Warehouse 13 Farnsworth Progress Build

Helpful Nerd

Sr Member
I started months and months ago tackling a replica of the Farnsworth from Warehouse 13, and I'm just now getting this build thread started.

I'm still new to making prop replicas so here we go.

I found (thanks to the RPF) what the correct box was so I ordered my Wheatly Box. Although I missed the part about ordering the gold Wheatly Box and got the silver one, so I tapped off the outside edge of the bottom part of the case so I could paint it a brass color later. I also tapped off the Watch Glass that I would use for the screen. I later realized that the Watch Glass I got was a bit too big so I have to order some new ones.

I painted the Wheatly Case and the screen. Screen turned out ok, but the brown paint is too glossy, the prop on the show looks way more flat so I'll sand it and repaint it.

I thought "hey I can make the faceplate out of brass sheet from the hardware store"

well kinda.

I got some small sheets, hobby size, from my local hardware store and cut out the screen then realized "how am I gonna stamp the other parts, the numbers, the Farnsworth logo text etc.

At this point I think I'm gonna finish it the best I can and call it version 1.

I joined this interest thread about a russrep run of the brass faceplates started by Serenity, here:

http://www.therpf.com/f75/brass-farnsworth-faceplates-russrep-updated-jan-9-a-209598/

I'm looking forward to this run so I can tackle version 2 of this awesome prop.

That's where I'm at with my Farnsworth, let me know if you have any questions about my build. Feedback is welcome. I also have some extra greeblies, a couple knobs and the glass stone piece if anyone needs some parts. So let me know.

Overall I'm happy with it and the progress. Also looking forward to finishing it and adding this to my collection. And making version 2

Thanks for reading.

the wrong wheatly box.jpgpainted screen watch glass.jpgfarnsworth paint 2.jpgfarnsworth paint 1.jpgfaceplate test run.jpgfaceplate dry fit test run.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good start.
I too got silver, but vintage, used ones, from eBay. Anyone need fishing flies?

I made zero progress since. I am waiting to get proper faceplates, so hoping the russrep run is a go somewhen.

I'll also need to hunt for greeblies, glass and all. It's a slow progress, but theres no rush.

I'll be looking out for other's progress, and ideas, in the meanwhile.

That's a good start.
I too got silver, but vintage, used ones, from eBay. Anyone need fishing flies?

I made zero progress since. I am waiting to get proper faceplates, so hoping the russrep run is a go somewhen.

I'll also need to hunt for greeblies, glass and all. It's a slow progress, but theres no rush.

I'll be looking out for other's progress, and ideas, in the meanwhile.

Thanks!

Here's my build thread if you want to chat more about our Farnsworths so we don't de-rail this interest thread.

I have some greeblies for you if you need.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/warehouse-13-farnsworth-progress-build-231851/

- - - Updated - - -

DAMN

I feel dumb, I've been jumping between threads, didn't realize you posted to my build thread.

So disregard my previous post. :facepalm

LOL

Marsupial, here's a Watch Glass if you need one these.

View attachment 427361

I know I have some other extra parts too.

Let me dig those out and I'll post a pic.

If your interested let me know. I don't need all the extras. And if my extra parts can help a fellow RPFer that's awesome!

I have two cases, so I'll be hunting two of everything. Theres one electronics surplus store I need to visite (if I ever manage to get there during normal business hours) to see if I am able to source some greeblies locally.

glad to see I'm not the only one who figures a watch glass is about perfect for that use. What size are people using? I'd imagine you'd want it a couple extra mm in diameter so that it doesn't fit through the round opening but is held like a lens in place. I'd wager you could put window tinting film on the inside too.

glad to see I'm not the only one who figures a watch glass is about perfect for that use. What size are people using? I'd imagine you'd want it a couple extra mm in diameter so that it doesn't fit through the round opening but is held like a lens in place. I'd wager you could put window tinting film on the inside too.

So the watch glass I got is 80mm. But I learned that 70mm would be better so that there is room for the brass "rivets" next to the screen, I think there are four of those. But like you said the extra would sit under the faceplate. I'm going to use the ones I got for now. it should work fine for v1.

I was talking with a friend about our Destiny cosplay and I thought of using window tinting for my helmet visor. And never even thought of using that for the watch glass. :facepalm

So great idea by the way. :thumbsup

I do have extra of the Watch Glass if anyone needs one.

I found a bunch on (the site of) "mighty female warriors" ;) and was debating what size to go with. The cases run about 3.5" in width and rough measures of screen grabs suggest something in the area of 1/2" total margins around the lens. I think I'm likely to order the 70mm. Though I'm debating on whether I should see about the type of LCD I get for what I need. If it's small enough to leave a lot of in filled space around the image then it might make more sense to fudge the size inwards a bit.

