Weird request for help with an iron man build

Loserizer

Hey guys, I have kind of a weird request for you today, I also didn't know where to post this so this is probably the wrong place. My brother really wants to build an iron man helmet by himself so I have been researching and found that the best way to do it would be pepakura. The most important part is the helmet to him so that needs to be really accurate. The problem is my brother has an issue with his hands so the delicate kinda precision needed for paper pep he can't really do. I was wondering if there was a place you can buy pepakura at the paper stages because he still wants to bondo and fiberglass stuff which I can help him with.

Too Long: Didn't Read: Brother has issue w/ hands, can't do normal paper pep. anywhere that sells pep at the paper stages?

I would call that a big fat ripoff, you could 3d print a MUCH more accurate helmet for that much, in fact, why not try it, because as for less delicate, detailed work, your brother could do the sanding, coating, painting, and also help with the eye-lights if you are putting those in (which I would suggest). A roll of PLA filament for a 3d printer goes for around $35 dollars. Here's a link to everything you need to know about Iron Man helmet building http://xrobots.co.uk/IM6/index_lights.html. Good luck and again I highly suggest you 3d print your helmet .

Thank you for replying. I don't have a 3d printer, would it cost me 40 usd to 3d print it somewhere else? If so where do you recommend?

Couldn't you build the pep file for him and then let him bondo and sand afterwards?

Agreed with Venom, if your hands work well, tah Dah! You have lots of options. Have a friend print it out, you gotta know someone with a printer. That is the awesomeness of Pep, anywhere you have a paper, printer and scissors, you are good to go.

Are you in high school? I don't own a 3d printer but my schook has one and let's me print anythin I want just for the price of the filament. If you aren't in high school or they don't have a 3d printer than ask a friend. They are becoming much more common in schools so you have a shot.

Another alternative is you could make the helmet out of thicker cardboard using the Pepakura patterns that are designed for foam builds. Those patterns have fewer cuts and pieces. Then you proceed with resin/Bondo/etc. It'll take more work on the finishing stage to get the details right, but you don't have to deal with the tiny precision folds with the initial construction.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back