Westworld (HBO)

Aaron Paul is awful. I find every scene with him to be slightly harder to watch than the one before it.

When she set them all on fire I was like “Hopefully we are done with Caleb,” but nope…just a few seconds later he’s back.

I feel like it’s very weird that a character that wasn’t even introduced until the third season has become such a focus of the narrative. I mean…do people like Aaron Paul so much that they feel his boring acting and this boring character is somehow making the show better?

Bernard. Interesting.
Stubbs. Interesting.
Maeve. Interesting.
Charlotte. Interesting.
Dolores/Christina. Interesting.
Man In Black. Interesting.
Caleb. Not at all interesting.

His character is a decided weak point in the show for me. I can’t help but feel if I didn’t see a single Caleb moment, I’d be fine and the show would be better.

Now…after all of my ranting…this episode was weak. We got an hour of show that was basically unnecessary. The only real thing that happened is they powered Maeve back up.

There’s only two episodes left, and I feel like this season is just treading water.

Last edited:
Aaron Paul is awful. I find every scene with him to be slightly harder to watch than the one before it.

When she set them all on fire I was like “Hopefully we are done with Caleb,” but nope…just a few seconds later he’s back.

I feel like it’s very weird that a character that wasn’t even introduced until the third season has become such a focus of the narrative. I mean…do people like Aaron Paul so much that they feel his boring acting and this boring character is somehow making the show better?

Bernard. Interesting.
Stubbs. Interesting.
Maeve. Interesting.
Charlotte. Interesting.

His character is a decided weak point in the show for me. I can’t help but feel if I didn’t see a single Caleb moment, I’d be fine and the show would be better.

Now…after all of my ranting…this episode was weak. We got an hour of show that was basically unnecessary. The only real thing that happened is they powered Maeve back up.

There’s only two episodes left, and I feel like this season is just treading water.
You forgot Teddy, he helped in trying to unlock Dolores..
I like Caleb.. I enjoyed the one step further narrative and in a twist actually got what 126 was it others had failed to do.. Interestingly she referred to him as Your kind and if you have seen the posters it has a red orb being placed into a human/genetic created skull so looks like they are making Human clones as well as hosts?
I think Caleb is part of the bigger picture or a part of the past.
Maybe he is Ford's son all grown up or even a version of Ford?
Interestingly Mauve is now a sort of surrogate mum mirroring her own daughter.
Stubbs always gets the cool one liners and glad he's still around.. I love Bernard but wish he'd loosen up a little, his implanted thoughts and him finding his wife were teary..

I want to see TMIB team up with TMIB or even a younger version of william

Bernard. Interesting.
Stubbs. Interesting.
Maeve. Interesting.
Charlotte. Interesting.

It is a veeeeery sloooow series. The same with Raised by Wolves. Seems to be the new trend these days.

I've noticed something recently. Back in season 1 and somewhat in season 2 they were very liberal with the nudity. Like GOT it seemed that most of the actresses, and some of the actors, had nude scenes. Over the last 2 seasons I can only remember one or two times they did it. When they worked on the hosts in season 1 & 2 they were always naked, I think they even mentioned the reason for this in dialog, Bernard repairing Maeve in the last episode is exactly the kind of scene they did with her naked in season 1. I'm wondering if this is them trying to show the hosts aren't just objects or play things like in the first 2 seasons or if the cast don't want to do it anymore.

It is a veeeeery sloooow series. The same with Raised by Wolves. Seems to be the new trend these days.

I've noticed something recently. Back in season 1 and somewhat in season 2 they were very liberal with the nudity. Like GOT it seemed that most of the actresses, and some of the actors, had nude scenes. Over the last 2 seasons I can only remember one or two times they did it. When they worked on the hosts in season 1 & 2 they were always naked, I think they even mentioned the reason for this in dialog, Bernard repairing Maeve in the last episode is exactly the kind of scene they did with her naked in season 1. I'm wondering if this is them trying to show the hosts aren't just objects or play things like in the first 2 seasons or if the cast don't want to do it anymore.
That's an interesting point and maybe a mix of both your answers being it's The actors knowing and having more power to say no and interestingly TN is now using her birth name Thandiwe so maybe there is some weight to that idea...

Luckily we were spared "Wrinkly Wild Bill"

I must say yet again, it must have been the roles she played before but I didn't much care for her but as as Mauve she literally knocks it out the park!..

The producers use the letterbox format as a clue. When a scene is in letterbox, you’re watching a simulation in the sublime. When in normal format, you’re watching events in the real world.
I tried watching episode 7 again with this in mind to see if it would make anymore sense or make it better and it didn't help at all.

I think the whole idea behind this season was that we would find "The Man in Black" hunting in the real world and not Westworld, though it does look like in next weeks finale episode the host copy goes to the park. But maybe that's just a copy that already lives in the sublime.

Bernard coming to the conclusion that he would fail, but he does it all despite knowing that seems pretty silly to me. I know we have an episode left and I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that everything we saw this season is all taking place in a new park called "Futureworld".

I think the whole idea behind this season was that we would find "The Man in Black" hunting in the real world and not Westworld, though it does look like in next weeks finale episode the host copy goes to the park. But maybe that's just a copy that already lives in the sublime.

