What is your favorite movie mistake?

Indiana Jones: Oh, Marcus. What are you trying to do, scare me? You sound like my mother. We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus.

Really Indy? The sight of a man getting his heart torn out of his chest and still be alive is perfectly natural? Or that being dipped into lava causes his disembodied heart to erupt in flames and turn to ash? Or being mind controlled by drinking evil blood? Or be able to summon the power of the stones by speaking in a foreign language?
Hey, I've seen both of the Matrix sequels and all three of the Jaws sequels; doesn't mean I believe in any of 'em. :D

Indiana Jones: Oh, Marcus. What are you trying to do, scare me? You sound like my mother. We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus.

Really Indy? The sight of a man getting his heart torn out of his chest and still be alive is perfectly natural? Or that being dipped into lava causes his disembodied heart to erupt in flames and turn to ash? Or being mind controlled by drinking evil blood? Or be able to summon the power of the stones by speaking in a foreign language?

Okay, so Indy was suffering from a form of PTSD then. Temple of Doom was so traumatic he put it out of his mind (certain elements of that film I wanted to put out of my mind). :D

I know it was A LONG time ago, but the Top Gun gripe about not using F-86s I'll give a pass to since when you've got access to Navy F-14 instructors and Top Gun instructors flying their normal aircraft on their own time, THAT is what you use since the pilots know those planes the best and each other. An F-86 or two would require hiring other pilots who knew how to fly them, ones who may or may not have done ACM work recently. Each of those scenes was heavily scripted for maximum visual impact and safety. Introduce a new element and safety can go down.

I concur about no use of guns though, especially at THOSE ranges when a missle hit might FOD out an engine on the pursuing plane (but they had to do it to get it to all fit in the camera view). Why F-86s anyway? Didn't Airwolf give you enough of those getting shot down? :D

Okay, as for some of my favorites:

A scene from ANH where after Tarkin says "She lied, she LIED to us" and Vader replies "I told you she would never consciously betray the rebellion" his hand moves like he is making a point about two or three seconds AFTER he speaks.

A scene I HATED in SE version of ANH (and yes, I HATED the greedo shot scene edit, but this isn't it) was Ben Burtt's re-edit of the sound effects during the power trench gun battle. Originally, you hear the ground breaking laser blast sounds... so for the SE, what do they do? When Leia is firing the Stormtrooper gun, it sounds like a 22 pistol from a cop show. A cop show pistol going "bang" and not "zap" or "pew"? First time I heard it, I just shook my head as it took me OUT of one of the most iconic scenes in the film as it sounded too comedic. Its in the TV edits that normally get shown as well. Thankfully, it seems as though they purged that stupid bit for the DVD edits.

Messed up hair changing from scene to scene is one of my favorites. I've seen it a couple times in films, but a favorite is in the Astronaut Wives episode of "From the Earth to the Moon" when Mrs. Borman rushes out of a hair dresser with her hair still messed up, sits at a table with messed up hair for a long shot, has good hair in the closeup, then goes back to messed up hair in the longshot.

Boom mikes dropping in is another favorite. The Buck Rogers pilot had a boom mike drop into the frame (bloody obvious in a bright white room) for about three or four seconds. And they didn't do a reshoot! Oops.

Flip flopped shots are another one. ESB had Admiral Piett's rank insignia flip flopping on his uniform as Vader asks him if they have prepared the tractor beam to capture the Millennium Falcon, and again a little later.

As far as "bloopers" that were not scripted but remained in the film as plot points... There was the F-14 in Final Countdown that had to drop its nose inverted behind a Zero as it looked like it was a hair from going into a stall. Unplanned, but they pulled tight on it with the camera to make it look like it pulled out just above the water (when he was still a couple hundred feet up) and edited in a nice sound effect to make it look like it was planned since it was very dramatic footage. A couple Admirals who saw the film asked the Navy pilots who were in it after they saw the film "...and how LOW did he go?"

The full rudder turn and skid on a runway in the original 1969-70 "Airport" film as I understand it wasn't planned to go that way. The 707 aircraft I believe was only supposed to come to a stop just in front of the runway lights, but skidded either on ice or the pilot got startled by a camera crew at the end of the runway threshold and put the thing into a skidding turn to avoid an accident. It sure as heck was very dramatic to watch when they edited in a bit of the actors on the flight deck set going hard over on the rudder pedals (and the rudder WAS hard over to one side in the long shot of the plane).

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the sceen in ROTJ between Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams just before the big battle and Ford is talking about not seeing the MF again. Williams character is flip flopped each time you see him. One time his shoulder holster is on the left, the next see it is on the right. This has bugged me from the first time I saw it and as someone has said, I can't unsee it.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the sceen in ROTJ between Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams just before the big battle and Ford is talking about not seeing the MF again. Williams character is flip flopped each time you see him. One time his shoulder holster is on the left, the next see it is on the right. This has bugged me from the first time I saw it and as someone has said, I can't unsee it.

