where do you find your measurements?

Urbanmx

I am totally new to this, I just find it very interesting to see what some of you accomplish. I have a lot of questions, maybe you would share some of your knowledge with me. How do you get your measurements for some of these models? Do you just know that a mirror off an old jeep model is a certain part to your space ship or is there some kind of model kit list?

Some of it is based upon the actual measurements of the orignial S.S miniature.Reference books are super important,and over the last 10 years or so, some good reference materials have become available.Allot of that is also due to "the Internet". The Star Wars Chronicles, The Art of Star Wars series,Sculpting a Galaxy,and From Star Wars to Indiana Jones are all books that most everyone in here has,along with any other photo references you can find. Sometimes I think that the scales are based on the kit parts used on the kits,and if you are a HUGE fan of Star Wars(or any Sci-Fi) that you just imerse yoursef in the subject of interest. You do allot of H.W and find out all that you can on what you are wanting to make. There are also allot of Star Trek journels,magazines,technical books and web info that give out rough estimations of the scales the ships were made in.Cinefex Magazine(the old ones) have lots of good info and photos.I have a series of them myself that I often use for reference to detailing and weathering.

Interpolation.

Measure from books...are ROUGH at best.
You never know WHAT they measured from.

Find a kit part....find it on the model...and measure.

a/b = c/x

Where:

a = measure of real part shown in photo.
b = measure of some other item in the photo

c = meaasure of the part in your hand
x = Value your looking for.

its a ratio. Solve for X

You have to deal with things like, ANGLE of perception, and photographic distortion.

However, you can get really close.

Moe and I built two Millineum Falcons from the other side of the earth,..and our parts were interchangeable.

When we were hired to help with the MR falcon, ..Moe's blueprints were withing plus or minus 2mm of the engineering model that had been scanned and CnC'ed.

Frank

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back