What Kind Of Tools Do I Need To Use?

Hey Sliced,

20130608_111439.jpg

These are the main tools I use, in addition I use a rolled up ball of aluminium foil and also varying thickness of plastic from cling film to thick freezer bags to help soften some of the details.

1, 2 and 3 - these I use to remove clay and add in details. The top edge of #1 i use to soften the edges once I have sculpted in some details.

4 - This i use for fine lines and wrinkles. This is essentially a needle wedged into the tip of an Exacto knife.

5 - This is a rubber tipped tool which I saw Don Lanning use in one of his videos, pretty good for carving in major wrinkles and creases.

6 - 1 1/2" paint brush for sweeping away the little bits of clay that stick to the sculpt and also soften details a little.

I haven't got round to using any of the 101 ways to soften and smooth the clay (i think it depends on the type you have) such as white spirits, varying percentages of alcohol, d-limonene (particularly underfriendly stuff but works a treat apparently), so I can't help you with that bit yet and also talcum powder/baby powder which apparently can be used for very final smoothing.

Giles

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back