What color are the bussard collectors on the “Discovery” Enterprise? Now a build thread

NakedMoleRat

Master Member
I’ve seen pictures of them being both red and yellow. Which color is correct? I should be getting the model this week and hope to get started. Thank you.

Buzzard collectors? Wow, Disco is really different from the other Treks if they've changed the bussard collectors to buzzard collectors. I didn't know that any buzzards lived out in space nor that Disco ships needed to collect them. :p

Edit: Oops. Guess in a rush reading the message. Thought you meant the Discovery, not the Enterprise.

I've only seen them in blue. Even Anovos has them lit in blue on their miniature. But to tell you the truth, I never paid much attention to the Discovery. Perhaps they change colour as the Enterprise refit deflector does.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Buzzard collectors? Wow, Disco is really different from the other Treks if they've changed the bussard collectors to buzzard collectors. I didn't know that any buzzards lived out in space nor that Disco ships needed to collect them. :p

Autocorrect decided I didn’t know what I wanted to spell.

I picked one up yesterday afternoon. It is a very well crafted model. It was made with LED mounts built in, the windows are grouped in sections in clear and the whole thing fits together tightly. There are wire tracks built into all of the pieces and the base has a metal rod for mounting it.

It’s moulded in the ship’s color, a silver grey which is great as it will save with base color painting, but I’m going to have to mask it really well as the inside needs to be painted black to block light leaks.

The warp nacelles have clear parts, sadly the end cap at the rear of the engine is cast in clear and will need to be painted, with the exception of the lit areas. The bussard collectors have two clear end caps, and outer one and a smaller inner one. I think I’ll paint the inner one translucent red and then light it yellow from behind. The outer caps I’ll leave clear and see how it looks.

My wife looked at it and asked “How many Enterprise’s do you need?”

I told her that I could try to explain it to her but she just wouldn’t understand. :)

Took some pictures to show the ship’s color. Got the underside painted black without any overspray. Whew!

Look at some of the LED holders. They are all for 5mm except for the neck which holds two 3mm.

I have a single LED in the main body to test light.

0783AEF5-6286-4298-BF65-ED1CDD78ADE3.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
3126D4C3-6AE7-4D9B-8C99-D5A2105BE75C.jpeg

Cool, that is basically how I am wiring up my engines. I was not worried about having spinning Bussard collectors, so I decided not to spend $80 on the kit, but rather to use the multitude of LEDs I already have. I have never needed to have the spinning rims and all the bells and whistle’s on my models, for two reasons. 1. As long as it’s lit and looks nice that’s enough for me. 2, my wife does not let me display them anyway! LOL

aye. i ended up not liking the colors of ALL the leds they supplied and there's additional lighting i'll be doing like the spotlighting and such. all i ended up finding useful was the battery switchbox, the rudimentary circuit boards, and the motors. i don't like my white spaceship lighting blueish and the bussard lighting was not amber enough for my taste. i also don't like my clear parts colored when the power is off save for the red outer domes.

i'm currently trying to fit a bunch of leds in the tiny 1/2500 version first. then i'll be moving on to the 2 of the bigger ones i got (i'm gonna make sure that front registry gets really lit on mines).

Last edited:
All of the lighting is done. I still have a lot of detail painting to do. Masking off behind the deflector dish to avoid the light leak. I wish you could see what I did with the bussard collectors. I used 2 millimeter LEDs, in a series rotating between red and yellow. It really gave off a nice effect, but in the picture it looks solid amber. In real life you can see both yellow and red burning separately as well as mixing together. I used different voltages on the resistors so that the lights will burn at different levels. I wouldn’t think that everybody in their cabins had all their lights on at the same saturation point. I’d like to have some windows dimmer than others in my models.

Not done, but the biggest task is over.

5D38FA34-B2FB-4955-B943-7F4DCF2390E0.jpeg
2EA03928-A021-4B7C-BA69-7AC2A0D97970.jpeg

A4267911-7ADB-4F54-8846-1E1B6EE4C214.jpeg
20B542C2-4B39-4063-BC87-90C46809BD48.jpeg
816714A3-CB2C-4425-BB3B-C4A8E1EFF7F5.jpeg
C73A3D35-CCFF-43C5-93FC-92AD9F8D1E38.jpeg

I just painted the kit's clear nacelle domes clear orange--I never liked the whole red bussard collector look and the ship harkens back nicely to the TOS Enterprise anyway.

I just painted the kit's clear nacelle domes clear orange--I never liked the whole red bussard collector look and the ship harkens back nicely to the TOS Enterprise anyway.

I actually like the blue bussard collectors on the Enterprise NCC 1701-JJ. Into Darkness and Beyond!

I actually like that whole ship quite a bit.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back