What is the best Ep III Clone Armor?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Gytheran, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Ok, I've caught the clone bug and want to put together a nice costume...

BESIDES Clonesix armor(which I know is sweet and would absolutely love to have(hint, hint, if you see this clonesix :))), what is the best Episode III Clone armor out there?

You can use abbreviations or PM me if you wish, but I'm just asking for a general idea of what I should be looking for. If you would like to help me further, be my guest, I would be most appreciative. :)

Thank you,

~Joe

2. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

I'm curious also :)

3. hirgon

hirgon New Member

Once i get my Vader to a point where i am semi-happy (its never eally completed)......i am undecided as to eith go clone or storm trooper.

I would like to see whats out there for clone armor (all i have seen are the helmets so far) to help me in my decision making.

4. WhiteCommando

WhiteCommando Well-Known Member

Hmm, I know a guy that is making fan-made clone armor that will rival (or excede) Clone6's in quality. I met Clone6 at Celebration 3 and I complimented him on his suit, and he said..."yeah, thanks." and turned away. I believe he only makes for a super short list. I asked 2 years ago and got a blunt "No. I do not sell armor, good bye."

Anyway, I know of 4 (out of 5) of the best clone armor makers (and I am very friendly with 3), as well as 2 of the best fan-made helmet makers (both friends too) on www.clonetroopers.net forum, you know, since I am the detachment artist there.

So, I will put the appropriate recommendations in for you guys, specifically, on that forum. AND, I believe, all of them have been watching the attention to detail in regards to the fan-made helmets.

Well, I will give them a heads up, so to say. If they can't help you, keep trying with C6. Best of luck.

Cheers,

John
    :lol

5. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ooo. Me too.

6. WhiteCommando

Here is a brief gallery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My conversion to Vader's Fist...

[​IMG]

My suit is a combination of 4 fan-made armorer's components, and some parts made by me. I sent the armorers, who I know, e-mails with the names of the interested parties from this string. So, really, best of luck.

As far as clone trooping... My suit has been well received, and I won 1st place in a Halloween costume contest this year against over a dozen pro-level costumers. You know, it really felt good. Though, I was wearing a fan-made helmet...shoot, it is all fan-made.

Regards and Good Hunting.

John

7. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

Shilling for Glover White Commando?

8. WhiteCommando

And you the same for clone6? I read your posts (flames) on TDH on the clone armorers. Seems the CoC works business as usual there. Open flames are prohibited there...right?

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=10529

As a matter of fact, true, some components of my suit are MG, but it is a work in progress by other armorers components as well. But the juicy part is there is a new armorer (well, 2) that makes similar or better armor than C6...and without the condescending, elite, and reclusive attitudes. Watch for a full revision of my suit.

And if you like, tell clone6, I was the person (since he was wondering in open forum who he had wronged) he was rude to... right to my face at Celebration 3 (and I was in a tee-shirt and jeans and no clone armor)...

[​IMG]

And that story is not the only one. Oh well, so over that, just working on refining the grand army's options.

Good to see you goat, been a while. I missed your sharp wit.

:lol

9. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

:rolleyes

10. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Although I have only had a few email exchanges with Clone6 I found him both times to be patient and courteous....sorry you didn't have the same experience but I think it was the exception and not the norm.

I owned a Glover suit and was VERY happy with it and I believe people were adequately impressed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

awesome suit's WC and Mantis :thumbsup

12. darthgoat

My posts on TDH were not at all flames. Glover owes people product or refunds and has for sometime. His attitude towards recasting others work is reprehensible.

Furthermore Glover is a banned member here with good reason. If you choose to deal with him you do so at your own peril.

13. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Darthgoat is right... Mike G. is banned from the RPF. Please do not attempt to generate sales, advertise, or tout his products here.

Lonnie
    RPF Staff

14. WhiteCommando

With respect, rocketeer25, it was Darth Goat that brought up the "Glover" issue. He said I was Shilling for him. Please note in my posts prior to that, there was no mention by name of any of the component makers of my suit (which contain parts from 4 individual and distinct makers), and after I was spurned by goat, I did say there were "MG" components in my suit. And by acronym only.

rocketeer25, this is a personal thing, not an objectivity argument. Goat has a past TDH vendetta with me for some reason.

