Warhammer 40k Chainsword

Fabricator Djinn

Well, rounding out the collection of melee marine weapons I seem so fond of building.. its chainsword time! Before anyone asks, I'm not going to bother trying to make it work. I am going to try and make it elaborate as all hell though. Been working it over in my head for the last couple weeks.. finally properly started on it yesterday. I decided to try making it almost 100% out of Sintra. Heres the progress so far.

template%20%28Medium%29.jpg

After much searching, this is what I set up for a template, its a modified sword from some 40k mod for some game (I..cant remember which) that the modeller was kind enough to send me the model for.

CIMG2895%20%28Medium%29.JPG

First blade cutout. I planned to stack sheets of sintra together to build the blade. (dont mind the chainsaw chain.. didnt end up using it for obvious reasons of why.jpg)

CIMG2919%20%28Medium%29.JPG

5 cutouts later.. a test stacking of them. I cut the inner blades in such a way that left me with a channel for the teeth to sit, and the middle blade gives me a groove to help attach the teeth. Sort of proud of the design tbh.. but I never got a good picture.

CIMG2927%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Mounted the dowel into the inner blades (only three of the blade cutouts are mounted in the dowel, adds a TON of stability and strength.. the handle is a permanent fixture.)

CIMG2930%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Solid sintra hilt/power supply base! The top half is removable for now and it all slides together with the blades and locks in place without glue or screws. I love it when things work out as planned.

CIMG2932%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Shot of the assembled sword as it currently stands. Waiting for confirmation on what chapter the dude wants before I start on the heavy heavy amount of heraldry >=D

CIMG2933%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Closeup of the grooves for the teeth. Those are the next. Funny how fast these projects come together once the planning is done heh.

More progress! Added more heraldry to the blade and am moving towards attaching everything.

CIMG3026%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG3027%20%28Medium%29.JPG

I also started on the teeth, I really liked the look of the Aquila head teeth on the THQ chainsword.. so I'm making my own version of those teeth for this sword, out of thick pieces of sintra. Have.. quite a few more to cut and sand tomorrow haha.

CIMG3030%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Coming together, going to look at the handle pretty soon. Very shiny, this one.

Awesome work! I was planning on building one of these myself. What are the dimensions of the whole sheebang? (Blade length, Handle length, total length, teeth size, etc)

I can't wait to see this when it's completed and I thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

Last edited:
Getting closer to finished! Mounted everything that needed to be mounted and added the teeth to the blade. Blade needs a clearcoat and some minor additional details, and I still have to add the vents/chapter heraldry to the hilt area.. but its getting pretty close!

CIMG3136%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Size comparison.

CIMG3139%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Close up of the teeth

CIMG3142%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Getting there!

... one day I'll get a real camera. I need to find a way to get some good shots of this thing when it is finished. Hope you guys like it~

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back