WIP: ROTJ Anakin Skywalker-almost complete.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Vadermonkey, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Vadermonkey

Vadermonkey Well-Known Member

Just wanted to show the start of my reveal display project. I havent worked on the mask portion of this for a couple of years but I really wanted a nice Sebastian Shaw Anakin for display with my reveal.

Obviously there is a long way to go, tonight I just wanted to try and get the facial features in the correct place. I need to fix the eyelids and start the ears and then I'll do the rear scars.

EDIT 3-9-12: New progress pic

[​IMG]

Original starting point:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Onigiri

Onigiri Sr Member

Re: WIP: ROTJ Sebastian Shaw Anakin

watching with interest! Nice job!

3. Vadermonkey

Made a little more progress, working mostly on getting the wrinkles worked out, blocked out the ears and just overall orientation of all scars...sorry if the pic is dark, just trying to show the details and the back has the scars but there isnt enough detail to show just yet but I am very happy with their placement. Of course comments/critiques are welcome.

[​IMG]

4. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

coming along very nicely

5. gjw

gjw Member

So are you going to do the version with eyebrows or without?

6. masterstumpy

masterstumpy Active Member

Wow!!! Very nice!!!! Me likey!!!!!

7. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Thats by far the best likeness i've seen on a Shaw bust....fantastic:love

8. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gnarly!

9. Vadermonkey

Personally I will probably go with punching the eyebrows since thats what was filmed originally....on the other hand he kinda reminds me a little of Mr Patato head so maybe I should make a removable set. :lol

Heres a couple shots I did just playing around...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  10. Vadermonkey

Just thought I'd share my latest progress...I basically have everything where I want it but plan to shelf it for a while to come at it fresh. After that I'll finish the ears and refine the rear scars and whatever else before molding.

[​IMG]

11. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Very good indeed!

Rich

12. krusinclone

krusinclone Active Member

Great job!!!

13. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:eek: amazing work!

14. Vadermonkey

Just a little update....this is a DUD PULL but I am using it to get color tones and so forth...I just did a quick finger paint job but I like the way its going. I will make different eyes to look a little more bloodshot or older and try to make the area around the eyes appear more tired with the paint. Again...really just messing around for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Holy crap bud!!!

Awesome!!!

16. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

Agreed, awesome.
    I have two "grail" props. Raiders Ark of the covenant and this.

17. TBREW

TBREW New Member

This is just awesome. Great work.

18. BTTFfan88

BTTFfan88 Active Member

Beautiful work!:thumbsup

19. Jay1138

Jay1138 Active Member

Extrodinary work! I'm a collector of Sebastian Shaw SW items and THIS takes the cake!

20. Onigiri

Onigiri Sr Member

loving this

21. Onigiri

Onigiri Sr Member

You are correct that is def a dud pull and you should be ashamed to show it. My best suggestion is to box it up and send it to me for disposal. seriously though, loving it and if you want to let the dud go PLMK $$$

22. Vadermonkey

Haha...thanks...as for a copy the cure inhibition caused this pull to lose a ton of surface detail and its ripped at the neck because I wore it like a mask as a joke...but I'd be happy to make you a perfect one once I get the mold issues fixed. :cool :thumbsup

23. Onigiri

Onigiri Sr Member

oh...allllllright.... :)

24. AaronFD

AaronFD Member

Fantastic Work!

25. Vadermonkey

Thanks Gents! :cool Here is a near perfect pull, still working on the paint tones...also trying to decide how heavy to go with the color....still a ways to go.

[​IMG]

26. Onigiri

Onigiri Sr Member

Freakin gorgeous!

27. Onigiri

Onigiri Sr Member

any idea on price yet?

28. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

That is looking awesome. Great job!!!

29. nightwing615

nightwing615 New Member

that thing almost looks lifelike! great progress Vadermonkey!

30. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Awesome work, but I'm partial to the subject matter so I could be biased...! :lol It's nice to see someone tackling this and I'm quite looking forward to seeing the finished display.:thumbsup

31. Vadermonkey

Thank you. :D

For the display I really havent touched the mask itself (hence the crappy stand in bits) but it will mirror whats out there now in basic pose but with a twist...so stay tuned. :cool

I couldnt resist playing dress up with him...lol. The color tones in my opinion are coming along nicely and I decided to paint the eyes in on this one...next stop, somewhere that sells airbrushes. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vycanthus likes this.
  32. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Awesome work, man. Nothing like the "Uncle Fester" Anakin/Vader to bring back memories. I'm still "in-process" on the Emperor bust I got from you in 2011...! And I still get chuckles remembering the hair treatment that you were giving Palpatine! :lol

33. Vadermonkey

Not one of my better operations...:lol

34. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

:lol:thumbsup The intentions were good if nothing else!

35. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I truly do not know how I have missed this one.

Okay gonna need one of these for sure.

Please for the love of all that is good and holy, or in this case dark and evil, include the eyebrows.

