What classes do I take if I want to get in to making Iron Man armor?

SUESYLVESTER

Just graduated high school and I am inspired by all the work here. What classes do I have to take to make Iron Man/ Halo armor stuff like that?

haha if there was a class that would be the easy way :lol

You want to get into making your own armour? that's kind of half the battle won. Now you need to read and ask questions but before you ask questions you need to research

the most fun part of this hobby for me is the research and learning. look at all the build threads on different types of Iron Man builds and ask yourself "Can I do that" if you think you can then I say go for it, but remember that if you havent got much patience then this hobby will soon teach you patience.

What werstrooper said. Best bet is to just start reading threads, ask questions, and then jump right in.

Although, if you HAD to take ONE class, I would recommend an auto body repair class. One that did both traditional and fiberglass bodies. You'll learn a lot about materials and working with them, also about safety.

Another REALLY great strategy is to find a builder or two that are in your area, and then spend time with them looking over their shoulders and asking questions.

Oh, and welcome to the RPF!

For some of the heavier duty armor building, like getting into fiberglass, mold making, casting, etc...you might also want to look into taking some shop oriented classes that give you the skills to work with drill presses, power saws: be they circular, scroll, or band, working with different materials like woods, metals, and composites, as all of that can be applied directly to a lot of the processes involved in propmaking.

I'll second what Matt said . I have zero sculpting skills and my armor is turning out ok. I'm a bodyman by trade and it's helped me alot on the build thus far. :)

Hi SUESYLVESTER,

If you're serious about making your own IM suit, you should become Masked Rider's apprentice :)

Hi SUESYLVESTER,

If you're serious about making your own IM suit, you should become Masked Rider's apprentice :)

Yeah too bad he lives in Malaysia. I want to take classes in the spring time.

thank you guys for all the answers. I just really want to get in to the basics like you guys said.

You know for example, a person that wants to design music album cd covers would probably take graphic design classes.. in the same sense, I just want to get in to a class that would teach me like for example.. like all these Tron costumer maker guys, I know they are all free handing builds.

I also saw a guy on here make a master chief costume and i think he is from england, he used a vacuform machines and a cnc,.

my question is, what classes do i take to have access to the vacuform machine and cnc machine?

Where do you live? Some of the larger mold-making and casting supply distributors/manufacturers hold classes. I know Reynolds AM in LA offers them and The Compleat Sculptor in NY offers classes as well. There are certainly other distributors. Additionally, there are lots of DVD's and youtube videos that will teach you all the basics. Smooth-On has tons of how-to videos.

No offense but I think pepakura is like a bank robber. easy money.

Sad way to start. Close minded like some others. Pep is not an easy way out, It give you a great shape and base to start with. Only a hand full of people actually take that to the next level. ;) But to each there own. :)

HOLY! WOW!

It can't be for this thread...I mean not liking pep isn't a crime. (Though it would be if I had my way)

To anyone who IS just starting out though, just have fun, and try new things all the time. The more varied the methods you try, the more you'll hone them, and the more you'll see what works for you.

As to classes you can take to help in costuming: Wood and metal shop are great, as is home-ec for sewing, auto shop is great for learning body work, and art is perfect for learning to sculpt in various mediums and how to paint/finish your work. Aside from that, watch youtube videos, talk to people and just enjoy yourself! That's what this should all be about anyway.

-Nick

I was wondering something very similar, although for more than just making armor. I would like to get into the business of making sets and props and found this school in my area and was wondering if it sounded like a good idea or not...

Center for Film Studies

Any type of art, special effects or sculpting classes would be ideal but not necessary. I don't have classes readily available to me like that other than a local small college. I took a lot of art classes in high school that helped refine my sculpting and drawing skills. I also have privately done body work on cars which helps because alot of things I do is will bondo or fiberglass. I have also been playing around with other media, like Epoxy clay and oil base clay, which you will have to do yourself to find out which media you like and how you can use it.
I will be starting to make my own silicone molds soon because I want to reproduce the props that I make so I will have to try and figure that out. You will always be learning something new or refining your skills. That is the way it works so the best way is to just start with something, research and ask questions. Good luck on your knew hobby. If you are like most of us then it will be very addicting and fun.

11.30.2010 - SUESYLVESTER has been banned for being a sock puppet of PAULFIERCE

Thought it was odd myself, so I checked out the Members announcements.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back