Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

Where did you get the mesh and what's the size? Looks to me like they plated or heated the pipe before installing it but I'm not sure. As for the fender I'm almost positive it is a yamaha xv920r since they build alot of them. The pre apocalypse bike has a xs650 fender. I used the 920r and it looks dead on. As for the dye on seat I'm not sure, and I can't find Roy. He Is not at the shop he used to be at. For the hockey tape coloring I saw a YouTube video using shoe Polish that looks very close to theirs, that's what I'll try. I'll post up pics in the next few days of how it looks.

IMG_0303.PNGSo looking at the exhaust there is a very definitive ridge where the patina starts. I'm thinking the wrapped a piece of sheet metal around it that was distressed using vinegar like the tank. Then wrapped and attached the mesh and slid it over the end of the pipe. That ridge is what made me think there has to be something there more than just the mesh. What do you guys think? I may try this weekend minus the mesh since I don't have it yet

MustangMike88. I think the detail on the exhaust is very thin, very small hole punched as opposed to woven - brass sheet. Then heated with a gas welder to get the coloured effect. I used this on a project at college years ago and it looks exactly the same. I got mine from a metal scrap yard. Not sure what the application would be for, maybe sieving or straining something? But definitely looks the same from close ups

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that brass isn't the one that is "wafered" I picked up a sheet that I thought was solid brass and it turned out to be two sheets of brass sandwiching a piece of perf board. Trying to bend it as a curve caused it to snap.

More updates:

So word of advice, do not mistakenly use the torque specs for the brake disc bolts in the Honda Nighthawk manual (35 ft. lbs.)....I wasn't even thinking when I did it and when the head sheared off, I totally realized that I was supposed to use torque specs from the Yamaha YZF-R6 (13 ft. lbs.)

20170409_214324.jpg

Got the patch in the tank welded on. Took quite a while to scale up from the various shots of the bike. I still need to inspect the tank on the inside to make sure I didnt burn through anywhere creating a hole.

20170409_175346.jpg

Also got the exhaust cut. 5" from the weld line seems to be the magic spot. Literally the exact amount of space to cut the baffling out.

20170409_175318.jpg

20170409_175336.jpg

Looks great! I cut mine at 5 inches also. Got my exhaust done this weekend and finally got it running. Sounds awesome. The brass mesh looked pretty much spot on when you heat it lightly. I'll post up some pics

- - - Updated - - -

20170409_161725.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20170409_161736.jpg20170409_162334.jpg

Last edited:
Just a useful tip when mounting the tank. I had to mount with petcocks on and both coils mounted under the tank. If the rear of the tank is mounted at the right height it will also clear the coils.

Thanks for the info, I mounted mine with levers out. Just seems easier for everyday use. So I went to a local foam distributor this weekend and found out some info on Roy Baird. Supposedly he was the best around here, but the guy just up and vanished. Moved out of the state and no one knows where he went lol. So he's out of the question for wrapping the seat.

There is a seat place in Denver, one of the best in the country. Bitchn stitchn is their name. If you have a seat pan made, just ship it to them and they'll ship it back just how you want it

Hi you all! I'm Paul from the Netherlands and also in the process of making the Daryl Dixon bike... bought myself a Honda CB 750 Nighthawk, Yamaha XS 650 gastank and complete Yamaha R6 frontend. Motor is out and painted in all the colors, frameloop etc is done and frame now to poadercoater. In the meantime VVMRACING is making me a new topplate so the R6 forks fit the Nighthawk frame. Now I'm at part of making the front grill and grill around the cylinder heads. The two opening rings in the front grill, what diameter did you guys use?

Where did you guys buy these two grilled custom made airfilters? @Classified Moto? How much do they cost?
Seth Ingham over at Sleeper Designs. He made the original ones for the bikes in the show.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back