What is the difference between inks and "normal" colors ?

bendrago

I am getting ready to start painting my pred costume, after reading a ton about painting here I have decided to go with pros-aide (well, aquafix in my case) layered with paints
but am still wondering what is the difference between inks (fw inks or bombay inks have been mentioned here) and "normal" airbrush paints like createx ?
Inks are more expensive, at least here in Finland, but what other differences are there ?

I am getting ready to start painting my pred costume, after reading a ton about painting here I have decided to go with pros-aide (well, aquafix in my case) layered with paints
but am still wondering what is the difference between inks (fw inks or bombay inks have been mentioned here) and "normal" airbrush paints like createx ?
Inks are more expensive, at least here in Finland, but what other differences are there ?
inks are absorbed, paints cover. hope i can be a help :(

i'm new to airbrushing also but from what backbone says the inks will be absorbed or soak into the thing you are painting and the regular paint will just cover the object you are painting. am i right?

Inks also have a translucent quality to them, while paints are opaque, making them better for layering and washing. Inks also tend to be more vibrant, from what I've read and been told by a couple of art store employees. FW Inks

now the question is what is your suit latex or a lycra muscle suit. either paint will work well with a latex suit, what do you guys think would be the best for a muscle lycra suit? sorry if i am post stealing

now the question is what is your suit latex or a lycra muscle suit. either paint will work well with a latex suit, what do you guys think would be the best for a muscle lycra suit? sorry if i am post stealing

It's latex, and steal away :) we are all here to learn.

And to continue my line of questioning ... my latex pieces are different colors, skins are yellowish, head is white and hands / feet are reddish, I thought that it would be wise
to paint them all white before starting the actual paintjob so there wouldn't be a color difference between the parts, am I totally on the wrong tracks ?

I have used both acrylics and inks on more than a few latex costume pieces and also on two full costumes.

What I have learned is that Inks(fw inks) are superior. They are very vibrant colors, easily spray thru an airbrush. Acrylics from an art store need to be thinned down to be spraysble, even then they are not easily sprayed thru and airbrush.

Since taking the leap to fw inks, i will never use anything else.

Some similarities between the two. Both are water based, both require the use of prosaide or proadhesive.
Both need to be sealed with either permawet or a new product I use.

The new product is Plasti-dip. It comes in aerosol spray cans and is a rubberized clear coat.
When I fo not use the perm wet the paint chips right off!!!

Need some more tips just ask. Alot of people here are paint experts.

Goodluck.

Gene

I have used both acrylics and inks on more than a few latex costume pieces and also on two full costumes.

What I have learned is that Inks(fw inks) are superior. They are very vibrant colors, easily spray thru an airbrush. Acrylics from an art store need to be thinned down to be spraysble, even then they are not easily sprayed thru and airbrush.

Since taking the leap to fw inks, i will never use anything else.

Some similarities between the two. Both are water based, both require the use of prosaide or proadhesive.
Both need to be sealed with either permawet or a new product I use.

The new product is Plasti-dip. It comes in aerosol spray cans and is a rubberized clear coat.
When I fo not use the perm wet the paint chips right off!!!

Need some more tips just ask. Alot of people here are paint experts.

Goodluck.

Gene

Thanks, I do know what plasti-dip is, I have used it quite a lot when I did my batman costume (check http://kuvat.aniki.fi/displayimage.php?album=398&pos=132 click on the picture to enlarge it)
I planned on sealing the paint job with liquitex gloss medium & varnish as it is available in finland and a few others here have used it.

Almost the only question still hanging in the air now is the one I asked on my previous post, should I first paint everything with a "base coat" to get the colors to match.

Apparently (from what I’ve been reading so far on FW inks and fabrics) It may very well be possible to use these inks to color a body suit, if it’s a body suit made mostly of cotton. I have a cotton /Lycra body suit (90% cotton/10% lycra) That I may use FW inks on...( FW or 'golden' fluid acrylics)
I’ve found postings made by people using FW inks on cotton sheeting used for quilting and they love the out come.
http://judyperez.blogspot.com/2011/01/you-...-try-these.html
~Estelle

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back