WIP Iron Man Mark IV how bad/good am I doing?

Xeobalth

Hello all! I've been following a lot of Iron Man builds around here and finally decided on robo3687's version with JFcustom's unfolds. I am extremely new to this and my first few pieces are pretty awkward... Will these seams turn out okay when I start with the pva/water coating? Will I be able to coat enough of it that I can sand down some of the uneven cuts. One more question. Robo3687's hands seem to be pretty snug on your own hand (from the looks of the pepakura file). Will I be able to make these with foam as well? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20130528_203044_343.jpg
    IMG_20130528_203044_343.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20130528_203114_966.jpg
    IMG_20130528_203114_966.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20130528_203127_746.jpg
    IMG_20130528_203127_746.jpg
    943.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20130528_203446_301.jpg
    IMG_20130528_203446_301.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
I finished my COD piece and it fits VERY snug. I can put it on, but I have to really pull at it to come up past my thighs. I'm touching on all sides. I can walk in it and it's not uncomfortable, it's just tight. I'm 6'0 185lbs with a 34inch waist. I haven't started the abs or thighs yet. Does anyone think I'll have to upscale them?

weight wise you're at about where I'm at but it doesnt seem like ur as chubby as i am, since a ur overall figure is thinner than i am and I used the mark 6 abs thighs and cod, I don't know what my waist is at now but it might be 35 or even 34 since ive been dieting. I scaled my abs to 27.57, and I thinned out the abs by cutting the thickness down to 5cm thickness and glued them down to the front ab piece sligthy wider than where they get glued down to in the pep file, and honestly it seemed to fit fine but I actually could probably glue them to where they are at in the pep file and still be fine. With another layer of the ab actually on the cod piece file i scaled the cod piece to the ab size at the scale of 27.57 and it fits pretty comfortably for me. Using the reference pictures I measured the thigh piece to need to be at 42cm or a scale at 23.359349. Since you are a similar height and weight to me I'm giving the scale number i used for a reference but you may want to just double check and measure yourself since your leg could be longer or shorter than mine. Hope this helps a bit!

Looks like your cuts are getting more clean and precise looking from your first pics to your back piece. Im learning with pepakura that its not just cutting the paper and folding it. Theres an actual process to it. The first helm I pepped was complete crap, the second looked really good. I want to try my hand at foam but it looks like you have to finesse it more. Iono, your suit is coming along good though. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

001.JPGLooks good! Keep going! Just finished mine after 5 months.002.JPG
Be careful when you scale your legs. Too long and you will have created a statue, not a working costume.:cheers

009.JPG006.JPG003.JPGIMAG0092-1.jpgBlack marker to all lines of the suit will look just like that..... a black marker. I applied a waterbase black paint you can find @ AC Moore or Michaels.
Apply it on to show depth and shadow lines and soot with a small brush. It easily removable withsome light rubbing alcohol if you make a mistake. Note the picture of the suit prior to being painted. I experimented with black ink and smeared it with my finger to show shadow lines and depth. It did not work once the suit was painted so I switched to the waterbase paint.
Best of luck, I hope these pictures inspire you to finish.:facepalm It was hard and frustrating work at times.:cheers

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back