Wild Wild West Sleevegun

SchubroProductions

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
About nine years ago, I spoke with Tim Smythe, the propmaker from the Wild Wild West TV show. He was making replicas of his sleevegun from the show. his site is no longer available. Is there anyone around here that makes sleeveguns like that?

Hi guys!!!
I spoke with Tim Smythe a few years ago and obtained a few of his WWW sleevegun replicas for myself as well as for some friends.
His replica is NOT the same as the one that was used on the show. He said this version, pictured below, is his 3rd version of the sleevegun mechanism as he has improved his design as he made them.
The rear release lever has his name engraved unto the part. I replaced the leather straps and added western style buckles as Tim originally made these with velcro which, while easier to strap on, didn’t retain the “Old West” feel of the show.
Additionally, the bungee cords were replaced with springs for the same reason.
I had to customize part of the metal bar so it would properly hold the MGC replica deringer. In fact, the Derringer grips had to be customized as well to fit properly.
Tim had said that he wasn’t too keen to continuing to make these as he was retired with a nice pension from the film industry as well as from his military career in the Marine Corp.
All in all, it’s a great piece and it’s nice to have a prop made by the original propmaker from a great TV series.
Ed-209
TheSpyBoys.com

Shown with original velcro straps, Bungee cords and MGC replica Derringer
WWW_Sleevegun-01.JPG

WWW_Sleevegun-02.JPG

WWW_Sleevegun-03.JPG

Shown with new straps with buckles, spring cords and blank-fire Derringer
WWW_Sleevegun-04.JPG

WWW_Sleevegun-05.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Always wanted one as a kid. Would keep a toy Derrringer up may sleeve and whip my arm to get it to come out into my hand, only thing is rather than my catching it, the Derringer would more often fly accross the room :lol

Here is mine, also from Tim Smyth via Ed. The gun is released from the retracted position by the brass bar. You press your arm against your side which depresses the bar and releases the catch that normally keeps the gun in the retracted position. The bar functions as a release lever and is, IMHO, pretty clever. I used a blank gun on my setup. When I first received it, I briefly considered using the mechanism with a small .25 cal. Beretta as a backup gun for work, then thought about how many times I point at people, shake hands, reach for donuts, etc. and dismissed the idea. :lol

Once released, the mechanism must be manually reset. You retract the extender and set the retaining catch (the brass bar). The photos show the setup with the bungee cords off the rollers.

WWWsleevegun.jpg

WWWsleevegunBack.jpg

I am in the process of converting from velcro to buckles, and from bungee to springs. Going for sort of a steam punk look using buckles, brass fittings, etc.

Here is a photo of a different design for a sleeve gun.

OrigSleeveGun.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys!!!
I spoke with Tim Smythe a few years ago and obtained a few of his WWW sleevegun replicas for myself as well as for some friends.
His replica is NOT the same as the one that was used on the show. He said this version, pictured below, is his 3rd version of the sleevegun mechanism as he has improved his design as he made them.
The rear release lever has his name engraved unto the part. I replaced the leather straps and added western style buckles as Tim originally made these with velcro which, while easier to strap on, didn’t retain the “Old West” feel of the show.
Additionally, the bungee cords were replaced with springs for the same reason.
I had to customize part of the metal bar so it would properly hold the MGC replica deringer. In fact, the Derringer grips had to be customized as well to fit properly.
Tim had said that he wasn’t too keen to continuing to make these as he was retired with a nice pension from the film industry as well as from his military career in the Marine Corp.
All in all, it’s a great piece and it’s nice to have a prop made by the original propmaker from a great TV series.
Ed-209
TheSpyBoys.com

Shown with original velcro straps, Bungee cords and MGC replica Derringer
WWW_Sleevegun-01.JPG

WWW_Sleevegun-02.JPG

WWW_Sleevegun-03.JPG

Shown with new straps with buckles, spring cords and blank-fire Derringer
WWW_Sleevegun-04.JPG

WWW_Sleevegun-05.JPG
Ed, so I get from your message that Tim is no longer making these. That is a shame. But the original intent of my message was to inquire if anyone made something similar to this. I would love some insight on how the actual mechanisms work on it. How is the gun released?

I seem to remember on this forum someone created a ractchet stake spring mechanism similar to the one used in Angel.

Unfortunetly, I believe Tim may have stopped producing these.
In the meantime, I’ve been trying to remember other TV/Movies that featured hidden sleeve mechanisms. This is what I can remember:
Wild Wild West – original & remake
Garrison’s Guerillas
Taxi Driver
The Marathon Man
License to Kill
Alien Resurrection
Desperado
Red Heat

Here are a few other photos I found in my files.
Ed-209
TheSpyBoys.com

Couple of photos from The Wild Wild West
Sleevegun1.jpg

Sleevegun2.jpg

One of the originals by Tim Smythe
Sleevegun3.jpg

Another version
Sleevegun4.jpg

Sleevegun5.jpg

Two fan made versions
Sleevegun6.jpg

Sleevegun7.jpg

The mechanism used in RED HEAT
Sleevegun8.JPG

Sleevegun9.JPG

Scene from Taxi Driver
Sleevegun10.jpg

Unfortunetly, I believe Tim may have stopped producing these.
In the meantime, I’ve been trying to remember other TV/Movies that featured hidden sleeve mechanisms. This is what I can remember:
Wild Wild West – original & remake
Garrison’s Guerillas
Taxi Driver
The Marathon Man
License to Kill
Alien Resurrection
Desperado
Red Heat

Here are a few other photos I found in my files.
Ed-209
TheSpyBoys.com.

I'll add two more.
The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1958). The first western to be filmed in Spain. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052191/
Parasite (1982) A laser sleeve gun! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084472/

In two episodes of "Farscape" a woman had a retractable blade in here arm. Does this count as a hidden sleeve mechanism? True, there is no sleeve, but..... :lol

David.

Based on the pics from Tim Smyth's creations, does it look like he fabricated the parts himself or reworked found parts? I am speaking mainly of the brass parts (the end pieces look like they may be reworked knurled pieces). I am trying to make my own and was thinking are starting with a small drawer sliders as a base.

Based on the pics from Tim Smyth's creations, does it look like he fabricated the parts himself or reworked found parts? I am speaking mainly of the brass parts (the end pieces look like they may be reworked knurled pieces). I am trying to make my own and was thinking are starting with a small drawer sliders as a base.

Tim definetly made all the brass parts. They are not reworked from existing parts. The drawer sliders is EXACTLY what you need to start with.
I was surprised to see how simple the mechanism was to make this function.
Ed

and another-
Blade 2 had some retractable wrist blades seen in a few shots- namely in the fight scene on the scaffolding in the church.

You’re right!!! Blade definetly had a spring-loaded EDTA injector hidden on a mechanism under his sleeve. In fact, I was associated with Factory-X at the time the film came out and had the opertunity to examine the original prop. It was a very complicated prop and it operated by the wearer putting on a ring, which had a wire attached to it, when the hand was bent at the wrist, it released the locking mechanism that released the blade. I believe the idea was copied from a much earlier design for a teargas sleeve gun.
I also remembered another we can add to our list: Maverick with Mel Gibson had a gambler with a similar sleevegun as the WWW version.
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

Blade2_EDTA-Injector-Real-03.JPG

lrg_tear_gas_gun.jpg

DESPERADO with twin sleeve Ruger P90 pistols
Desp-P90.JPG

LICENSE TO KILL: Henchman Dario with sleeve mechanism that sprang a dagger into his hand.

knifw-01.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back