Then don't pay attention in the same movie when Boba Fett draws aim on Leia (Boussh)- that's flipped as well.

And for hair lengths- pay attention to Dorothy's pig tails during the first half or so in Wizard of Oz.

Okay, so Indy was suffering from a form of PTSD then. Temple of Doom was so traumatic he put it out of his mind (certain elements of that film I wanted to put out of my mind). :D

I'm not so convinced. After all, the Indy depicted in TOD is a very rash selfish kind of character. He deals with mob groups and is doing Archeology for "fortune and glory". Never once does he go "This should be in a museum!". But at the end of the movie, he doesn't really care about fortune and glory and comes out a better person for helping that one tribe with their cult problem. If he completely put those events out of his mind, he would still be in Archeology for the fortune and glory.

Then don't pay attention in the same movie when Boba Fett draws aim on Leia (Boussh)- that's flipped as well.

And for hair lengths- pay attention to Dorothy's pig tails during the first half or so in Wizard of Oz.

Now you've done it. I'll never be able to watch Wizard of Oz without looking at the pig tails?:lol

In the original Battlestar Galactica pilot when Apollo and Zac go out on patrol there is a Cylon ship right behind them for about 1 frame.

In the Matrix, my favorite movie of all time. When Neo and Trinity go to save Morpheus. Morpheus is holding on hanging from Neo's arm and you can clearly see the safety wire coming from his sleeve. Also in the same scene when the agents are on the roof, you can cleary see the camera crew in the reflection of their sunglasses.

There's a very serious scene (the infamous "they put one of ours in the hospital, we put one of theirs in the morgue" speech) in The Untouchables in which Sean Connery is shot in a very tight close-up. Each time the camera cuts back from Kevin Costner's reaction shot, Connery's collar is open, then closed, then open, then closed, then ...

Many years ago there was a made for TV movie that took place in the 1700 or 1800s. There was clearly no budget and everything was shot in an existing location, including the interiors. There was this scene where a young couple is discussing eloping or something and there's an air conditioner plainly visible mounted in the wall behind them.

Last edited:
Mine is Blade i recall seeing a scene where they show buildings and the time is sped up from night to day or reverse. Anyway you can easily see a spider scale the side of the building model... GM

When Gandalf hits his head on the ceiling at Bag End! When he ran into the chandelier, it was on purpose, but when he hit his head on the wood... i dont really know what to call that thing, hah.. BUT that was unintentional and PJ thought it was so funny they kept it in the film :p

In Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Jones gets on the submarine and somehow gets to the island with the sub-pen.
If it submerged he would drown, and if it traveled on the surface there would be lookouts on the conning tower.

Marvel comics did a comic adaptation of the movie and in it, it shows the explanation. The sub only sank to periscope depth, so Indy tied himself to the periscope with his whip (to which he actually fell asleep?!?!) when they approached the island he cut himself loose and swam to the island and snuck in.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark_(comic)

There have been some great examples brought up and I'll have to re-watch a heap of movies just to look for parts I've clearly missed.

Apart from the kid pointing to his junk in BTTF3, my favorite film for goofs is COMMANDO. It just has so many. Too many to list here.

I only read the first and last couple pages so I don't know if this was mentioned, and it's not really my favorite just the only one I can think of at the moment.

It's in the episode of Buffy where she gets staked by a vampire in the stomach and then has Spike tell her how he defeated the two slayers he killed (Season 5 ep Fool For Love). When they leave the Bronze and he tries to kiss her she knocks him on the ground then throws the money on him, and you can clearly see... Well I don't know what exactly they're called but the things that the actors mic's are connected to is attached to his belt under his coat...

There's a very serious scene (the infamous "they put one of ours in the hospital, we put one of theirs in the morgue" speech) in The Untouchables in which Sean Connery is shot is a very tight close-up. Each time the camera cuts back from Kevin Costner's reaction shot, Connery's collar is open, then closed, then open, then closed, then ...

:facepalm That is one of the obvious and hard-to-ignore mistakes in an OSCAR winning, nominated and casted & crewed film.

I still personally enjoy 'Boom in the shot' or classic 'camera and crew reflections or shaddows' in older films. :lol

:facepalm That is one of the obvious and hard-to-ignore mistakes in an OSCAR winning, nominated and casted & crewed film.

Well, the question was "what is your favorite," not "what is your favorite ... but no citing anything no one else noticed or that won any sort of award."

My most recent favorite is from "Cloud Atlas", which I watched last night. When Jocasta (Halle Barry) falls on the ground during her and Zachry's (Tom Hanks) fight with the Kona, one of the Kona warriors jumps on her back and tackles her to the ground. Her cape gets all wrapped around her head and she falls to the ground with her cape still draped around her face. In the next shot, she's laying on top of her cape. Its nowhere near her face anymore. You know, not a super significant break in continuity, but still. I raised an eyebrow and chuckled a little.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back