Wand Handle Sizes Practical or No

Plokman

Hey everyong,
Not sure if anyone will care but I thought I'd post this conundrum and see if anyone wanted to discuss it with me, anyway I am in the process of preparing my first Pottermore Wand I hope to sell. A few weeks back my dad bought me a set of Reamers for my birthday and they are smaller ones but work great now they got me thinking, a dangerous thing I know for me but they have very short handles and I took a look back at the Replica Wand I got in Universal's Harry Potter last summer it's Ron's wand and I realized Ron's wand has a handle that is little more than a knob of the branch it was made from. Infact the way I hold it is with the knob resting in my palm and my index finger and thumb holding the blade of the wand.

So my thought was is there a set size for wand handles or can each have varying sized ones? My personal wand as it is based off a Joe's Crab Shack fork I got on the same trip (the length and general shape that is.) is around around five inches long as a blank, so what should be the cut off? Can a wand have a handle as thin as a large sharpie or should it be a bit bigger I'm toying with one as thick as a paint marker I have so if anyone wants to give advice I am all ears.

Probably just me thinking about these things as always. Hope you guys are all doing well.

Wand handles vary a lot in shape and size, a large marker should be a good thickness. Wands in the books vary from 7 inches to 14 inches long, in the movies they are bit longer, probably 12 inches plus. The wand handle wouldn't usually be more than maye a third of the total length or so. Some wands don't have distinct handles though, look at Hermione's wand as an example. Hope this helps!

Wand handles vary a lot in shape and size, a large marker should be a good thickness. Wands in the books vary from 7 inches to 14 inches long, in the movies they are bit longer, probably 12 inches plus. The wand handle wouldn't usually be more than maye a third of the total length or so. Some wands don't have distinct handles though, look at Hermione's wand as an example. Hope this helps!
All true, very very true it really depends on the wand. Like with Ron's it has a clear handle but the handle itself is like a Live Edge being a refinement of the branch that it came from, then as you said Hermione's wand it has no "handle" just a smoothed out bit of wood with vine patterns in it. Then you look at Harry's and much like Ron's the handle was made as part of the wand the blade being carved and fully debarked but the handle looks like a polished shrunken log, a very natural handle and then we have Voldermot's with the bone handle clearly that was never part of a tree but it is worked into the wand's shape making it appear to be melding with the wood (With magic I don't doubt that is what is happening Voldermort may have transfigured the bone to bond with the wood since it was only the bone melding into the wood without changing any key parts of it the wand was not damaged)

I honestly debated on my first wand after I had carved the blade that it could of been a single piece wand, but I decided a better handle suited it. I am almost finished with it I just need to add a few touches to the paint, seal it and glue the two halves into a whole. After that Box time and then I can open my store. I just hope it looks good when done I want it to choose a good owner and be treasured, but it is my first design and I free handed it so who knows I just keep on trying making the wand suit the designs and all my other props as well.

Thank you and sorry I went off on a tangent, I'll be posting it soon.

So do the wands overall measurements include the handle, I know the movie ones are longer, but it’s still confusing as Lucius changed his handle, so for accurate representation purposes is it only the shaft as a measurement (say a 12” wand is really a 12” shaft) or the whole thing?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back