The screen may also be the deciding factor for me on whether I try the tinting. My hope is that it's back lit enough to become visible. I used to work in a place with those observation mirrors so I know that seeing into the other side is simply a matter of lighting vs reflective lighting. But if it's sized right I may not even need something to hide the rectangular LCD and the part visible may be well within the frame of the screen.

Failing that the tinting option comes to mind but I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply to the lens shape. compound curves and adhesive films are tricky bedfellows.

I'm looking at those cases and they are not cheap, and I kinda want more than one for this project and a couple with the little compartments just because they are cool by themselves. I've heard tell of non-metal ones used for the original Farnsworth in black, but I've not seen them anywhere. I'm thinking I might have a go at vacuum forming some for me to play with when I get the case.

Also entertained the idea of doing a lacquerware version made from papermache layered in black lacquer. Might be possible to do the same and then cover in bronze leafing before aging and then sealing for a regular farnsworth. Then there was my idea of using some of the techniques used for making shaker boxes to make a wooden case an do cherry and brass finish for a even more steampunk look.

Who knows I may get around to actually doing half these ideas. lol.

wish I had the time and money to just sit down and create these ideas when the impulse strikes me.

I found a bunch on (the site of) "mighty female warriors" ;) and was debating what size to go with. The cases run about 3.5" in width and rough measures of screen grabs suggest something in the area of 1/2" total margins around the lens. I think I'm likely to order the 70mm. Though I'm debating on whether I should see about the type of LCD I get for what I need. If it's small enough to leave a lot of in filled space around the image then it might make more sense to fudge the size inwards a bit.

The screen may also be the deciding factor for me on whether I try the tinting. My hope is that it's back lit enough to become visible. I used to work in a place with those observation mirrors so I know that seeing into the other side is simply a matter of lighting vs reflective lighting. But if it's sized right I may not even need something to hide the rectangular LCD and the part visible may be well within the frame of the screen.

Failing that the tinting option comes to mind but I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply to the lens shape. compound curves and adhesive films are tricky bedfellows.

I'm looking at those cases and they are not cheap, and I kinda want more than one for this project and a couple with the little compartments just because they are cool by themselves. I've heard tell of non-metal ones used for the original Farnsworth in black, but I've not seen them anywhere. I'm thinking I might have a go at vacuum forming some for me to play with when I get the case.

Also entertained the idea of doing a lacquerware version made from papermache layered in black lacquer. Might be possible to do the same and then cover in bronze leafing before aging and then sealing for a regular farnsworth. Then there was my idea of using some of the techniques used for making shaker boxes to make a wooden case an do cherry and brass finish for a even more steampunk look.

Who knows I may get around to actually doing half these ideas. lol.

wish I had the time and money to just sit down and create these ideas when the impulse strikes me.

Yeah money and time is always a factor.

All of your ideas are BLOWING MY MIND :eek

Even if you only tackled one to start you are deff onto a really cool build.

I think the trick with using the window tinting material is to start from the inside and work your way out. At least that's how I'd approach it. OR start from a point on the outside edge and work across. I think as long as you go slow it will work out.

So you're thinking of a LCD screen behind the glass to show footage of Arty or another character from the show? Am I understanding that correctly?

ah well the case itself would be a fine prop an all to play with but, see I had this wacky idea a few years ago of making setup using one of the "nanny cams" style pinhole cameras with microphones that are wireless, and you can put them in teddy bears or what have you, to watch a childs room. And what would it take to rig up a small lcd and piezo speaker to pick up and view the nanny cam? and what if you gave each unit a viewer and a nanny cam? What if you had a few of them set up like switching cameras in a multi room system by changing the channel dial and it let you contact a different unit.

I've no idea if it would work as a mobile in house intercom system but it's been my intention to find out by tinkering. I have a couple of option to try out. and a few new ideas that have occurred recently. an I just hit the mother load on some component rich things at the local thrift shop today.

But the cool thing about this sort of build is that it's something you can improve upon as time goes by.

I've got time constraints and a few other things in the queue ahead of them but your thread has the farnsworth on my mind again.

But the cool thing about this sort of build is that it's something you can improve upon as time goes by.

You can totally be a hacker. Lot's of people on theRPF strive for screen accurate. Which is AWESOME!

But I prefer to be a "hacker" and put my touch on my builds, So you could deff do your thing and make it your own.

You should start a build thread for YOUR ideas, I'd love to see what you come up with. Your ideas have merit. PM me your build thread URL.

I'd like to keep my thread dedicated to the Farnsworth from the show.

Good luck with your build!!!!

Ah yes the faceplate, can't wait for that rusrep run to come through.

And I'm so glad you popped back up on this thread, it reminded me that I need to revive this thread. Been so busy on other projects, and now I'm at DragonCon. Once D'Con is over it's back to my smaller projects.

Keep me posted on your progress.

I see that you found all the knobs, switches, other pieces. Could you disclose where you found your parts, I have found exacts of a few, but have failed at the center knob and the bottom right switch.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back