Why do I procrastinate? 2 week scratch built custom mando armor for my girlfriend.

Osmethae

When we first met, she always talked about how she would love to cosplay along with me as Fett, and finally Denver Comic Con rolled around. I honestly put it off for WAY too long (2 weeks before the con even started) so I about killed myself putting it together.
Here we go!

The armor I had in mind was the legacy mandalorian armor, but modified a bit. I told my good friend my ideas and had him draw me a concept picture.
oUL8gTy.jpg

With her being a dainty little flower, she absolutely hated the T visor because she couldn't see anything. I took one of my Fett buckets laying around and carved it for it to allow a special kind of visor. Heeeeeeeey Ariel, whatcha thinkin abouuuuuut?
D6iqkVo.jpg

Assembled, painted, and all sorts of ready.
k0hKQEF.jpg

Hello there!
4pznuJf.jpg

Next up I wanted to tackle her gun. At the moment I couldn't afford buying her a real blaster, and her hands are so tiny it looked ridiculous with my EE-3. Next best thing, modifying the Hasbro blaster! Chopped off the green RotJ barrel and put in a piece of PVC in place with some apoxy sculpt and tapered it down the tube (before sanding). The metal at the end is an old camera flash handle that I made into a lightsaber when I was like 9 years old. And then a cheap scope I got at walmart.
AbkIuMxh.jpg

Everything is attached now and sanded smooth. Extending the stock was a pain in the ass with how much sanding took place. I chopped it in two, inserted a long piece of plastic in the middle and filled it all with apoxy sculpt, and then used bondo to make it smooth. All that's left now is paint and it is no longer a child's toy.
K83KacKh.jpg

And complete! Painted and dry brushed with some silver. There's still an obvious size difference compared to my real one, but it fits her perfectly.
AIvKAeB.jpg

And it still lights up and makes sounds! I plugged the barrel with something reflective so it would reflect back a little more and show up in the vent holes.
0GVR9Eq.jpg

Ok now it started to get tricky. And weird. Time for a boob cast.
XAptzpp.jpg

First time assembling a vacuum former.. there isn't much to say about this one other than it was a disaster and didn't work.
SC3DxmJ.jpg

I then found plans Xrobots.co.uk and that worked perfectly.
8nYCHd4h.jpg

duNYKIgh.jpg

Yay my first vacuum form pull!
GXoaSS4h.jpg

Next steps are best explained through a series of pictures.
9owqk8H.jpg

ibM5s1D.jpg

ubkAjrR.jpg

I used BatNinja's pouch idea and modified them to be a bit wider.
l9pQNXP.jpg

OdWn7iv.jpg

YtxI20G.jpg

Xft0dcd.jpg

7NfaVkUh.jpg

iazRJ6Q.jpg

Had to put it all on for a first test fit!
dlTFWOU.jpg

Vinyl spray paint for some cheap Amazon.com boots.
YVCFuTj.jpg

kkRZW8s.jpg

Shin pieces riveted together.
AqNCubG.jpg

Letting everything sit and dry.
uEtG9fF.jpg

Weathered.
DD7QECO.jpg

And for her dream come true, her first comic con ever AND getting to dress up with us! It was a fantastic time.
cYhPvw8.jpg

SEOuc7W.jpg

Then we wore it all to a benefit auction the weekend after.
OPmJNa0.jpg

Re: Why do I procrastinate? 2 week scratch built custom mando armor for my girlfriend

I like the feminine look of the helmet. It's a pet peeve with me when people do fem armor but stick a regular helmet on. To me it's like sticking a man's head on a woman's body. I also like you blaster toy conversion. Well done.

Re: Why do I procrastinate? 2 week scratch built custom mando armor for my girlfriend

And for her dream come true, her first comic con ever AND getting to dress up with us! It was a fantastic time.

*(sniff, tear)*

Fantastic. It displays very well and you made some nice choices. Wish I could work that fast.

Really nice, can't believe its a two week build.

-R-

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice, can't believe its a two week build.

-R-

Thanks guys! Appreciate the compliments, it was my first large extensive build... which got me hooked and I need to make moooooooore. We didn't get many good pictures of her in it so we have a photo shoot to do this afternoon. Been working on some props for it, and guess what!? Again I only have a few hours to put a ton of things together. Why god whyyyyyyyyyy.

She didn't like the quick scratch I made on her helmet so I added more detail to it, working on a Gonk droid, and electrobinoculars. (For the people that notice the Totenkopf, I'm a WWII collector and it's part of a display of original items. Not a nazi)
W4CQkVd.jpg

Just finished weathering this and they somehow came out better than I hoped. It was sitting in a white primer for over a year, and I sprayed an olive color over it. Dabbed the dirt color on with a sponge brush, wiped it off, then put some paint thinner on a paper towel and rubbed the spots that would get the most wear.
NhlFx9C.jpg

Great job on the helmet and armour :thumbsup

All done with the pictures! Except for one thing, I forgot my tripod argh. Heading out to this spot again tomorrow, it's only an hour away and is perfect for Tatooine canyons.
sePZipi.jpg

Last edited:

HAHA that first pic was great booba fett. The costume build turned out great, that last pic looks absolutely amazing.

Great work Looks like it belongs !! Thanks for sharing !!

realy nice set you've made there, very convincing

I really dig that helmet! It seems like a lot of people making custom Mando helmets just slap more crap on it. I liked how you just tweaked the visor.

Very cool! Looks awesome.

Just found this while researching my own build. Looks really great!!! The visor tweaking is definitely the right kind of subtle that helps pull everything together :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back