In 1983 I had to explain this to my mother while I was 13 and she was 38. When the mask comes off you are expecting to see a mean looking guy. Someone hard, and cruel looking. That's why it was perfect. I'm sure David Prowse could have been made up to look the part, and we can skip the old discussion about why he was not shown, but the point is what makes this one of the best scenes ever and why Jedi is my favorite is instead you see this sad old man. Not the mean, fierce, killer you are expecting.

It's a perfct scene. Of course Lucas has to not only make crap after this he has to go back and ruin it by erasing his eybrows, changing the back story, etc.

Okay,...sorry.

You have captured this incredible scene. Amazing work.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vycanthus likes this.
  36. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

One last thing. This reminds me of when I used to wonder how he sustained these injuries? What epic battle must have taken place between him and Obi Wan.

Though they ended up on opposite sides and facing each other over some huge disagreement, anger, betrayel, etc. Obi Wan, who once thought as Luke did, that Anakin could be brought back (and since people don't actually spontaneously turn evil) do battle and it is this horrifying defeat and terrible injuries that turn him to the dark side.

They fight as Anakin and Obi Wan but he rises afterward as Darth Vader.

Now that is what I was expecting.

I really wanted Obi Wan to truly beat him also. Truly defeat him. Not just get lucky or have Anakin do something incredibly stupid.

Oh well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  37. Darth Eckhoff

Darth Eckhoff New Member

very nice work, vadermonkey.... I'm thinking of costuming as this and your pics are a great reference for me... Keep up the good work... The eyes are amazing!

38. Vadermonkey

Thanks guys...the mask is still in very rough shape with alot left to do, the majority of the work left are the tusk tubes. Being a TM base I actually had to remove much of the detail. AND...I want you to know that my bust will have eyebrows! :cool

The goal with this whole project personally aside from the obvious try for accuracy was to create a display mask that could fit onto the bust which is something the Illusive and Sideshow cannot do. I hate showing progress shots so be forgiving please...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working on the greebs..
    [​IMG]

I have been PM'ed about this and may start an interest thread at some point when I'm farther along. I have been very busy and haven't replied to everyone but when I asked TM about using the mask originally, I wanted to only offer this project in kit form if it could be done very inexpensively so we'll see what can happen after I mold it for those who have asked.

Vycanthus likes this.
  39. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

Incredible build, can't wait to see it finished

40. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Holy good God. This is amazing and I am going to need 1 to 3 :love :cry :thumbsup

Can you provide a good lighted pic from the front? Both a straight on pic and then a good one of the top section of the upper half of the mask where the forehead meets the top saucer?

This seems to be where a lot of Vader Reveal go off the tracks.

When I built mine one of the experts of the time insisted it was a saucer, that can be ordered from plastructs, and then they added a inch or so band on to it, cut out the top area and attached it. So that is what I did and it came out pretty good. The real helmets top edge is not as square as a lot of them and the very top is curved and not flat.

Yours looks real good. My only question is the transition area where the top section meets the forehead. It looks like it is maybe to "sloped" where the actual mask was more sharp where the edges meet. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. Where the bottom of the "cap" meets the forehead.

I'm gonna post pics of the real thing and mine to explain.

I can't really tell on yours without better pics.
    let me work on that.

Again, holy good God this is gonna be sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Forgive the quality. First time using the painting thing.

Looking at your pics again you may have already nailed it.

[​IMG]

42. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Nice to see this moving along so well, Mike. To have an Anakin actually fit inside the neck with the mask able to be placed on top properly will, unlike the others you mentioned, make for a great display. The ears may have to squish a little, but that'd be screen accurate too! :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  43. Vadermonkey

Are you talking about how uneven it is or how much higher it seems to be on many of the other helmets used for a reveal?

Its still being tweaked but I feel good about the height and overall shape, I am still working on the transition between the filler under the disc to where it meets the actual mask...getting that accurately uneven around the front.

[​IMG]

Of course by now you've probably noticed I'm adding all of the masking lines to the cast. I also have picture reference of the bottom of the face part so that will be accurate as well.

44. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Yeah, you nailed it. A lot of the other reveals just can't get this part right. It should be uneven just as you have it due to the Vader's mask being asymetrical. On the original you can see a crack where the dish is coming off the edge piece. I had the same thing happen on mine but I fixed it. Your height and shape look dead on.

"where it meets the actual mask", is what I was referring to but you got it covered. I was not able to see that area in your first pics but you have it down. Looks like the best Vader Reveal yet.

Man this is not only going to be awesome it will sure make building a reveal a lot easier. :thumbsup :love :thumbsup

Here goes more money. :cry

45. gobelas

gobelas New Member

Impressive, most impressive!

46. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Are you gonna have a dome with this?

47. luckydoll09

luckydoll09 Active Member

Wow!!! Very nice!!!! loving it ....amazing work! (y)thumbsup:love

48. Capt.K'lon

Capt.K'lon New Member

That gorgeous sculpting work on the mask, but i have to ask. Are you going to put the eyebrows on him like the original or keep it like the updated special edition version?

49. Jay1138

Jay1138 Active Member

Whats the latest on Shaw Anakin/ Vader? This is one of my favorite projects going on this forum.

50. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

That's a very convincing and evocative Anakin!

Rich