Who makes an accurate Darth Vader ROTJ lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Joker, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Joker

Joker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I doubt I could afford a complete Darth Vader lightsaber from Return Of The Jedi so I would like to know if anyone makes a really accurate replica? I would like one made with a graflex so it would have accurate recharge ports but with the current prices a reproduction graflex would be fine. If you know of anyone or if you have an MR hilt you would like to sell please let me know. Thank you.

vader-rotj1.gif

2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

So I just wonder ... is this an inquiry about who's making the accurate parts to put together a DV ROTJ G R A F L E X yourself? ... In which case you need to be patient until Roy and I have time to work on all those pieces to see what's feasible to produce, since nobody is offering those at the moment, however if this is just an inquiry about getting your hands on a completed lightsaber then perhaps the WTB section in the Junkyard of this forum is more approriate for that kind of a request, do you agree? :)

Chaim

3. Joker

I’m a quadriplegic so a completed hilt would be preferred but if a kit would be more accurate I could probably find someone to finish it for me.

4. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I see ... if and when Roy and I start to put the kit parts together, we'd be more than happy to assist and complete it with a G R A F L E X or replica flash for you ... it just will take some time before we have all the needed parts replicated and it also depends on demand for those parts as well . . . meanwhile you could still post a WTB in the Junkyard for a MR ROTJ and I'll have a look out on ebay for you as well if something pops up ... :)

Chaim

5. Joker

I see that Pastor Jedi makes a Vader ROTJ lightsaber, anyone buy one and is it accurate? Thanks.

6. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't believe anyone is selling kit parts right now... Roy at wanawanga (as said above) has been working on something with Chaim, but other than that, I haven't seen anything.

I have a kit on a replica graflex from a run a while back, not pastor jedi, the name escapes me... That one was great (maybe Elvistrooper?)

Anyway, hopefully the ROTJ kit from Roy and Chaim will be coming soon. I have 3 versions (scratch built, kit on a replica graflex, and older inaccurate kit on an aluminum base, and half a kit I'm needing parts for)

7. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This saber is on my hit list. Would love to see a kit made available one day.

8. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

I think his RPF screen name was ob1kenny.

9. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Roman is going to look at getting the Graflex Replicas to come with holes pre-drilled so then a Roy/Sym-Cha kit could finish it off.

Korbanth is going to offer his incredible ROTJ FX hilt at the first of the year as well. I had one and it was awesome.

Tom

Heyjude7 likes this.
  10. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm already getting quotes for the kit. It's not 100% that I'll make it, but it's on the burners... :thumbsup

NeoRutty likes this.
  11. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Years they told us that this one was the Vader ROTJ herosaber.But today we know that its not.
    So what is this?The stunt?

12. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed as far as I know it was a stunt saber ...

Chaim

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  13. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

But it looks so much more interesting........ :)

14. Joker

I'm just looking for an accurate hilt, it doesn't need to hold a blade or electronics. Looks like Pastor Jedi's website was taken down.

15. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wait, it's not?

16. NeoRutty

Nope.... not even 100% that it showed up on screen. Bummer cuz it's up there with my all time favorites.

17. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

18. NeoRutty

19. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

[​IMG]

Chaim

jhazard likes this.
  20. LTsmash1200

I'm so confused...is this a new discovery or has it been a while? What IS the ROTJ Vader then?

21. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=40270 it's already been discovered since 2008. The Hero ROTJ Vader always was an MPP :) Sometimes a stunt used was also based on an MPP flash ... and than there is this G R A F L E X stunt ... which has been around quite a few STAR WARS productions.

Chaim

22. LTsmash1200

Ah, I have seen that thread. I must have just gotten confused since everybody still calls the G R A F L E X the ROTJ saber. Got it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  23. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I thought this was still up for debate as no one has ever produced a pic that he wore the ESB Hero in ROTJ??? Thus the Stunt Graflex became the ROTJ Saber????

Tom

24. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You do Roman and I will ;)

25. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

russellsch likes this.
  26. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Awesome pic. Thanks.

It's weird because I had seen those threads and I did not read them all the way through because there seemed to be a lot of disagreement and most the photos are gone.

So we have:

The above promo pic for Jedi showing the Hero ESB Saber on his belt.

The saber on his belt is never actually seen in the ROTJ film.