And if you read deeper in my posts about my suit and plans moving forward, please note...
    "As a matter of fact, true, some components of my suit are MG (<-AGAIN, ACRONYM ONLY), but it is a work in progress by other armorers components as well. But the juicy part is there is a new armorer (well, 2) that makes similar or better armor than C6...and without the condescending, elite, and reclusive attitudes. Watch for a full revision of my suit."

"WATCH FOR A FULL REVISION OF MY SUIT." is pertaining to a new armorer that I am acquainted with, but will not divulge due to the heat in this string, and the level of hospitality shown to me concerning this. Feel free to lock this thread if anything I have just said is of offence or violates CoC.

So no ads, no sales, just answering questions.

Lastly...Peril? Is goat threatening me by getting a moderator to become involved, then get me banned because I try to defend myself? I would like to know how honest I can be here, of course, with the highest possible level of objectivity.

R25, feel free to PM me if you like to have a private conversation and some insight.

With Regards,

John <- just a guy covered in plastic clone armor.

15. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

WC,

I have no knowledge of any history between you and darthgoat.

My only concern is that you may be putting members of the RPF in contact with MG off-board, and that those members may not know of MG's sordid history.

He is banned from the RPF, and shilling for banned members (whether or not you named him in the thread is irrelavent) is not allowed.

PM me if you need further clarification.

Lonnie

16. darthgoat

I have no vendetta with you WC. I'm not sure where you are getting that from.

17. WhiteCommando

I guess it was the "shilling" remark. No big deal. I am trying to remember to be in this for fun. Isn't that what it is supposed to be? Fun? I believe so.

I want to change my RPF ID to Mister Fun Guy. Can I do that without being a sock puppet?

Later,

John

18. darthgoat

19. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

OK, now that we know from whom NOT to buy clone armor, whose armor SHOULD we buy?

20. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Thank you. :)

21. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

Bottom line is there are only acouple guys that have done "good" clone armour... those couple of guys have no interest in selling to the general public (which is understable).

22. WhiteCommando

You have to get it from a couple of guys that don't sell to the general public as Saxe Coburg said. Which makes it quite challenging I imagine. The best bet is to watch ebay, and buy one that was pre-owned. You may have to pay extra, but a lot of work is done...you just mainly tweak.

That being said, I may sell my current suit in a month or two. But, I will probably sell it on the clonetroopers board since RPF members cannot buy it due to it's origins and the remarks by mods. It has been a good suit.

Later,

John

23. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Maybe in time, others with good quality armor will be willing to sell. I plan to have a set in my collection in the not too distant future.

24. soltic

soltic Active Member

I'm on the fence about alot of things including clone armor w/ what MR is doing.

I mean I put together the most screen accurate SE Fett 2 yrs ago for the budget I had (which was IMO a goooood chunk), which included a slightly modified MSH2 (Chris, u still the best).

Started researching ST armor & now clone armor too.

But the recent MR releases (Clone & Vader buckets), plus the scheduled releases (ST & Fett buckets plus Fett blaster) & supposed costuming releases (AS & OWK) makes me want to sit the fence.

I know this has been discussed but does anyone else feel the way I do?? Possible MR armor / kits??

I mean my resin Fett blaster is great for trooping, but an MR should be alot better (barring 30 pounds).... geez, I really only need 1 of everything, but wants are a different story... lol.... :D

25. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

It's very good (both Ep II & Ep III versions, which continuously improve). Ultimately it's finishing and details if the base armor is correct as can be. Some people excel more at helmets than armor and vice versa, but options are great.

26. WhiteCommando

I get the impression that if any one wears Glover Armor, they are free targets of ridicule.

