War of the Worlds 'Thunder Child' Diorama

DirtyBrush

Hello all, it's been a long time since my last post here but I thought you might like to see what I've been working on for the past year or so.

PXL_20230601_202815743.MP~3.jpg

I wanted to recreate the album cover of 'Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds' which haunted many a nightmare in my childhood. I think it's an iconic bit of sci-fi that has probably coolest version of the martian tripod ever (imho).

This build consisted of 3d printed models found on thingiverse -
Jeff Wayne Martian Fighting Machine / Tripod (fixed) by C_Caina (tripod)
HMS Thunderchild by skimbal (Thunder Child)

The Thunder Child model isn't completely accurate to the album cover or historical Ironclads, but it's a nice blend between the two!

I painted these up along with the backdrop, used some (very) slow cure resin for the sea, gloss gel medium for the waves, and a flexible led filament for the heatray (along with a micro led for the eyes of the tripod). I documented the build and released a video yesterday if you're interested in seeing how it all came together in more detail :)

I don't have too many pictures of the build in progress but here are some that I took along the way, C&C very welcome!

PXL_20211220_220234899[1849].jpg

PXL_20220102_173949961.jpg

PXL_20220106_153543530.jpg

PXL_20230505_215853471.MP.jpg

PXL_20230509_203329347.MP.jpg

PXL_20230512_221905919.MP.jpg

PXL_20230521_123953736.MP.jpg

What a worthy subject! Well executed.
Such a dramatic part of the album and book. Sadly ignored in all the big film productions that utterly escape me why. Glory and sacrifice of the fearless iron clad is so worthy to depict.
Especially because humanity did manage to bring one of those Martian SOBs down! You’ve captured the moment!

Great job DirtyBrush on your diorama.

War of the Worlds is an incredible story and well told by book, radio, musical and movies. Your nightmares ring true to me. At around 7 years old I saw this 1953 movie in the theater and many times since. Back then the death ray sound along with that tricolor snake head reaped its revenge. Still thrilling today. Particularly like the warship battle you created off of the musical painting. Thanks.

That is beautiful. I also think the Jeff Wayne tripod design is my favourite over any other incarnation I’ve seen. I can remember as a kid flipping through my dad’s album liner notes and taking in all of the art.

Agreed

#89 was my favorite

Signet Classic Cover

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back