What the HECK is up with people asking to buy something...and then flaking?

I think a simple policy of first person to get you the money gets the item works. Someone says to you "I want it but can't pay until Friday" tell them that's great, if it's still available on Friday you'll sell it to them then.

I *very rarely* hold anything for anyone (not that I sell boat loads of items) and I don't expect anything to be held for me. Aside from things like interest threads I don't chime in unless I can pay for it so when the "I'll take it" trigger is pulled payment is swift.

I can understand that people change their minds or run in to issues that prevent them from paying but there's no excuse for not communicating that. It's the same principle that says sellers should keep the communication lines open if there are any delays, problems, etc.

Steve,

I am sorry for being one of those flakes. I did contact you and ask to purchase an item and then exchanged info. I fully intended to follow through quickly on the deal but got sidetracked and forgot. I should have emailed and let you know and I didn't. I am sorry for this poor behavior and I won't let it happen again.

Alex

I've inquired about items before and sometimes not fallowed through. Unexpected life changes can often times divert your priorities but I always try and let the seller know if I cannot close the deal if something financially more important comes up.

you would be surprised how often i forget about major purchases i make. do you really sit down and think about your car any other time than when you need to go some where or get it worked on?

I actually had several people over at the TPZ (Trek Prop Zone) ask me to "Ban" them due to the fact they could not control themselves when it came to purchasing a for sale item on the board.

As for pics, regardless whether a bazillion people have seen an item or not, we have a constant influx of new people here who HAVEN'T seen the old threads, previous pics, etc. It's a judgement call, but people buy with their eyes.
:)
i agree. i would also think that it'd be so much easier for the seller to just post the images in the for sale thread than it would be to post them to each individual pm. i kind of feel like a seller thinks that he's better than me when he says that i have to request pics from him/her for some reason.... like i'm not good enough to be allowed to view images of some one's badass props without jumping through some hoops or boosting some one's ego before hand. no thanks.:unsure

I know I am putting my head out on the chopping block for posting on this thread, so here I go...

I have never emailed or pm SD Studios before, so I am not one of the so called " flakers " he refers to... Nor do I ever hope to be one...

As you can see I am still a new member here, and very happy to be able to see and lean from so many people here. To even be able to purchase such amazing props from member here. I am blow away by the talent you all have... ( I know enough ass kissing )..

Like "mrsmartypants", has mention about how it would help if you would show a pic on what you intend on selling, because is does help a lot for newbie as myself... I have read so many post on items "FS or "INT" that do not show a pic, but maybe a link that no longer show a pic... So I do a search on the forum here to find the item to only find were a photo use to be hosted by photobucket or a dead link...

I am also leaning (a must around here) abbreviation for movies and TV series.. To understand what someone is referring to... For example, "Doing a run of TNG-era Bat'leth. 1:1 scale, steel. Expressions of interest wanted.". I had no ideal what he was talking about until two day later after he posted a pic, then it all made sense to me..

As for your pic, "watermark" them... Have a pic or a working link makes it a whole lot easier for us newbies...

I wish I could afford to buy all the amazing props I see here, but since I don't have an endless check book,or deep pockets. I can only get the props that I can afford, or save up and get one that I really want... So if I ask a lot of question and want to see a pic of what you are selling I should be able to because, you are wanting (as they say) my had earn money, and your not giving away your props for free... And, I have yet to see one person here list in their post when they have something listed "FS" or "INT" saying 100% satisfaction guaranteed or you money back in full, no question asked? What type of guaranteed of "satisfaction" do I have, Let's say.. once I received a limited run items that took a month longer to get. Once I open it up I see it is no where near what was shown in the pic from the post (all Hypothetically speaking) what rights do I have to get my money back, or am I SOL?

As for backing out of a sale and not saying a word, only if I feel that I'm being mislead, or constantly lied to... I have bought from many people here already, and never once have been disappointed..

As for " Buyers are Lier's ", I just have to laugh at that... That's like saying that all car sale men are looking out for you....lol

Taking about liar's. Awhile back I went to a big box store looking to get a new phone for the house and garage. I told the sale men I wanted to put the base unit in the house and the cordless in the garage, and asked him about phone-A. He told me that the same phone his mom and dad have in there house and the cordless in the garage and it woks great!!
I told him I wanted to get back with him because I want look up more info on line about that phone...
Went back two days later and found the same salesmen asked him what about phone-B, and told him again about the base unit in the house and cordless in the garage. He now tell me the same story about his mom and dad again, but now with "phone-B" ? Now I was more confused in what I wanted to do about a phone.. Went back the next day to get a DVD and saw the same sale men in the phone department again, went over and ask about phone-C if it will work in the house and garage... Low and behold, same dame story. Mom & dad now has phone-C... So either he's a liar, or his mom and dad have three different phone in the house with three cordless in the garage...

Now if I take "kraaam", point of view. " All sales people are liar's "......

If you feel I'm throwing stones in somebody else's glass house, I'm sorry that wasn't my intent... Don't forget you all were new here once, and I'm sure when you made your first prop purchase you didn't do it with your eyes closed and didn't care what happen.

I'm learning, just give me some time............

