold.

Want to know how I know? Because *I* designed and built that replica from scratch.

I invite you to look at the very first badge that ever came out of my mold nearly 3 years ago: http://farscapeprops.com/forums/index.php?...msg1189#msg1189

I'm going to ask you politely to stop recasting my replica and selling it under false pretenses. You're undermining both my personal work and the integrity of the prop collecting community by describing and selling the item in this fashion.

Thank you.
    --

We'll see what kind of response I get.

14. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

That seriously blows, I hope he does the right thing...as it sure is a nice prop, good luck with this Pilot.

15. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Report him to eBay for recasting and selling your item.

Sorry to hear that you've been recast. :cry

16. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Good luck. I hope he responds. You should notify ebay anyway, but I would not expect them to do much since you are not a VERO member.

Njc---------------------

17. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Keep us updated too.

18. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Yet another example of a pathetic individual with no respect or sense of decency.

Too bad.... hope something can be done.

19. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

After seeing today's incredibly depressing list of recaster threads, I decided to revisit my case one more time. It appears as though the jerkweed in question is not only not selling my item anymore, but *all* of their auctions are down and their eBay store appears to be gone.

I don't know if they're just laying low for a while, or if my report to eBay had anything to do with it, but it seems they're off the market...for now, anyway.

20. Muad'Dib MD2B

Muad'Dib MD2B Active Member

Its a step in the right direction, at least. I hope that it was eBay who pulled him and not him just laying low. I have no tolerance for someone who takes credit for work they didn't do.

21. Jedi Bailinkski

Jedi Bailinkski Well-Known Member

I am a power seller on eBay, would it help if I complained for you? Drop me a PM.

22. PeterLC

PeterLC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Wow, my only creation has been recast!

Which is sad for all of the honest people on here who would never do that. It means that to some people who make props that are just fantastic, the honest hobbyist who couldn't possibly recreate it himself is lumped in with the * who is only interested in copying it and making a dollar from it.

A few bad apples really can spoil the whole barrel.

23. PeterLC

PeterLC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He is selling on ebay today and still has a Farscape communicator badge but have no compared it with yours. I think he is based in South Africa and has a website he sells stuff from as well.

addition: I just had a look at the one he is selling and it does look a bit different from yours. He either made a new mold or modified the old one. It is such a a simple shape compared with so many other props out there, I don't know why he didn't just make his own the first time.

I wonder whose Aliens PR he copied.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  24. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Wow - bumped thread from 2006 :confused

25. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Wait, don't people here re-cast screen used SW items?

26. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol Necro-posting at it's best! :lol

27. Effingham

Effingham Active Member

[​IMG]

28. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

Whoa.

(I'm staring at a small pile of comm badges right now :lol)

29. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

he has recently resurfaced on ebay after a long absence.

wonder where he went?

-z

30. 88reaper88

88reaper88 Active Member

If you look he's now based in AFRICA!!!

I bought an Aliens motion tracker from him about 5-6 years ago and although the casting wasn't great (I was about 16-17 so I had no idea if it was a good or bad cast) he threw in a PR Grenade, Locator and set of alien inner jaws! All because it took him 3 days to post it!!!

I'm gutted he's/they've been caught out doing this.
    Shocking.

31. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

I've always said it. The same people who cry necropost are the
    same folks who yell "use the search!" :lol

Although it's funny to point out, I still think members should feel free to bump away when they have something useful to add like this case. Im not complaining about members in this thread, as people were just joshing, and I loved the image btw E.

Recasting stinks. Our only hope is if we have each others' backs.

32. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

On my blocked bidder list, I've got global, global-uplink, global uplink uk.. any others I should know about?

33. interstait

interstait New Member

Still on ebay unfortunately. Some of his casts look pretty poor IMHO