Who else flies the mini/micro RC helicopters?

hyperdyne, I was looking at the Blade msrx, in time maybe.... Gotta get a little basics first.

I'm not ordering anything till I get out Saturday and check a few "local" shops. But it's sure making for a long week.. :lol I wanna fly!!

On those hiroba lamas - what's the point of that tether? Are they all tethered or is it something that can be removed?

That msr-x is sick. I saw the price and thought it was a larger helo. Then I saw a video and it's the same size as the 107/335. But the things you can do with it, are incredible.

Dan, before you head into the city, check out some of the micro helo forums for a heads up on how to identify the knock-offs. I'm assuming, that if you're in new brunswick, you're heading into manhattan. Chinatown will be the largest source for these helos, but they'll also have the largest likelihood of it being counterfeit. But from what I've read, some of the counterfeits are actually better than the real thing, so go figure :lol.

-Fred

Thanks again Fred, I'm in New Brunswick Canada though, not jersey. ;) But that's a good tip, I'll poke around some of the forums anyway. Never hurts to learn a little bit..

:lol:lol:lol I didn't see the second line in your location :lol. I saw the "New Brunswick" on one line and assumed you had just left off the state.

This is the forum I used to read, when I first got into this whole hobby

Syma s107 Helicopter - RC Groups. There are some crazy, helo-smart people in there.

-Fred

Fred, you can get the hirobo without the tether. Its a different model number. The heli is really one of the best. Lots of copies of it but nothing quite like it.

For some random reason my parents decided to get me a little RC helicopter for Christmas from best buy.

I don't usually play with these things but since I saw the reaction my dog had to it, I play with it all the time. She goes absolutely ****ing ballistic when it's on. It doesn't even have to be flying, she'll see the lights flashing and get all excited.

Received S102g, S107, and the 4 ch JXD "Drift King" today. Coming from a complete newb, they all fly great and withstand some hard knocks.

In order of preference:
-The JXD is the easiest to fly partly due to the lack of a spring loaded throttle. You can set it to hover and actually put the controller down. Its a little pricier at ~$35.

- The s102g (shaped like a blackhawk) has a heavier feel to it than the s107 which seems to make it slower and easier to fly.

- With all that said, the s107 did not disappoint.

I'm heading out tomorrow to get my S107 (if they aren't sold out), but I've been youtubing that Drift King and I might have to go with that too. The side to side movement would be useful.

The drift king does look pretty interesting. I've seen some 4-channel micros that use outrigger fans, to move side-to-side. I wonder how the JXD pulls it off, without them.

-Fred

The drift king does look pretty interesting. I've seen some 4-channel micros that use outrigger fans, to move side-to-side. I wonder how the JXD pulls it off, without them.

-Fred

Yeah I've seen the "Avatar" mini's with the side fans. I'm thinking maybe the Drift King can tilt the top rotor somehow?

I watched a friend fly a syma S108G at work and bought one from an US seller on eBay as soon as I got home.

It looked like it was very easy to fly and it chrges with a USB cable.

Yeah I've seen the "Avatar" mini's with the side fans. I'm thinking maybe the Drift King can tilt the top rotor somehow?

Since the top blade and bottom blade run on different shafts (and counter-rotationally, for stability, I believe), I wonder if it's done by slowing down one blade, allowing the torque of the other, to pull the copter to one side...?

I watched a friend fly a syma S108G at work and bought one from an US seller on eBay as soon as I got home.

It looked like it was very easy to fly and it chrges with a USB cable.

The Symas are a ton of fun, to fly and pretty dang stable. I just wish mine hadn't suffered from TBE. The JXD charges the same way, so I just plugged the cord into the USB hub and whenever I want to fly, I just plug it right in.

-Fred

Well, went into the city today and of course the S107's were all gone. So I wandered into "Showcase" a store that sells stuff you see on TV. After barely making it past a mountain of eggies, I was going to get an Air swimmer cause it looked like fun, but then realized my cats would destroy it. So I grabbed a "Falcon 8" 3.5 channel mini heli. For $25 I figured why not..

Just about to take the maiden flight.. :D

Edit- Now THAT was fun! :lol One cat was scared to death, the other one was very curious. Once I got the trim set it hovered with no input (there is no spring in this remote). And it seems pretty tough, I dropped it on it's head a few times in the first flight

Last edited:
I got my Syma 108G yesterday. WOW, are these copters fun! And *stable*. I've had ones that I just *couldn't* get to fly; ZIP! up to the ceiling, BOOM! CRASH! or zip off where I didn't want it to go.

On its maiden voyage, I was able to make the 108G take off, hover, circle the room and land where I wanted it to. It's only gotten better from there.

Thanks, guys, for recommending the Syma! Once I hone my skills on this baby, I'll go back to those "unruly" copters and see if I can fly 'em!

Could someone post a picture of one of these helicopters please? I would love to see one.

USD18.99 - JXD 335 Racer 3CH RC Helicopter RTF w/ Gyro (Red) : Buy Align, ESky, Walkera, Skyartec RC Toys at RC-Fever.com

They pretty much all look alike, 8" tail to nose. There are some that look like military helos, such as the S108 (looks like a Cobra). There are some that look like Apaches and some that look like Chinooks. But for the most part, the majority look like the one in the link.

-Fred

We just got one of these for my step son for Christmas and it is an amazing bit of kit! Well, it was until we were taking the Turkey out of the gas oven and he chose that moment to lose control and accidentally fly it straight into the 'gas lit hanger deck' :lol
Suffice to say, it doesn't fly so good now.....
I have a photo somewhere of after the 'meltdown' :)

Someone suggested the Blade mcX RTF so I tried it out - yeah, I have the bug. This little guy feels much cheaper but the controls/performance are much improved. It has a true four channel feel and trim for X and Y on each stick. The killer is the left stick is used for throttle and direction while the right stick is used for left/right drift and forward/backward. As you can imagine, this is very different from the other helis described here and my brain has yet to adjust.

For your pros, is this stick layout the norm for the larger/better helis?

BTW: The drift is accomplished by slightly pitching the lower blade.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back