Last edited:
I actually never worried bout the down payment till i had several people get the 'my wife got pissed because i bought this and have to get back my money'
thats fine when you have the product sitting there already, but when i spend 3 weeks on a sheild or 4 weeks on a sword, thats all that time waisted, i started doing a 'buyers remorse' non refundable downpayment. its half the total cost of the order. but i make it known upfront and in teh email i make sure that they are aware of it, and before i accept payment or when i do the paypal request i put it as a non refundable DP. though i have given refunds on occasion, the i forgot to pay my car payment or wife tried to smash out my teeth cause of what i bought doesnt make it.
anyway its up to those who sell to accept what they want from those that buy :)

i agree. i would also think that it'd be so much easier for the seller to just post the images in the for sale thread than it would be to post them to each individual pm. i kind of feel like a seller thinks that he's better than me when he says that i have to request pics from him/her for some reason.... like i'm not good enough to be allowed to view images of some one's badass props without jumping through some hoops or boosting some one's ego before hand. no thanks.:unsure

yeah, a few weeks ago someone was trying to sell a joker jacket they didnt have any pics for.

of course it wasnt even the right trench coat(hell, it wasnt even a trench coat...), so thats a major reason why they didnt have pics and gave people attitude over asking for them.

and a few weeks before that, someone was selling a batman begins suit, with out measurements but they made sure to let everyone know they wanted 2500 for it.

so, i third the pictures thing. if you want to sell it, have a picture. and have the sizes if its clothing.

And YES, Funky...I know you have been flaked-upon.

*sigh* Yes, sir, I have and indeed it does suck.
I keep a very special and updated list of the individuals who have flaked on me in the past. What stuns me is that after flaking, 6 months later they see something I'm selling and AGAIN ask me to hold it!!! Seriously? I mean, what the hell??? Then when I recant to them the last time they flaked (again, I keep ALL e-mails, PM's and records) I suddendly stop hearing from them due to their embarassment, I'm sure. :lol
You just have to spend enough time here and go with your gutt instict. Other than that, you're going to have to expect flakes from time to time. It simply can't be helped. :unsure

I'd just explain it with one of my experience as both a seller and a buyer

As a seller:
There's a 'potential buyer' asking me for more pics etc and provide with as detailed as i could by its conditions,and until i told how much the shipping cost was,gone(after a waiting a reply for more than a week). You didn't trust me? Do you want my address? i'll give you that. Cant reach through PM? Post on my thread. BTW did you know that THERE ARE sellers selling their stuffs for urgent reasons too?!!(hope i'm not one of them). At least you can say "no thanks",that will be awesome! :unsure i can erase your PM by doing that,and save some space for someone elses.

As a buyer:
So far,there's only one that i had problem with,wish will never happen again.
I always prompt and honest at communicating with this guy. I dont talk much or do anything i considered will be a pita for the seller,that i respect,even if he sounds like a ******. All of it before i 'go public' about it,but knowing that its too late,and my money's gone. He's banned now btw
I sounds like a perfect customer am i? but ended up screwed,how about that?
Why do i feel the need of providing a confirmed address for both just for this?

What is wrong with people having the balls to own up when they decide they don't want to buy something. Some of you are making excuses for people being stupid, there is no excuse for that. If you ask questions about something and tell the person you are going to buy it, have the balls to tell them you decided you don't want it anymore instead of going silent and not responding to emails or pms. It is one thing to forget, but when someone sends you an email, you can at least respond to it.

Thats right.
And even you got an email inform you have a PM,if your network is not at best. Check your settings.

I'm gonna add my email address on every PM i sent now lol

i agree steve. its a pain.

i recently got an pm saying "hi. is it still for sale? if so, let me know and ill send the cash"

so i say, yep, sure, give details.

reply" right thanks, im waiting to sell something so......blah,blah".

unfortunatly, it happens all the time and its boils down to a lack of respect.

I do think that pics should be posted in sales threads, it just seems like doing half a job otherwise because you know someone is going to ask for pics anyway

I agree 100%. Pics are always good...and I would not chide someone for asking for them. I was more-referring to people who ask for detailed information in multiple PM and e-mail exchanges and outright-state that they are going to buy the item (or ask for your paypal info) and THEN don't follow through with the sale.

Anyway...

Ok. I'll see your "flake" and raise you a jerk-off...

I have had TWO different individuals (one was recently banned) PM me regularly...as in many times.

"Is this still available? If so, I'll take it...what's your paypal?"

I respond politely with the info and a "thanks!!".

Nothing. (The item didn't sell yet.) They pop up THREE MONTHS LATER...

Same request.

I am a seller...I sell stuff...so I politely respond that I already answered that question three months ago, and here is the info again...

Nothing.

WEEKS pass. Then I get...

"STEVE! I am SO sorry for the non-response! I have been SWAMPED! Give me your paypal again and I will send you the money ASAP! SORRY!"

Yaaaah. It is sold. (Or I would pour gasoline all over it and burn it to ashes and scatter them over the grand canyon before I sold it to you).

I read later that BOTH of these guys were doing it to a LOT of members here. So I can only surmise that they are INSANE, as normal people just don't do that. Right?

Right???

One of them is still here. Yah. You know who you are. Ya tard.:angry

I won't name them, but one was banned for being addicted to a caffeinated beverage. :lol

Another board I use gives a temporary trading ban to those that enter an agreement to buy/sell and then pull out and also have a bad trader thread for those who do this constantly or swindle a fellow member.

Another board I use gives a temporary trading ban to those that enter an agreement to buy/sell and then pull out and also have a bad trader thread for those who do this constantly or swindle a fellow member.
I believe it does open the staff of this board up to more liability, the more involvement they have in the Junkyard. I wouldn't ask that of them.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back