Ways to "paint on" a printed pattern?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am wanting to customize a Funko POP figure and part of what I'd like to do involves putting a pattern on the shirt. Ideally, I would like to not try and make the pattern by hand, but would like a "painted on" finished look, if that makes sense. Are there any consumer products out there that would help me with this???

Last edited:
We are taking about curves surfaces here?
If you are, I am afraid that you only have s couple options.

1. Hand paint the pattern.
2. Get the pattern it in vinyl to make a film mask (stencil), apply that stencil to the surface, then either spray the color on, or sponge it on. Once dry, remove the film thus leaving a slick painted pattern.
3. If getting film cut is not an option, then get a sharp blade and cut your own stencil out of painters tape and use that stencil the same way you would vinyl.

We are taking about curves surfaces here?
If you are, I am afraid that you only have s couple options.

1. Hand paint the pattern.
2. Get the pattern it in vinyl to make a film mask (stencil), apply that stencil to the surface, then either spray the color on, or sponge it on. Once dry, remove the film thus leaving a slick painted pattern.
3. If getting film cut is not an option, then get a sharp blade and cut your own stencil out of painters tape and use that stencil the same way you would vinyl.
If you are using the stencil method do several light coats drying in between or you will get ridges along the edges of your stencil

If you are using the stencil method do several light coats drying in between or you will get ridges along the edges of your stencil

Great advice! Plus thin coats will help eliminate the chance of bleeding under the masking.

Thanks everyone for the advice - I will play around with the methods mentioned and see if any work for me!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back