WATERLINE BASE FOR SHIP MODELS

gt350pony66

Master Member
I've been looking on line and can't find a sheet of the fake water big enough for the ship. biggest i see is 16 inch, ship is 21. and I don't fancy doing the goo stuff and making it myself. any thoughts? also the stuff on line looks like it's all off shore? really???

Would it be possible to buy more than one, put them together and sort of fill in the gaps?
I thought about that but since there is sort of a texture to it, it would likely be impossible to match it perfectly and not see it. I did see some florescent light covers that are called "cracked ice" that might work if a fella could get the right color on the underside of it. I just figured this stuff existed and would be easy to find. duh on me...again:rolleyes:

I've been looking on line and can't find a sheet of the fake water big enough for the ship. biggest i see is 16 inch, ship is 21. and I don't fancy doing the goo stuff and making it myself. any thoughts? also the stuff on line looks like it's all off shore? really???
What do you mean with goo stuff? Mod podge or some heavy body acrylic gel and a plastic spoon and 15 minutes is what you need to finish it. No casting resins or crap like that with this method. Simple and effective for small scale stuff especially.

What do you mean with goo stuff? Mod podge or some heavy body acrylic gel and a plastic spoon and 15 minutes is what you need to finish it. No casting resins or crap like that with this method. Simple and effective for small scale stuff especially.
Mod Podge eh? i just kind of figured some skill was required in the use of that sort of thing, and...I'm being lazy :lol:

Thanks though, I'll look into it(y)
Those are some different methods - some more involved than others, but none that make use of casting stuff. The first one is really the best to just see how different mediums behave. I recommend the spoon method. Glob on whatever medium you like and go smacking it all over with a spoon like you are 4 years old and it's a yoghurt you don't like.:D

Those are some different methods - some more involved than others, but none that make use of casting stuff. The first one is really the best to just see how different mediums behave. I recommend the spoon method. Glob on whatever medium you like and go smacking it all over with a spoon like you are 4 years old and it's a yoghurt you don't like.:D
Dude, that was seriously funny!:lol:(y)

I usually start with what we always called "rippled plex". It's comes in 48" x 96" sheets, and is usually used for florescent light diffusion or privacy windows. You could build up additional texture with the techniques above, but it'l give you something to work off of.
sounds like something very useful, for giggles I was gonna go to home depot, lowes and menard's and see what they had.

I'm gonna give these vids a look when I get home, can't at work. but thanks all you guys! every time i've had issues or needed help y'all always jump in to lend a hand! (y)

Another quick idea would be to use a static cling film in a pattern that matches the scale of your ship. Below is a link to an Etsy item that looks quite convincing.

TazMan2000
Dude! that stuff will be perfect! thanks so much for the heads up(y) i ordered the big sheet in case i get a bug to do another one. it'll be easy to cut to drop the ship in as well

I've been talking to a few people who get stuff shipped from China. It gets delayed or lost. Perhaps items shipped from that part of the world have a mandatory quarantine period.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back