We're Going Back - Back to the Future 25th and 30th Anniversary Celebration BTTF

Wow, awesome! I remember reading about that restoration project not too long ago, asking fans to donate whatever parts they could.

If you don't mind me asking, Vivek, just out of curiosity, what did you donate to the project?

Thanks Brad. We tried to contact Tom Wilson and Crispin Glover to get them on-board for the WGB 2010 event, but things just didn't pan out. We are definitely going to try and get them for WGB 2015 with a different approach.

To quote Biff:
"Yeah, money right? Well forget it"
Ha..well, to quote Marty. ;)

"No, not money..."

I had offered Tom Wilson $100 for his autograph and still said no.:thumbsdown
Wow, that was quite a offer and I admire your persistence. But even if somebody offered him $500, he wouldn't sign any BTTF items. We even had long talks about this when we were planning WGB in 2010. It's a sore aspect of the BTTF fandom which I now often try to avoid talking and pondering about, thus keeping the focus on the positives.

I don't understand why Tom Wilson has such a chip on his shoulder. Most actors would love to be a part of movie that has become cinema history, not to mention that he was on Freaks and Geeks which is a cult classic. Maybe he never reached the stardom he hoped to have. Maybe he just turned into Biff and feels the world owes him something. I've never met him so I can't say for sure but I've read multiple posts about Tom Wilson just not giving into to his fans.

You should listen to Wilsons nerdist podcast. He lays out quite rationally why he does what he does with BTTF fans. I absolutely do not believe he is motivated by some sort if bitterness of never 'making it big.'

I will take a listen to it. Maybe he does have sound reasons why he doesn't interact with fans like other actors do.

I listened to the podcast. So while he may not have any bitterness to the whole thing. I did find this on his site.
Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 1.37.05 PM.png

I don't see how signing memorabilia is marginalizing his talent. He might be able to do what he wants to do because of Back to the Future. Maybe he's been lucky enough to not have to pawn furniture and other things for being out of work.

Dave Grohl pays respects to the being in Nirvana and to the bands before Nirvana. He continues to write new music and work on new projects. He seems to love his fans. I'm sure being hounded by fans can be annoying but it has to be better than nobody appreciating your work at all.

I listened to the podcast.

I don't see how signing memorabilia is marginalizing his talent. He might be able to do what he wants to do because of Back to the Future. Maybe he's been lucky enough to not have to pawn furniture and other things for being out of work.

I agree. What's funny is that Chris Lloyd, Michael J Fox and Lea Thompson ALL went on to have great careers...Tom Wilson and Crispin Glover didn't. Whay is that?...they are MARGINAL ACTORS! That's it...

Michael J Fox and Chris Lloyd will always sign BTTF items. They don't feel type cast because they are talented actors.

I'm sorry but, wouldn't a 2015 themed square be more appropriate in the year 2015??? :wacko Including a Jaws 19 pepper's ghost effect....

Right, but besides 2015 being the year of the future from Part II it also marks as the 30 anniversary of the first film. So I can see why they would commemorate the event from that film instead.

Of course most of us are hoping to celebrate the Part II future in a bigger way. The problem is we can't expect the same level of detailing for the 2015 square as seen in the movie. That set was for the movie which the studio paid for as they expect bigger returns through the box office. But I don't see Universal spending that amount of money to rebuilt that set purely for fan celebration.

But if they do it, it's a great opportunity for Universal to bring in thousands of fans during that week. People pay to come and visit the square, get photos taken and participate in different activities.

I can't get into more details of the WGB 2015 event as we are still in planning stages, but we're striving towards making it the best and biggest BTTF event yet. The WGB 2010 event was for a week long, but this will be mostly focused on a single day. The total number of days celebrating the event might change, but it will be likely only on Oct 21, 2015.

I'd love to have a fully finished oculus rift VR walkthrough of the 2015 courthouse square done for the 2015 date. That will be my celebration. The future scene needs to be commemorated!

Hi Vivek,
Thanks so much for keeping us informed about these awesome events. I wonder if you know any more details on the October 2015 planned event? Even if it was just a date range. I have to plan my trip to the USA from New Zealand and need to plan a long way ahead but not knowing when its happening makes it very hard. Anything you could help me with would be a huge help. Even if you have to PM some vague info I would be forever grateful.

Thanks again
Mat :)

http://www.weregoingback.com/

Hi Mat, glad to hear you will be making the trip from NZ to US during the WGB event. Our new website is still work in progress, but it was recently updated to reflect the event dates. It's October 21-25. We are planning various events during that week. So I would still suggest to allocate the dates from October 20 till October 26/27 if needed.

We hope to make an official announcement sometime next month.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back