When to seperate pieces of Iron Man Helmet?

langoleer

Hey Guys,

A few months ago I made an attempt at an Iron Man pep helmet, the pep came out pretty well, but I decided to seperate the piece before I bondo'ed them. I was using Epoxamite instead of fiberglass (cant seem to remember if I did the inside with fiberglass cloth before I took the pieces apart or not), but after I did a bit of bondo on the faceplate I realized pretty quick it wasn't going to fit back together and I scraped it.

Now I've just done the pep again and don't want to have this go down as a failure too. I have the pieces taped together (4 pieces) and was about to go do the outer coat of Epoxamite but thought I should ask you experienced Sers when the best time to cut the pieces apart?

i recently started pepping myself and from what i have read and seen online you slush cast the inside with rondo and glass outside, then filler and cut pieces with dremel. whats my plan anyway as im working on an iron man. am guessing your pieces flexed/sagged while curing so they didnt fit back together? im sure there are loads of ppl with better ideas on this than me otherwise try the search function

Well right I know I can do that or fiberglass cloth/coat the inside too and bondo the outside and i would be fine to cut it apart then, but then you lose things like the inner lip on the chin that faceplate rests on if you were to just cut the faceplate out. I guess there are worse things though.. oh well just thought I'd throw the question out there

Resin one layer outside, 2 or more inside. NEVER glass the outside, you'll lose all your detail. Slushcast the inside with rondo or your material of choice. I'd recommend using some fiberglass cloth on the "crown" or largest piece of the helmet. It really needs it to hold it's shape especially around the sides and the top vent. Once you think it's strong enough, cut it into it's parts.

I did the Sharkmark helmet and never attached the parts in the pep stage, I clipped them together with binder clips and reinforced it and when I took the clips off it just came apart.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back