Bernard coming to the conclusion that he would fail, but he does it all despite knowing that seems pretty silly to me. I know we have an episode left and I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that everything we saw this season is all taking place in a new park called "Futureworld".
Peter Fonda turns up in a sharp 70s suit or The OG Brynner with an Axe to grind..

This series needs to wrap already and go this way:

Coffin dance.gif

I really hope this is the end of it. I had such high hopes for this season after the first few episodes but the last 3 or so really went off the tracks.
I read a recap last night because, honestly, I haven’t paid that much attention these last few episodes.

The recap made this episode sound just, terrible.

I’ll throw it on tonight while I’m just messing around on my phone, but I think I’ll be done with the series after that even if it comes back for another season.

Man, I really did love the first half of this season, didn't even mind the last few episodes leading up to this one, but I just couldn't get into the finale. The pacing was odd, the story was disjointed, it felt sort of... full of itself might be the right words? At times? I was on the edge of my seat most of the season, but not at all here.

I couldn't help but ask myself "What was the point of that?" at the end, because it really felt hollow and meaningless.
Like what was the point of ending the world? What is the relevance, commentary, the meaning of it in the story besides that they just sort of flipped the table? It just felt hopeless and pointless. There was a sort of tacked on "humans and hosts were both gifted with greater intelligence and used it to wipe themselves out" sort of message that they literally had to spell out and I don't even really think the humans can be totally held responsible for this one.
The hosts got some of that hubris that caused the "extinction" of both (not sure if these machines told EVERYONE in the world to start killing each other or if it was just in New York. Found Dolores' line on the "end of sentient life" silly too. Something would survive) Hale didn't just stop at co-existing, but decided they needed the humans to be taken down a peg— not to be wiped out, but to be controlled out of some sort of payback. She did the same thing with making robo- William. It was honestly her own vanity and sense of "justice"/irony that ultimately lead to the end of both species. So this line on humans and hosts both waisting their potential destroying themselves just doesn't hold up for me.

And maybe I need to rewatch the episode, but is the implication that the world hasn't ended yet and Dolores is now looping through to find a solution? Or just that the world survives on in the sublime? I'm just left confused and not really interested in were this is going next, if it's going anywhere.

I also really didn't like the effect of wire-frame Hale at the end. This show overall has pretty spectacular effects, and I thought it just looked terrible— like something I'd see in a video game cutscene.

The ending with Dolores recreating the original park, quoting Ford, walking around in the western getup, out of context, is a nice way to wrap up a series if that is what it was intended— on its own, its a good scene, but it really doesn't feel deserved.

It's just so disappointing. Season 1 really made you think, it made you ask questions, when it came out I rewatched it multiple times and could get something new out of each rewatch. There were philosophical questions that only science fiction could ask. And the finale of the season just falls so short of that.

Man, I really did love the first half of this season, didn't even mind the last few episodes leading up to this one, but I just couldn't get into the finale. The pacing was odd, the story was disjointed, it felt sort of... full of itself might be the right words? At times? I was on the edge of my seat most of the season, but not at all here.

I couldn't help but ask myself "What was the point of that?" at the end, because it really felt hollow and meaningless.
Like what was the point of ending the world? What is the relevance, commentary, the meaning of it in the story besides that they just sort of flipped the table? It just felt hopeless and pointless. There was a sort of tacked on "humans and hosts were both gifted with greater intelligence and used it to wipe themselves out" sort of message that they literally had to spell out and I don't even really think the humans can be totally held responsible for this one.
The hosts got some of that hubris that caused the "extinction" of both (not sure if these machines told EVERYONE in the world to start killing each other or if it was just in New York. Found Dolores' line on the "end of sentient life" silly too. Something would survive) Hale didn't just stop at co-existing, but decided they needed the humans to be taken down a peg— not to be wiped out, but to be controlled out of some sort of payback. She did the same thing with making robo- William. It was honestly her own vanity and sense of "justice"/irony that ultimately lead to the end of both species. So this line on humans and hosts both waisting their potential destroying themselves just doesn't hold up for me.

And maybe I need to rewatch the episode, but is the implication that the world hasn't ended yet and Dolores is now looping through to find a solution? Or just that the world survives on in the sublime? I'm just left confused and not really interested in were this is going next, if it's going anywhere.

I also really didn't like the effect of wire-frame Hale at the end. This show overall has pretty spectacular effects, and I thought it just looked terrible— like something I'd see in a video game cutscene.

The ending with Dolores recreating the original park, quoting Ford, walking around in the western getup, out of context, is a nice way to wrap up a series if that is what it was intended— on its own, its a good scene, but it really doesn't feel deserved.

It's just so disappointing. Season 1 really made you think, it made you ask questions, when it came out I rewatched it multiple times and could get something new out of each rewatch. There were philosophical questions that only science fiction could ask. And the finale of the season just falls so short of that.
This season started strong but the last two episodes seemed muddled and with the main hosts already uploaded the copies wandering round it didn't really matter who died.

If Ford doesn't come back I'll eat my Black Hat!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back