War Machine - Done - For now

EFFalcon

Having browsed this forum for a few years and occasionally dabbling in building bits myself over that time, i was inspired by Stealth's War Machine build to finally have a crack at doing a full costume.

Previously i made a pep Iron man mask, it was a pretty early model and far from accurate, but it was semi successful in that it looked pretty good, but was unfortunately too small.

kept it as a reminder to check scale :p

have had a few other forays into part building with various parts made to test foam building methods etc but once again ran into scaling issues which blew my motivation out the window.

so this time i figured i'd start with the biggest part to motivate myself.

i'm 6'5 and about 100kg so it'll be a large War Machine :p

One thought i had to speed up the build process, was to use my vinyl plotter to print the pep patterns for easier transfer to the foam.

few minor difficulties in getting the scale right in the plotter software but then i was off and running.

Chest parts in vinyl
GHxca.jpg

Chest Version 1 (way too small)
and parts for Chest Version 2
2uC7Y.jpg

Chest Version 2 done
F8tMN.jpg

Started on the back
KHKsR.jpg

Transferring patterns over for the rest of the back
1FePG.jpg

Test fit Chest/Back
q8r0L.jpg

GuvZT.jpg

Shoulder Bells
vaw9I.jpg

and thats where i'm at.

currently using 9mm foam which seems to be working well, shame about the colour!

Will be moving down the rest of the arms next and crossing my fingers that the scale is ok.

hope it turns out 1/2 as good as some of the builds on here :D

Last edited:
Re: War Machine - Keep me motivated build.

Awwwww! Its pink, how beautiful :)

Glad to see another "bad ass war machine" build, not the new rainbow armor of im3

one suggestion is that you might want to cut the foam pieces out "cleaner", you will regret not doing so if later on you decide to paint it or plastic it.

one suggestion is that you might want to cut the foam pieces out "cleaner", you will regret not doing so if later on you decide to paint it or plastic it.

Thanks for the tip, i started out using some pretty second rate blades.
then i found an OLFA blade which was cutting beautify, will be ordering some refills for it as the difference is crazy.

mainly the chest that needs a bit of a clean up.

Good start up I'm building mine also you may want to check it out...it might help

Good start up I'm building mine also you may want to check it out...it might help

Thanks Don,

I had actually already looked at yours, very impressive details.
it actually helped me visualise some of the scaling between pieces a little better.

have had a few busy nights which has meant i havn't been able to make any more progress, but i'm hoping to get the bicep/elbow/forearm's done over the next couple of days.

then i'd like to look at building something to sit it all on!

Thanks Don,

I had actually already looked at yours, very impressive details.
it actually helped me visualise some of the scaling between pieces a little better.

have had a few busy nights which has meant i havn't been able to make any more progress, but i'm hoping to get the bicep/elbow/forearm's done over the next couple of days.

then i'd like to look at building something to sit it all on!

Ok..if you need any help feel free to ask..

Decided to make a PVC pipe skeleton to help with test fitting the parts, will do a duct tape manikin to go with it soon.

I've also built the biceps/forearms/elbows which i'll put photos up later today, will get the hand plates done tonight.

still waiting on my palstic clips so i can test assemble some parts and hang the arms on the dummy.

I found my olllllllllllld failed iron man helmet and slapped it on to get an idea of scale with the chest.

79y1y.jpg

Shot of one of the arms.

still needs detailing etc, but its coming together!

still waiting on my clips :(

VMi5o.jpg

Not sure on the scale of the forearms, they seem slightly small.
although they fit really well and look better on me, then on the dummy.

i'll re-evaluate at a later time as they are reasonably easy to make.

Finally got my plastic clips so assembled a few bits!

next up i'll work on the abs and cod

7jlk5.jpg

Got started on the Abs last night, not sure if i need to make some alterations to the rear though, I need to get the cod done to see how it all lines up.

looks great on the dummy though!

4Lzj9.jpg

Chucked it all on to check fitment of the abs with the chest.

so far i can put it all on myself which is a bonus :p

vNGtY.jpg

Wow. Impressive. I am liking this build. The more and more I see a good War Machine build, the more I want to build it.

Keep it up.

Thanks, i'm quite happy with progress so far.

a friend of mine was doing a full on predator build, but he lost motivation after some issues with the bodysuit.

When he saw what i was upto, it gave him another kick start.

keen to get cracking on the lower 1/2 now.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back