Warehouse 13 - Claudia's (Farnsworth's) Farnsworth

Is there a definitive part # for the proper black plastic weatley box? I need to order a 9601 and figured i'd get them both at the same time.
Thanks

In post # 139 of this thread it was identified as a plastic box from Wheatly. Not the metal one so a 9601 would not be it.

Now to start reading ALL the pages again!

Is there a definitive part # for the proper black plastic weatley box? I need to order a 9601 and figured i'd get them both at the same time.
Thanks

This is what I bought.

2137-wcase001.jpg

2136-wcase002.jpg

2135-wcase003.jpg

There's a mix up between the guys at Reelseats warehouse and the folks who design their website, so the picture and description on their site is wrong. Order the model # listed below and you'll receive the case pictured above.

-Wheatley Malvern 8101 black 6"

8101 - $28.95 : REC Components - Catalog

Yes people have thought of that option when we were discussing how it was done. Letraset also makes custom foil rub on transfer sheets. I considered that option too. You send them the artwork and have them produce some foil ones. I think they were 5 or 6 A4 sheets for US$30.00.

Just a thought, could the face plate be engraved with the gold swirls, etc. Use a black plate with a gold under-cut color for it? If so, can some clever chap do the vector art?

Hey Zombie. From my discussions with Mark Woof from Wheatley UK I believe all of the Malvern 6" range of ABS boxes are the same box with different internal fittings. There isn't a model on the website without fittings so you need to email them and do a manual credit card order for a "Black Malvern 6" ABS box with no internal fittings".

Just be sure to order the BLACK box as the default colour is green. I didn't and have two green ones so have to vinyl dye them black.

I think they are all 8xxx series boxes like an 8203 or 8210.

If you order from some company in the US i don't know if you can get an empty Malvern box as it isn't a Wheatley model. They have to specially NOT add the fittings in the factory.

Thanks

Possible run?

Yes people have thought of that option when we were discussing how it was done. Letraset also makes custom foil rub on transfer sheets. I considered that option too. You send them the artwork and have them produce some foil ones. I think they were 5 or 6 A4 sheets for US$30.00.

I think I might have been on hallucinatory drugs when I was looking at those prices on Letraset's website. I just went to have a look and if one buys between 5 and 10 sheets of custom foils, the sheets are UK £47.02 each so that option might be a bit expensive..

Okay thats about $70.00 US. BUT...how many on each sheet, how many will go in on the project?

I think I might have been on hallucinatory drugs when I was looking at those prices on Letraset's website. I just went to have a look and if one buys between 5 and 10 sheets of custom foils, the sheets are UK £47.02 each so that option might be a bit expensive..

I'm working on a vector right now for the faceplate, which I plan to have engraved, but it's slow-going with all my other projects. Plus, I'm most familiar with Photoshop and those aren't true vectors so I'm trying to learn some other programs to try to do it better. I've only got the holes drawn so far, and a rough version of the flourishes around the speaker grill. If anyone else has a leg up on this, please, by all means do.

I've not worked out any sizes yet but there are 4 virtually identical flourishes inside the lid, one in each corner. Two are reversed so the overall pattern is symmetrical. There is also the word "Farnsworth".

There are 4 smaller identical flourishes on the faceplate. These are smaller than the ones in the lid. Again two reversed to make the pattern symmetrical. There is also another of the same flourishes from the lid on the faceplate on the right side. Also on the faceplate is the wreath shaped one around the mic/speaker grill.

Okay thats about $70.00 US. BUT...how many on each sheet, how many will go in on the project?

When I look at the screencaps, I can see that these flourishes were made using a wire jig, especially with the way they start and finish. It would be tedious to make a lot of them but doing enough for one or two Farnsworths would not be too bad. I expect the wreath was done the same way. It's just more complicated.

I'm still not sure how they did the Farnsworth "logo".

It has always been an option but the lettering looks slightly raised to me like the flourishes. It doesn't though to others.

I'm thinking engraving in plastic. A faceplate and a plate for the inside of the lid, the word Farnsworth could be engraved as well.

I'm thinking of making a Farnsworth inspired device in a cigarette case. I have a couple of these in my "things-to-do-something-with" drawer...

I had a similar idea, only not with a cigarette case, but with a smartphone case.

They are basically modern Vaudio devices right? :lol Not really propmaking, but if it wasn't for the research you guys did it wouldn't have been possible, so I'd like to share it with you:

Below is the first version for the back of my iPhone 4 (since that has a similar sqaure-ish shape)

OK, I'm going to give this one a shot. Wheatley case has been ordered and I've bookmarked the Ebay seller who is selling the Ford dial glass. It will compliment my steampunk outfit nicely I think.

My Malvern case arrived today with an unforseen hitch.

Malvern-case.jpg

The front of the case (model 8100 supplied) has square sections on it. It also seems very prone to fingerprint marks so it will probably need sealing anyway.

Any suggestions on how to overcome the ridges? Fill? Sand?

Maybe the Malvern range of boxes has been "upgraded". I wonder if they all have these sectioned lids. You coud always just order another box from Wheatley. I'd go with this box in black and without the foam inserts.

Welcome to Richard Wheatley

To order it minus the inserts you need to do a manual order by email not through the website. I found them very helpful though I screwed up and forgot to specify black colour and ended up with green boxes.

I ordered model 7100 from the website and was supplied with model 8100 (as I mentioned in the previous post).

I'll drop them a line and ask about whether they all have this on the lids now or whether there's a black one available with a plain lid.

I love the idea of the farnsworth and kinda have to admit i like the fancy new version, but i was wondering has anybody thought of trying to hack it together with a blackberry or something similar?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back