What do you think of Wonder Woman's new Look?

Leave it to JMS to let his ego run amok.

Although I honestly can't believe some womans organization hasn't demanded this earlier.

Garbage.

Hopefully it's just the typical story hype new costume BS that comics usually pull and they put it back after a while. I would be shocked if they left it like that.

I have far less of an issue with the new costume than I do with them changing her backstory.

For more about the actual changes than her wardrobe alterations, see here

Last edited:
wonderwoman-new-dc.jpg

Really?

Uhh...

Really?

Guess the times are a changing.

This kills me:

"It’s a look designed to be taken seriously as a warrior, in partial answer to the many female fans over the years who’ve asked, 'how does she fight in that thing without all her parts falling out?'"

It's a comic book character. They don't "fall out" because she's drawn that way. :rolleyes :lol

Now... I was never big on WW. So this change really doesn't bother me that much.

I can still watch WW on dvd if I am so inclined. :love

Oh and the pic above makes her look like a typical tweenager- not a "woman".

Kevin

Last edited:
I kinda like the new one, too. A little more realistic to wear long pants into battle than her old hot pants were. Maybe add a stripe of stars down the side (a la Han Solo's blood stripes), as a nod to her old uniform and to break up the darkness.

What killed me was how the writer ignored JMS' other, more relevant writing credits (including creating and writing Babylon 5) and focused on his having written for Murder, She Wrote (for which he only wrote 7 episodes).

I'm not really liking it. I never really mind changes to costumes, but this is too far out there. Minor tweaks to update the design are fine, but this change makes the character almost unrecognizable. It's too casual. I think it would work for Wonder Girl, but not Wonder Woman...

I agree, that definitely has more of a X-Men type of vibe too it. Or even something you might expect to see Wonder Girl (sp?) wearing. I don't really mind the costume per se but I hate that goofy jacket. But then, these kinds of things are nothing more than gimmicks to bolster sales. They'll go back to something more like the classic version or a slight variation of it in a year or so just like they always do.

I'm also wondering if they aren't trying to throw some variety into Wonder Woman mythos before they start actively working on a movie in order to soften the impact when they develop a more conservative costume for a movie.

I bet they'd probably want to do something more like that for a movie due to concerns about prudish parents not wanting to take their kids to see the movie or feminist complaints and it hurting ticket sales. It's stupid to me as I'm sure it is to many but then we live in a country that goes into conniptions at the sight of some cleavage, much less a bare breast.

Just my random thoughts on the matter...

I like it.

hey loadsa characters have had retcons and cossie changes. x-men seem to change their look every 2 secs.

hell I like the original WW look with the wee tennis skirt. certainly nothing to get knickers in a twist, much less calls of sacrilege

I don't mind the costume. The changing of the origin story is stupid though. It would in effect change everything from the JLA to a lot of other characters.

Noooooooooooo:cry That won't do at all, no...not at all. Well I guess on the plus side, my wife still has a nice original outfit:)

I'm all for updating the costumes a bit... but with icons come iconic imagery. Sure Wonder Woman could use a makeover, but this in way pays homage or respects to the character her status.

...even if this were a new character, the costume is just ugly. Plus, she stole Black Canary's jacket - and is that her lasso or a wallet chain?

It'll last a few years until somebody else comes along and decides it is stupid and things will return to normal.

Besides, she's been through more changes before, like the "Emma Peel" period in the 60's when they decided a woman with superhuman powers was a bit icky and made it harder to put her in mortal danger. And then they tried a "darker, hipper"™ outfit in the 90's IIRC.

I just wish JMS could talk about his new direction for the character without crapping all over the hard work of the folks who worked on the character for the last 60 years.

I dislike it but consider this...is this costume change organic to the book, or a requested change as a step in bringing Diana to a movie screen near you?

John

Leave it to JMS to let his ego run amok.
I worked with him back in 2001 and his ego has been constantly amok.:rolleyes

I don't like the look but I can't blame them for trying it. Much like anything comic book related it will all come back around full circle and go back to the more iconic look at some point. It has happened with every long standing character. Good for press and good just for the folks to see something different sometimes.:thumbsup

That would be an awesome update for Wonder Girl's costume, not Wonder Woman. Changing the history as well? Even worse. Time for Jim Lee and J. Michael Straczynski to retire. These guys had their prime circa 1991 and did enough damage to comics then.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back