What new films would you INSIST are masterpieces?

Moon
The Fountain
District 9
Sunshine
Shaun of the Dead
Pan's Labyrinth

These are some of the ones I consider masterpieces of modern cinema. I'm not saying they are flawless and the best movies, but all of them were special for me and many times I use them as reference when talking about how movies should be made.

I hope I could add The Avengers and/or Prometheus to this list next year... (crossing fingers)

kind hearts and coronets
The Lady Killers
The Sting
The Great Escape
Superman The Motion Picture
Raiders of The Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Citizen Kane
Dances With Wolves
Fantasia
Bambi
(actually, all the Walt-era animated features)
All Pixar's
The Big Lebowski
The Wizard of Oz
Schindler's List
Casablanca
Moon
The Game
Mary Poppins
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Goonies
The General
The Nightmare Before Christmas

Last edited:
By "new movies," I'm gonna take that to mean fairly recent, and restrict myself to the last few years.

Far and away the top of my list is Let the Right One In. To that I'd add Eternal Sunshine, Into the Wild perhaps might make the cut. Of all the movies I've really liked in the last few years, those are the ones I consider modern classics. Let the Right One In is pretty much not something any sane person would argue with. Your mileage might vary on those other two.

Somebody beat me to SPIRITED AWAY. Hands down a masterpiece. If you've never seen it before, watch it and try to predict what happens next. One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.

Saving Private Ryan
Big Trouble in Little China (it's effing perfect for the genre it represents)
Alien
ESB
Die Hard
Moon
Blade Runner

YES to Let the Right One In! Bonus points too, as the title is an homage to a Morrissey song.

nothing over the past couple years. Im afraid the Dark Knight will quickly age as it features and weighs heavily on technology.

Inception? Really? What a terribly dull and predictive movie that was.

Pan's Labyrinth I couldnt sit through, just bored me to death while trying too hard to be creative and different.

If I have to pick a "classic" id go with the English Patient and even thats going back 15+ years now.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back