WIP - Iron Man Mark VI

ni7ewing

Hey guys, I'm new to both the forums and building with pepakura, so please be gentle with me.

That being said, I'd love any feedback I can get because I'd hate to be making mistakes that could obviously be avoided with the experience of others.

I know a lot of people reading this are going to say that my interests in Iron Man are solely related to the big budget movies, but it goes back way farther than that.

The very first comic book I ever bought was……yeah, you guessed it, Iron Man.

I started this project by trying to build a replica Mark IV Arc Reactor by accident.

I had some LED’s lying around and so many spare parts from radio’s and vcr’s that I always joked some day I’d build a robot. The idea turned from joke to personal challenge after a while, and one day I realized…….I have never taken been so obsessed by any one hobby that it became all encompassing. Another way to say that I suppose is that I’ve also never cared about anything enough to see it through.

So I’m setting the long term goal of my Iron Man Mark IV armour being prepared for presentation on Halloween 2013.

I’m holding myself accountable, documenting the process here.

I've started the build by jumping right into the helmet. Sadly at this point I'm guessing it's one of the more complicated pieces to build.

I've sized it according to what seemed to be the combined knowledge I could gain from a few different tutorials online. Printed on 110lb cardstock and have been cutting and gluing for a few days now.

I say a few days because between work, a toddler, and running a house, I don't have a lot of personal time.

I've already noticed a few tiny 'problems' that I'm a little concerned about. Mostly the teeny tiny pieces at joint that are somehow supposed to connect.

I'm also afraid that the helmet is a little too big, but can admit that it's not fully together yet so hopefully it'll come together.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of photos out there of the paper construction stages of this stuff so I may later take some shots of mine and post them for opinions.

ive just started the iron man helmet for myself, still on the cutting out stage and im with you going to be a long process with work and kids, so no time to do it, get some pics up when you can tho :)

Hey Blade, here's some shots of what I've gotten done so far, but I'm hoping to get a good run at it this week....hopefully get the whole helmet pulled together.

Fingers crossed.

I'm doing the exact same thing, and I'm still in the paper stages. I have everything put together on my helmet except for the face part, which I will do tonight. Looks like you are making good progress so far, I started on Thursday night of last week. Yes, my helmet seems a little big also but hopefully when I put the face on it will be a little better.

Whoa nelly! I've been able to get a lot of work done in the last couple days, but last night i found I may have made a big mistake.

Putting the eyes into the helmet is a PITA!

Well, it's finally time for an update.

I've been able to bare down a couple evenings in the past few days and get some considerable work done on my hemlet......then it happened.

Much like my suspicions, the damn thing is too big. Like WAY too big.

I've included a few photos and would love to get some feedback on any problems you see before I try again.

I should warn you that as I got to the point where I realized how big it would be, I simply taped the helmet together just to get a look at it.

I also have a couple questions that I'd like to throw out too....

I found in the second photo that the 'cheeks' seem to be significantly deeper than I expected, is this normal?

Also you can see in the fourth where the 'grating' is within the cheek.....can I just leave that out I see people without them in various stages of construction.

Finally

Does anybody have any tips for working with the eyes? I want to leave them open to put in lenses at the end......should I build the eye then cut them out, or leave them out altogether.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back