Working spear

Dogmeat52x

So I work at Lowe's here in Houston, TX and well during this crazy hectic day in retail I stumbled onto this nifty little tidbit in the paint section. It's a telescoping 2 foot pole that extends out w the push of a button and flick of the wrist into a 4 foot pole made by Shur Line. It's got a threaded end on one side, and retails for around $20. I was thinking it could possibly be modified into a spear. Has anyone seen this item? Or experimented w it whatsoever?

Looks like it has potential. It seems to be manual and you have to pull on one end and hold the center to operate it. Could probably be modified with a little work. I may get one and tear it apart to see if it can be used and possibly spring loaded somehow. Another problem seems to be that the onetube slides into the other so that may limit what and how you can use it.

Yup, that YouTube video is it. It is manual however if you hold down button w thumb and have handle up against your elbow you can flick it around and it will extend due to the motion so you you don't have to hold it anywhere else. The two tubes do fit into each other so it stands at 2ft then extends to 4ft. Im sure it could modified.

Maybe add a heavy weight to the bottom, like some lead sinkers inside the bottom tube so as the weight pulls that section down the upper one goes up. Along the idea of a elevator counterweight......

them folding under each other wouldnt let you bulk it p the way it needs to be id be guessing but you could take the mechs out of it and fab on top of those i think its a cool idea

I just went and played with one of these. Although it is cool the mechanics of it dont seem to lend themselves to the spear. You have to hold the one side to extend the other. Also if you wanted to modify the tubes it would be a problem as they slide into each other. But then there are probably smarter guys here than me.
I am going with the retractable spring loaded umbrellas. I played with some of them this weekend and they are quick, rigid and seem like you could put the assembly inside of a shaft easily enough.
So that is the direction I am taking for now.
If anyone works with the paint handle and has success be sure and post.

So I work at Lowe's here in Houston, TX and well during this crazy hectic day in retail I stumbled onto this nifty little tidbit in the paint section. It's a telescoping 2 foot pole that extends out w the push of a button and flick of the wrist into a 4 foot pole made by Shur Line. It's got a threaded end on one side, and retails for around $20. I was thinking it could possibly be modified into a spear. Has anyone seen this item? Or experimented w it whatsoever?

I have another thread going on this one here in the Arsenal area but here you go-- Got it to work! Predator Spear Part 2

Will be doing a huntorial later.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back