Who else flies the mini/micro RC helicopters?

Gigatron

Sr Member
There used to be a thread here, on the subject, but the search brings up nothing.

Anyway, after the last thread on this topic, I purchased a Syma S107. Thousands of positive reviews. Unfortunately, I got one of the ones that suffered from coaxial drift, a.k.a. "Toilet Bowl Effect". I've tried every trick mentioned - polishing the connecting bone, the fly bar, the connecting points - everything. The replacement parts add up to just slightly less than a new helicopter.

So, after some research, I've settled on a JXD 335. Supposed to have a better quality gyro and better speed than the S107 - and it can be flown outdoors. I'm hoping to have it in the next week, or so.

I was just wondering what other's choice of micro heli, was, and what others they've compared it to.

-Fred

I got one of the 107s, based on a thread here, and it works really well. It does require perfectly still air. I have a Honeybee but I have never been able to get it to fly well. It works more like a real helicopter except the blade pitch is fixed and is harder to control.

this is the only thread i recall about the mini heli's
http://www.therpf.com/f12/rc-helicopter-question-90477/

I searched "rc helicopter", "rc" and "helicopter" - and the search function brought up zilch. But there was another thread, maybe around christmas time, where peope were discussing the types of mini RCs that they were flying. I think it was micdavis that suggested the S107. But, I can't seem to find the thread.

So, I guess we'll start a new one.

-Fred

There used to be a thread here, on the subject, but the search brings up nothing.

Anyway, after the last thread on this topic, I purchased a Syma S107. Thousands of positive reviews. Unfortunately, I got one of the ones that suffered from coaxial drift, a.k.a. "Toilet Bowl Effect". I've tried every trick mentioned - polishing the connecting bone, the fly bar, the connecting points - everything. The replacement parts add up to just slightly less than a new helicopter.

So, after some research, I've settled on a JXD 335. Supposed to have a better quality gyro and better speed than the S107 - and it can be flown outdoors. I'm hoping to have it in the next week, or so.

I was just wondering what other's choice of micro heli, was, and what others they've compared it to.

-Fred

The S107 is one of my favorite heli's. I've had no problems with it. Make sure your blades are tracked correctly and that the gears aren't skipping.
when you say toilet bowl effect, are you saying you just cant trim it to sit still? Like it either spins one way or the other? Or are you saying it wobbles and spirals?

I actually am wanting to get one of the air hogs rc toy ones possibly. I think it'd be fun to have one for indoors to annoy the cats and gf :lol

Maybe not in the same league as the ones you're talking about but I still want one :p

W have a couple of the Brookstone helis in the house. They are fun to zip around and if there are clam winds, they do fly well outside as well.

The Walkera CB100 is a beauty out of the box... small, stable and quick. Unfortunately after a few crashes I ended up with TBE and lost patience with trying to fix it. But if you are looking for a micro, this one is perfecto.

I started a mini-helo thread arounf Christmas, when my Daughter gave me the Aur Hog with the camera.

Then I bought a 107 and after learning to fly it started converting it to a Blue Thunder.

Then I got super addicted to flying them and had to stop.

Love them. Tons of fun.

But you gotta have patience.

The S107 is one of my favorite heli's. I've had no problems with it. Make sure your blades are tracked correctly and that the gears aren't skipping.
when you say toilet bowl effect, are you saying you just cant trim it to sit still? Like it either spins one way or the other? Or are you saying it wobbles and spirals?

It revolves around an imaginary center point, in a clockwise circle, with the nose always pointing in the same direction. Imagine putting the helicopter in the toilet, and then flushing.

From the ground, it'll hover just fine. But once I introduce forward or backward motion, it starts it's circling motion.

It's a well known issue among these little birds. It's usually caused by binding in the fly bar. Binding keeps the fly bar from correctly compensating for the coaxial rotation of the blades. It can't be fixed with trim adjustments or counter-steering. You need a new rotor head assembly.

-Fred

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I can trim my 107 to stable hover.

I took it completely apart and oiled and polished some of the parts. Tighetened it up a bit.

But hovering is no fun. I made lightweight rings out of alumium foil, added a hook to the front skid, made from a paper clip. I place the rings around the room and scoop them up.

It revolves around an imaginary center point, in a clockwise circle, with the nose always pointing in the same direction. Imagine putting the helicopter in the toilet, and then flushing.

From the ground, it'll hover just fine. But once I introduce forward or backward motion, it starts it's circling motion.

It's a well known issue among these little birds. It's usually caused by binding in the fly bar. Binding keeps the fly bar from correctly compensating for the coaxial rotation of the blades. It can't be fixed with trim adjustments or counter-steering. You need a new rotor head assembly.

-Fred

when you quit giving it forward or aft input, does the tail rotor stop completely? It does sound like either a bent fly bar or bad blade tracking. Try looking down the end of the fly bar and see if you can see a curve.

For the blade tracking, you can't do much on the S107 except try to bend the blade or replace them. If I remember correctly, there isn't a tracking adjustment on the blades.

I can trim my 107 to stable hover.

I took it completely apart and oiled and polished some of the parts. Tighetened it up a bit.

But hovering is no fun. I made lightweight rings out of alumium foil, added a hook to the front skid, made from a paper clip. I place the rings around the room and scoop them up.

I've oiled and polished everything, as well. still no joy. The fly bar is straight and I can't detect any warpage
in the blades.

You could take the foil rings and suspend them from the ceiling at different heights and make an obstacle course.

-Fred

Coaxial's are fun for a bit but after awhile they loose there appeal. Blade SR is pretty good but I really like my Blade MCPx. It's crazy fast is the only issue inside but fun none the less. :) The thing I like is once you get enough practice in you can go inverted. :thumbsup

I've oiled and polished everything, as well. still no joy. The fly bar is straight and I can't detect any warpage
in the blades.

You could take the foil rings and suspend them from the ceiling at different heights and make an obstacle course.

-Fred

Have you tried adding weight here and there?

I've got a micro mini type helo, recharges from the controller which uses several AAA batteries and relies on IR transmitting commands; I got it as an impulse purchase 3 years ago around Christmastime, and used it exactly twice. I only got it because it looked like "Airwolf"...

Put it back in the box and haven't used it since; What a wonderful waste of batteries, to charge the helo for an hour to gain 7 minutes of flight time...

I'm putting it in the JY for sale the next few days, cheap...

I received a Swann micro-heli for my birthday this year. Charges via USB, about one hour charge for 12 minutes of flight. Fun to fly around the house and chase the kids.

Tried it outside, but man it really does require perfectly still air to operate. Works great around my church sanctuary!

Lots of fun :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back