Where to get the correct masks from Eyes wide shut?

The actual shop that provided the masks for the film is still in Venice. It's just across the bridge directly North of Campo San Barnaba (best known as the library in Last Crusade).

Great little store.

Yeah in Venice, Italy. I was just there this year at the shop that made the actual masks used in the movie. Here's a photo of me wearing one. The owner can ship but this mask was around $300 USD. Just to let you know.

EWSmask.jpg

Hi Annisse,
Do you have any contact info for this shop?

Lovely mask!
Thanks very much,[
Chuck...QUOTE=Annisse;3496719]Yeah in Venice, Italy. I was just there this year at the shop that made the actual masks used in the movie. Here's a photo of me wearing one. The owner can ship but this mask was around $300 USD. Just to let you know.

View attachment 409847[/QUOTE]

Hi Annisse,
Do you have any contact info for this shop?

Lovely mask!
Thanks very much,[
Chuck...QUOTE=Annisse;3496719]Yeah in Venice, Italy. I was just there this year at the shop that made the actual masks used in the movie. Here's a photo of me wearing one. The owner can ship but this mask was around $300 USD. Just to let you know.

View attachment 409847
[/QUOTE]

I bought a mask there, I'll look and see if their info is on the tag.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I have just recently sorted out all of this information, as I am trying to complete the entire collection.

maskshopvenice.com in Amsterdam sources from several shops, and they do indeed have the right masks. However, they do not produce them, some come from Ca'macana. Ca'macana is indeed across from the Ciesa di San Barnaba, and they are one of MANY of the EWS mask shops. It is important to understand Kubrick's set buyer did NOT buy from one shop she went to many and bought from all of them to supply the set. Ca'macana is one of the original "revivalists" of the nearly lost Venetian mask tradition. Maskshopvenice has some kind of exclusive rights to the two most famous masks, Tom Cruise and the prostitute Mandy in the large round feather mask, which are on short supply, only 2 recieved on the shipment I waited for.

Ca'macana has a 'backroom" they will happily sort through for you to find the less well-known Eyes Wide Shut mask. I was lucky enough to get the last Capo mask they made for the Red Cape and the Butler's mask! When ordering the Plague Doctor and Bauto masks, note that the one used in EWS were the "antiqued" version. Also note tht buying direct from C'amacana is less expensive than buying from maskshopvenice.

http://www.camacana.com/product/bautino-antiqued/#.V32yMbgrK70

The more colorful and avante-garde style masks which do not look like "typical" venetian masks such as those with a matte colorful finish are produced by this gentleman, Guerrino, many of which are very expensive and out of stock, standard for such an old and venerable craftsman:

http://www.maskedart.com/collections/kubrick-line

Kubrick's set stylist went to many shops to get the best and most authentic look for the film. It is likely there is a mask in the film from every shop, some which don't have a website link

The original artist who made the films masks are twin brothers Sergio and Massimo Boldrin. They own two shops in Venezia. "La Bottega dei Mascareri" is the name.
You can find them easily on facebook, and this is the web: http://www.mascarer.com/
Hope it helps you.

La Bottega dei MascareriLa Bottega dei Mascareri

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from almost sunny Athens Greece.. Your post is great and thanks for all info, i commnunicated also maskshopvenice.com ans asked them about the tom cruise mask from the movie EWS. they talked me that they have the exact replica and in their site the pic is identical to the movie. Have you got it for your collection maybe? I wonder if this is the antique version like in the movie since in the pic its the same but in reallity? I found also the site of Camacana but still not contacted them to learn if they have it in stock ...
I put the link below of the mask from maskshopvenice.com .

https://www.maskshopvenice.com/en/costume-masks/eyes-wide-shut-mask-tom-cruise.html

I would be greatfull if you can reply ;)

Thank you
Alkis Athens Greece

Hello from almost sunny Athens Greece.. Your post is great and thanks for all info, i commnunicated also maskshopvenice.com ans asked them about the tom cruise mask from the movie EWS. they talked me that they have the exact replica and in their site the pic is identical to the movie. Have you got it for your collection maybe? I wonder if this is the antique version like in the movie since in the pic its the same but in reallity? I found also the site of Camacana but still not contacted them to learn if they have it in stock ...
I put the link below of the mask from maskshopvenice.com .

https://www.maskshopvenice.com/en/costume-masks/eyes-wide-shut-mask-tom-cruise.html

I would be greatfull if you can reply ;)

Thank you
Alkis Athens Greece

Algial, the Tom Cruise mask on the maskshopvenice website is the exact replica made by the same shop in Venice that made the originals for the movie. The mask has the typical craquelé finish as the original one.
Remember: the production bought (and used) a lot of masks from many shops in Venice, including Ca' Macana , but the three most important masks ( Tom, priest and woman) were all made by Il Canovaccio.

here's mine:

IMG_7163.JPG

Last edited:
Algial, the Tom Cruise mask on the maskshopvenice website is the exact replica made by the same shop in Venice that made the originals for the movie. The mask has the typical craquelé finish as the original one.
Remember: the production bought (and used) a lot of masks from many shops in Venice, including Ca' Macana , but the three most important masks ( Tom, priest and woman) were all made by Il Canovaccio.

here's mine:

View attachment 682235
Hello Fener
Many thaks for your kind reply . I see your mask and its beautifull..
By the way,I have found a way to call to Kartaruga (Il Canovaccio) shop) and speak (upcoming Monday) to the owner of the shop. i have been talked that he can make a mask for me. I canta wait to get such a fine piece of art at my hands.

In any case if i will not be lucky with Kartaruga will wait for stock on masks of venice ;)

Again many thanks
Alkis

If you are able to order directly from Kartaruga that is the best option! Good luck and let us know! :thumbsup

Last edited:
Hello Fener
Many thaks for your kind reply . I see your mask and its beautifull..
By the way,I have found a way to call to Kartaruga (Il Canovaccio) shop) and speak (upcoming Monday) to the owner of the shop. i have been talked that he can make a mask for me. I canta wait to get such a fine piece of art at my hands.

In any case if i will not be lucky with Kartaruga will wait for stock on masks of venice ;)

Again many thanks
Alkis

I wonder did you have any luck? I consider buying the mask at maskshopvenice but It looks slightly wrong. If you look at the picture on the website:

It looks like the mask misses the six "diamonds" on top of the mask. @Fener is your mask from that shop?

The original mask has a lot more diamonds and gold pearls than the mask sold by maskshopvenice. See my mask for reference: my mask has the correct number of diamonds.

IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back