What can I use to fill seams in a resin prop?

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, I'm finishing up a couple small parts on the piece I'm working on. I need to fill in some seams and a couple areas that have too much empty space.

What can I use that's readily available (Home Despot, local hardware store, Walmart, etc.), sandable and bonds to plastic?

I'd rather not use automotive bondo as it doesn't seem to have a smooth finish when sanded due to the high degree of 'filler' in it.

Any other ideas, suggestions or even tech tips to get Auto Bondo as smooth as possible?

Thanks!

Rook

I'd agree with Tony. Anyone those should do. Personally for resin kits though I use MoriMori and SubeSube, two GREAT japanese products that I picked up while I was over there.

You can get both at www.hlj.com

Then again you said quick didn't you.
icon_razz.gif

Ryu

Yeah, I wanted it a _little_ quicker than ordering it from Japan.

I have a little project that's been 7+ months in the making and I want it DONE. Mostly so I can brag about it in a public forum.
icon_wink.gif

And I bought some C-R-A-P at Walmart. It's a bondo variant but if you have it more than a few millimeters thick it...

A) Takes forever to dry.
B) and cracks form in the once smooth surface.

I think the stuff is supposed to be used to fill minute gouges or scratches, unlike regular bondo where you can fill holes the size of a small truck.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back to Wally-world I go...

Rook

Home Despot?
icon_lol.gif

We don't have one of those in town, but we do have a "Blowes"!

Anyhow, I've been using Magic Sculp for the bigger stuff. For tiny little seams, sometimes I just run a bead of super glue, and then hit it with some CA accellerator (it cures it immediately) and then I sand it down right away. It's good for seams in flat areas where you don't have to worry about obscuring details by sanding. I've only tried this on resin, not on plastic.

-RAj

Hey Rook, if you use the glazing putty and then use a real fine grit sandpaper under running water you will get a nice smooth finish. Using the wet sanding method makes for a smoother finish and then if you are still not satisfied use a good primer like Krylon on it and wet sand it again with the same fine grit paper. The finer the paper the smoother the finish.

Kenny

Well, after sanding the first layer of Bondo (it WAS the glazing stuff someone recommended) it smoothed out quite well. However, I bought stuff (regular bondo) before I sanded it so I didn't realize how it was going to turn out.

I think if you use the GP for ONLY filling seams it would work quite well. I needed to fill some sizeable gaps, so that's where I ran into trouble with the GP.

Just need to sand the new layer of Bondo down to see how it turns out. I'm using a very fine grit paper too to minimize any surface detail. 400 grit or finer I believe.

Russ

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back