Werewolfs

Kris

Sr Member
Howdy y'all,

My friend is in pre-production of a Vampire / Werewolf flick. Think sorta like Underworld, but then, well, sorta different. :p But anyhow, first of all, how to get realistic werewolfs onto the screen. First tought when I heard about it was, RPF. So, who here has suggestions for cost effective werewolfs ? I kn,ow you can make masks from ductape and all.. but still. Anyone here has info, help, tutorials. Feel free to post them here, or PM me, or whatever. :)

Thanks in advance.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kris @ Jun 15 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]1262290[/snapback]</div>
Howdy y'all,

My friend is in pre-production of a Vampire / Werewolf flick. Think sorta like Underworld, but then, well, sorta different. :p But anyhow, first of all, how to get realistic werewolfs onto the screen. First tought when I heard about it was, RPF. So, who here has suggestions for cost effective werewolfs ? I kn,ow you can make masks from ductape and all.. but still. Anyone here has info, help, tutorials. Feel free to post them here, or PM me, or whatever. :)

Thanks in advance.
[/b]

As a productiondesigner for a lot of low budget flics, first idea that springs to mind is...

keep the horror off-screen and obscure, in an Alien-like not-funny way ;) . Fast cuts, fast camera moves, a lot of post work, low key lighting or even high key lighting, the whole shebang.

I personally don´t see any other way of getting a believeable werewolf done in a scary but cheap way. Go seek out young effects people that need something for their show reel, but don´t get too demanding, beggars aren´t choosers ;) Make sure that there is enough budget to cover the costs. You could also think about having a completely CG werewolf, but IMO it is better to have most stuff done in camera, than to have additional digital work that has to be dealt with.

There is a flic a buddy of mine made last year, they still are in post production on it, and they had sfx guys build an animatronic werewolf. The website is up at www.haeftlingdesmonats.de, unfortunately without pics of the creature, since the movie hasn´t been released yet :\ Understandable ;) The overall budget was 25.000 Euros, filmed with digital camera (latest sony model), the set being sponsored by a very small studio that had its own construction crew and needed something for their reel, too.

Small movies are a love/hate relationship ;)

Michael

EDIT for the correct link to that short movie I was talking about ;)

Check out the movie Dog Soldiers. They use a lot of the techniques that Man From Naboo suggests (shadows, quick edits, jump scares etc) very effectiveley.

I was going to suggest Dog Soldiers - basically 2 werewolf suits and an arm or two.

For hair/fur - you can always use the hair extensions from Walmart and "punch it" or tie it. Time consuming, but fairly cheap.

It depends on your kind of wolf - thick fur vs thin fur. The place that makes the wookie fur makes some great variation of werewolf fur - they had sent me some smaple. But for a low budget film, the setup cost might be a bit much - well worth it - but a bit pricy.

David

If you decide to go with "fabric store fur" make sure to ask them about special order stuff. For example the Hancocks near me has a nice 3"ish (forget exact length) fur that they don't normally carry but can get on special order with about a 2 week turnaround.

Also, check Furry sites. Although a lot of the stuff is mascot, the techniques can still be applied to a more realistic look.

There is no such thing as a walmart here. Maybe good, but for all the cheap good stuff.. bad. :unsure But still, already thanks.

I would say hear that is cut from the barber, but that is a bit .. yucky. Or not ?

Also, what would be best ? like a jumpsuit, and well, root hair into it ? :)
We are sooo gonna check dog soldiers out. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Kris @ Jun 16 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]1262735[/snapback]</div>
There is no such thing as a walmart here. Maybe good, but for all the cheap good stuff.. bad. :unsure But still, already thanks.

I would say hear that is cut from the barber, but that is a bit .. yucky. Or not ?

Also, what would be best ? like a jumpsuit, and well, root hair into it ? :)
We are sooo gonna check dog soldiers out. :)
[/b]

The barber idea is kinda gross... so it fits into the motive :p

I can also suggest taking a look at "Ginger Snaps I-III", they have a few scenes where they don´t show everything, although they have a few nice transformation effects in it.

Michael

Just off the top of my head (and you've probably already seen these, anyway)

American Werewolf in London
Underworld series

There are a few more movies out there with werewolves in them, but I can't think of anything really great. I reccomend just googling werewolf pictures and seeing what you like, and trying to replicate it. And the barber shop idea is kinda icky, and it would be tough to find enough hair of the same color and correct length to really make it worth your while.

Just Pm me, My Ex -girlfriend's mom looks the part without need for extra makeup and fur, she does need to be fed half a cow every full moon though.

This is going to be fun.

Dog Soldiers
dog20soldiers20photo2003.jpg

Ginger Snaps
pic_wolf.jpg

ok, updates .. My friend is going to make some close-up drawings of how he wants to see it. We are going for the Dog Soldiers look a bit.

btw, How many sq ft would 1 costume consist on ? (on a normal sized man, not like a wookiee or so) :)

Oh, and for POV´s of the werewolves, there is nothing like good ole "WOLFEN" ;-)

A classic, scared the heck outta me as a kid.

Michael

<div class='quotetop'>(ManfromNaboo @ Jun 21 2006, 01:44 AM) [snapback]1264768[/snapback]</div>
Oh, and for POV´s of the werewolves, there is nothing like good ole "WOLFEN" ;-)

A classic, scared the heck outta me as a kid.

Michael
[/b]

you got it ...

*bump*

You could have your werewolf characters have a full wolf stage, but shoot that more in shadows, and in miniature (1/12th scale?) puppets for some close ups.

Then also have an "in-between" stage, where they are still part human, so the costume consists of masks, chest fur, claw-gloves rather than a full suit.

Just an idea.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back