We have pics that show a dueling saber that is very similar or the same as the ESB hero saber.

We have Dueling ROTJ pics clearly showing the "Episode VI Vader saber" with the cut off blade that has become the "Official" ROTJ Vader Saber

Do I have that all down???

So you could use either an ESB MPP or a Graflex ROTJ version and be fine for a ROTJ Vader saber??????

Thanks again.

Tom

Sym-Cha likes this.
  27. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

28. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now wait just one minute, is that the V2, used as a fencing saber?! I didn't think...I thought it was only a belt hanger, how'd they keep the blade in there? Hell...

Edit: I remember it was used backstage for fencing in ESB, I remember that video now. Still thought by ROTJ it was beat to crap but don't pay attention to me, carry on.....

29. Joker

So has anyone tried one of Pastor Jedi’s kits?

30. SethS

SethS Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Necrobump!!!!

I realized I have a manglked vintage lower and an empty 2.0 upper, so that's a decent start for a MoM/Faux ROTJ hero / stunt / DV6 lightsaber. Did you and Roy do a run of parts? IS Elvis Trooper still doing them? Does anybody have them and want to sell them to me?

thd9791 likes this.
  31. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never managed to create parts for this saber. I did the research and some initial accurate modelling, I even bought the MR limited edition version, but I never managed to arrange the manufacturing of all the parts. And it's quite a few: shroud block, clamp ring, clamp block, D-ring assembly, glass eye replacement knob, counter sunk hex bolts.
    I've been searching a ridiculous amount of hours for the real part vintage circuit breaker/ fuse supposedly used for the clamp block. I never even found anything remotely close. I lost my interest at a certain point.

32. SethS

That doesn't help me with making my own Roy! ;)

DON'T BE A QUITTER!

AnubisGuard and roygilsing like this.
  33. roygilsing

I know. I feel terrible about it. Devastated.

I also forgot to mention the double ball latch. I found the real part (Chaim has it as well) but it's impossible to find a whole batch of them.

Drew Baker and SethS like this.
  34. SethS

I get it-- it's just one of those mystery sabers.

Anyone know how close the parts on the Korbanth DV6 are? Suitable substitutes?

35. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I specifically bought Romans Gen2 Graflex in the hopes that someday there will be accurate parts available to make this saber. I'll keep hoping.

36. Drew Baker

Drew Baker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got a beat up, shiny vintage top that would be perfect for an RotJ Vader saber. I was hoping there was already an easy solution for conversion that I just hadn't seen yet. Drat.

SethS likes this.
  37. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm ready to go.... I just need to find a machine shop to drill the holes for me....

IMG_4191.JPG

38. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, this one haunts my collection. Still a gaping hole there without it.

SethS likes this.
  39. SethS

So clearly somebody needs to do a run of parts!

MakBzh and roygilsing like this.
  40. Drew Baker

MCM, SethS, Jediscum and 1 other person like this.
  41. Hecubus114

Hecubus114 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Years ago when I was making this saber for myself, the closest thing I ever found was a tire valve just like this, only it was missing that inner taper. This looks right to me! May have to make myself a new one!

Drew Baker likes this.
  42. roygilsing

Hi Drew, great find!
    It looks almost perfect, but not completely perfect. I think the inner bevel is slightly smaller as you can see on this picture:

[​IMG]

Drew Baker likes this.
  43. Drew Baker

Ah! Right you are, Roy.

roygilsing likes this.
  44. Hecubus114

Hecubus114 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the MR version looked very much like what you've found, which is what is triggering it looking "correct" to us...

45. SethS

It’s the closest thing I’ve ever seen.

AnubisGuard and roygilsing like this.
  46. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent freak’n find!!!

47. Drew Baker

A (not so) quick comparison photo. I was trying to match the inner bevel to see how closely the rest of the dome would match up.

close.jpg

(I used PureRef to hold the original photo in a transparent overlay over my camera's live view fed into OBS Studio over HDMI using an Elgato capture card. I think with a bit of practice it will be an excellent method for getting comparison shots, so I mention it. The software is pay what you like and free, respectively.)

Jediscum, SethS and roygilsing like this.
  48. Jediscum

Jediscum Well-Known Member

I picked one up today to set aside for a future build. Thank you for the heads up, Drew!

49. Drew Baker

Glad to help!

50. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Dang....that IS close! Really good find Drew!

Rich