I actually do not know if Glover recasted his clone armor, or who from, or if the clone armor is a recast. I do know Glover admitted to recasting some Star Wars items a long time ago, he took some punishment, and apologized and said it was when he was a newbie starting out. That is all I know...and no more. I am sure all the facts are being shared via PM...so, bring it in open forum with proof, or quit the flaming.

That being said, so anyone wearing recognizeable Glover Armor should not be depended upon as a valid resource for people seeking clone armor here? Take a poll and ask me if I should leave or not. I will abide either way.

Here is an interesting analogy...I heard there was a recaster on thedentedhelmet, and insiders will know who I am talking about by the info I offer, without any flaming occuring. The story I heard was 18-24 months ago, a Fett helmet recaster (either a screen used or DP deluxe) gifted helmets to all the moderators of thedentedhelmet so they would "grandfather" him in, or turn a casual eye towards his recasting. I bet every TDHer here knows who I am speaking of. Not to mention there is so much incestuous recasting on TDH, it could not be handled in an objective and reasonable way by leadership...just witch hunts and favoritism.

That being said, I know many clone armor makers (including Michael). Perhaps more than anyone on this forum. If the mods, or burned and/or bummed out old-timers here want to dismiss me to make a point (as some continued punishment to Michael), then they make it hard for a large population of RPFers to get clone suits. And if you want to flame me for being honest here, go ahead, and I will feed all this information to every clone armor maker that I know. It won't make it easier to get suits...but harder.

I ask a favor from clone armor seekers, please check remarks from guys flaming me. I am not trying to incite anything, I just would appreciate it. This has become real crummy and I have gotten some *-filled PMs to boot.

John

27. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Can we please leave the Glover discussions out of this? That's not the point of this thread.

I would be most appreciative if we could take the debate elsewhere. :)

Thanks.

28. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

heres a question to bring this back OT, has anyone come up with an accurate ep. 2 clone unersuit?
    next question, are the undersuits the same in ep. 3?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

these reference shots i found at studiocrations

29. WhiteCommando

Hey Joe,

I appreciate your level-headed response. I was mainly addressing some harsh PMs saying I was shilling for him...mainly from some TDH guys with a grudge towards me. I do not do Fett anything, anymore, period. And, MG has been generous to me, and I have not had any issues with him, whatsoever. Others may have, and they light him up in several forums.

And the reason it became a debate was because I was warned not to help sell his stuff here in PMs I received, and some pretty warm posts in the open string.

So, if I wanted, I could not even sell my current suit, though it has armor from 3 other makers integrated into it. So, I am hobbled a bit, since I may want to liquidate this suit to get a new suit from another maker.

I know several makers of armor and helmets. My next suit will not be a MG suit. That being said, I can't say anything bad or negative about my current suit since I only get compliments about it (except the RPF is the only, single place that I have been insulted and treated rudely, merely for knowing MG and wearing his armor...and for being banned on TDH), and I won a costume contest the only time I ever competed in one. It is a good suit, that by its design, fits many people, big and small, fat and thin. I am both very tall (6'2") and pretty fat (250 lbs.).

[edit by mod--no sale info]

And agreed, no more debating, let's turn this into a resource for guys wanting clone armor...not a flame room with threats. Man, I have been threatened so much on RPF, I am tired of it.

Regards,

John

30. synasp

synasp Sr Member

John, please drop the Glover talk and stop trying to sell suits here. New members cannot sell on the RPF for the protection of both senior and new members.

I'm sorry if you feel attacked, but recasters represent all that is evil and wrong with this world. They steal and have no regard for others. But worse, at the end of the day, they can still live with themselves.

To me, there is no moral difference between recasting and breaking into someone's home and looting their personal items. Just because you "didn't do it" doesn't mean you're not as guilty if you knowingly pass off stolen goods to others.

If you want to broker stolen goods, it is not welcome here. Otherwise, you're very welcome to post as you wish under the CoC, and I hope to see you create and contribute to the community here in the future. If you have anything furthur to say, PM me directly, and do not post furthur about Glover. Thanks.

31. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

This is getting lame. :angry

32. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Sorry. It was not my intention. :unsure

33. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

its lame that no one can really offer anyone here an alternative to buying recast garbage.

my input here is:

i would rather make my own, with no sculpting ability whatsoever, and have ti come out like crap and look like a fool, than buy the finest looking recast on the market. lets hope sometime in the near future someone will start selling some good stuff

and what about that undersuit???

34. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I believe the armor itself did not change from Ep II to Ep III, except for the helmet. It would stand to reason the undersuit is also the same... that is if they did not come up with completely new CG files for Ep III. :)

35. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

my two cents...

I think the armor is essentially the same from Episode II to III... however, some of the Koto models show the elbow armor different than the Episode II stuff. Even from screen caps, it's hard to tell if this is correct in Episode III. I also think the black undersuit is the same, too.

And lastly, with regards to other armor options... while I do not consider myself a vendor, I am taking on the task of making Episode III clone armor myself. I'm only 50% done, so please no inquires. UNK Clone Armor

36. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I wait patiently in anticipation of the fine work of the talented individuals here.

:D

37. IanL

IanL New Member

It's strange how people talk about sellers (MG and others) as offering recast suits, yet obviously no one sells or offers original suits. If it was recast, what was it recast from?

38. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

hows about the mods just come in here and delete any post about the whole "recast" issue and get this thread back on track????

WC, if people are attacking you via PM, respond via PM, no need to bring it to the board

39. NEOGELION

NEOGELION New Member

The MG clone armor is not recast in any way, shape, or form. He has revised his armor several times(at least 5), and several people have recast his armor. Maybe that's where some confusion comes in. MG and MM7 have been making clone armor the longest. BM has also started making armor but it is not widely known or distributed. KAW has finally started producing their armor, but it is only for the people who ordered it(?). C6 only sells armor to a select few. There are a few other people(CMN) who are starting to make armor, but they are still in the planning/producing stages(?).

40. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

MG's armor is not recast armor.

41. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I didn't ask if it was, or not.

42. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

Personally, think it'd be awesome to see a side-by-side show-off comparison of the different fan-made suits out there.

I own a V1 and mostly V3 Glover suit (that I like a lot despite my personal feelings towards him, but I have replaced some parts with those of other armorers) and I'm thinking about getting an IDS suit. I've seen pics of the C6 helm, but not close up armor shots, and I've yet to see pics of an MM7 set.

43. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

I might post some pictures of my Clonetrooper sculpt this week. Im using a lot of computer technology to ensure accuracy on this project. Why sculpt when you can map, right?. Well, thats not entirely true....I am "sculpting it with numbers"
    ... using some great 3D programs and laser sizing tools rather than merely eye balling it. I figured a six foot GT equivelant size made more sense rather than going for a Morrison (who is only 5'7) sized suit. Only wish I could fit into it.

44. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Good idea, considering the number of 3D models of the clone armor available online.

45. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New Member

Right now, the best armor is the one that you can get. ;)

There are a half a dozen people with projects underway, so in about 6-12 months we should have many to choose from.

I have two sets of MG armor, for costuming not display. they serve me fine for that purpose, until something more acurate comes along that is available to all.

-Bamatrooper
    Detachment Leader - http://Clonetroopers.net
    501st Legion

46. mandybat

mandybat New Member

Another "fan-made" clone for you .
    I have christened him "thunderthighs" for obvious reasons. :eek

[​IMG]

PLEASE don't pm me with lots of questions as to the origins of the mould or "where can I get one" I am but a lowly custom artist and keep out of all the wrangling. People ask me if I can paint or battledamage something and I say yes. :) ...most of the time

47. NEOGELION

NEOGELION New Member

I thought it had pretty much been determined where your armor comes from. :confused

48. mandybat

mandybat New Member

Sorry if my last post wasn't very clear....I do not own this armour....I did not cast/sculpt this armour...I do not know who made it....I was just asked to paint it because I am a custom painter. :confused

Mandy

49. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Saw these at Wondercon in San Francisco. Looks pretty * good.

[​IMG]

50. wamser_e

wamser_e Well-Known Member

All of those sets of armor are clone6 armor.