Wiring up Lasers.

CelticWarrior

Just a bit confused with lasers, LEDS installs are no problem but the lasers are causing some probs the ones I have are 1.8 -2.4V. To wire these in series what battery resistor set up do i need? I was thinking along the lines of 4AAA or 4AA batteries with no resistor as the lasers diodes act as non-linear resistors? or would I need a resistor regardless? I'd like to use less batteries to make the install smaller. The lasers I have will fail over 2.6V

Can anyone share a wiring diagram or just write down what battery, resister combos they use in their bios.

Thanks for any help.

I use for the lasers a 9V Battery and i put them in line

Battery + to LED +, LED - to LED2 +, LED2 - to LED3 + and LED3- to switch and from switch to Battery -

But u can put the switch on the + side also, ur decisision, i hope this helps :lol:

Bam,

Your lasers probably can take 3v each, thus you can use the 9v.

Darth Pablo

Your lasers can only take up to 2.4v each.

Three 2.4v in series is a total of 7.2v, and if you use a 9v battery, there needs to be a resistor to take the 1.8v difference.

Then to get the resistor value, we need to know what current the lasers want.

What current do your lasers need?

1.8v divided by that current is the resistor value.

---
Ei'luj

The current rating on the lasers is 5-20mA.
Would it be better to wire in parallel with 2 AA batteries and use a resistor of 100ohm ?

With 2 AAs 100ohms is too much resistance. If you want them to run them using their max rating, a 12ohm resistor will do it. Mid range would be 33ohm and lowest would be 82ohm. Anything between 12ohm and 82ohm would be safe. Mid range would probably be the best way to go but 12ohm would give you the brightest results.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back