What new films would you INSIST are masterpieces?

zubidoo

Everyone list movies that you would vehemently defend as being masterpieces of the 21st century. It may be one movie or several but you MUST pick films that you absolutely believe WILL be considered classics in the future. The purpose of this is to encourage somebody who may have watched a film and decided it was bad to give it another shot in the hope that it will grow on them. Please do your best to really think about the list that you make - give it a lot of thought. Here's my list of films that I initially hated and then grew to love (now I consider them to be masterpieces):

A.I.
Before Sunset
Black Hawk Down
Che
Dancer in the Dark
Dogville
Elephant
The Fountain
Kings & Queen
Munich
Waking Life

I've seen other underrated films that I would defend as being masterpieces but for now I'll just leave you guys with this list of the ones that I hated at first.

Last edited:
Captain America & Thor.

Mmm... I thought both of these were very mediocre movies. I think he's trying to ask, "what do you think people will still be watching in fifty years?" not "what do you like?" We know you're a comic book fan, but I sincerely doubt that these films will still be watched in half a century, let alone be considered considered classics.

The same goes for Star Wars. Star Wars and Empire Strikes back will probably still be around, and the other films by association; but if they weren't around, I doubt ROTJ could carry the weight of the Prequels by itself.

Mmm... I thought both of these were very mediocre movies. I think he's trying to ask, "what do you think people will still be watching in fifty years?" not "what do you like?" We know you're a comic book fan, but I sincerely doubt that these films will still be watched in half a century, let alone be considered considered classics.

The same goes for Star Wars. Star Wars and Empire Strikes back will probably still be around, and the other films by association; but if they weren't around, I doubt ROTJ could carry the weight of the Prequels by itself.

I shall watch these films until the day I leave this world.:)

Well he can list Captain America and Thor if he wants, so long as he understands what I'm asking for in this thread. When he lists those two I'm assuming that he thinks they are top-tier movies that he is going to insist are masterpieces, so therefore I'm going to personally watch them again (or in this case for the first time) to see if I can understand why he would vehemently defend them as classics.

Pan's Labyrinth
Brick
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Spirited Away

I'm a big Nolan fan so +1 for Inception, Memento, and The Prestige.

Well he can list Captain America and Thor if he wants, so long as he understands what I'm asking for in this thread. When he lists those two I'm assuming that he thinks they are top-tier movies that he is going to insist are masterpieces, so therefore I'm going to personally watch them again (or in this case for the first time) to see if I can understand why he would vehemently defend them as classics.

:) I would defend them both to the death. (True Story)

With the mindless blockbuster being the film du jour (pardon my french) in the states, I have been watching foreign films.

Some of my favorites are;

Goodbye Lenin
The Downfall
The Lives of Others

Any or all of these could be considered classics, right up there with Citizen Kane. You should give these a consideration.

Wow...aside from the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings sagas...

Saving Private Ryan
Inception
The King's Speech (Such an awesome flick)
Slumdog Millionaire
Gladiator

My list is way too long, but amongst other mentioned already, what springs to mind in a flash is the BTTF trilogy and of course, Indiana Jones.

Inception definitely makes my list, along with Up and The Prestige. I also really liked District 9, and would argue it'll eventually be considered a great movie as well.

One I didn't enjoy, but think will stand the test of time, is No Country For Old Men. Extremely well-done, but dark, dark movie.

If we're not sticking to the 21st century, I'd throw The Shawshank Redemption in there as well.

Anything Pixar
You guys including Cars2? You sure, anything Pixar?

21stc only...hmmm...tough one. How about Memento? No love for Nolan's breakthrough movie? Honestly there's just been not much that I've felt was compelling the past decade. And <<facepalm>> of course, No Country as well as There Will Be Blood.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back