W.I.P Iron Man new member first timer *PIC HEAVY*

Rokunited

So I've actually known about pepakura for a few years. I remember seeing amazing halo suits and thought how it would be so awesome to try my hand at it. I never took that step, and forgot about it after awhile. Recently I've been seeing all these crazy Iron man out fits and really wanted to try it as a hobby. So I started with the helmet seems like it maybe the hardest thing to get really good, so if I can pull this piece off I should be able to pull the suit off? I really wanted to post my progress, as I know there are a ton of veterans on this forum. Also, the people seem to be very friendly and helpful, if you don't plan on ripping them off. I hope to get criticism about my progress because I want it to look very good. So please chew into it and let me know how I can perfect this piece, I wanna get it right the first time haha.. I think so far I'm doing a good job, of course it could be better, and will it with your help!!

Pep came out pretty good, I believe the file is from Dubean33 it's the Sharkmark hel. I tried dark striders helm at first but to be honest it was kinda demoralizing me. I couldn't get the jaw right, this one to me was easier. Also, I learned a few things along the way. Make sure to score the fold lines and pre fold things before, it made all my details look a lot sharper. I was also able to get the small detailed parts.

After seeing the price of Smoot-cast 321 about 100 dollars shipped to my door, I went the route of bonda fiber glass resin. I'll sacrifice comfort and use a resiprator, considering its a lot cheaper on my wallet. I do however want to get some smooth-cast for the rest of the build. Maybe next piece. The right temple caved in during the resin stage. But, if you search you find a wealth of info!!! I heated the area with a heat gun on low, and pushed out the caved in part. It cooled and stayed in place.

after I glassed and popped the face plate off. Came out decent I think, everything lines up so far with no super excessive gaps. I decided to dremel off the teeth, they were just getting in the way. I think if I make another helm I wont pep those parts, I plan on using foam with some type of front face to them with the teeth on there. I do think they make the IM helm look way more aggressive.

So next on the list for me will be to clean up the fiber glass on the interior of the helm, and face plate. After that, I'll need to glass a few more spots to strengthen it more. So soon I'll be bondoing it. I have limited experience with bondo, I used it on my car a few times to fix things. But, from what I've researched on the site, bondos rule of less it more applies. So I'll go slow during the bondo phase, I want to make the details sharp with chrisp lines. I don't even know if im capable of that I get so inspired from your guys builds. I guess I wont know if I can replicate your guys success if I don't try. Wish me luck. Thanks for reading!!!

Attachments

• 20130606_070557.jpg
    20130606_070557.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 94
This is looking amazing man! It's good that your putting a lot of effort in, I tried and failed at pepping a helmet haha.

Strode* I only did one layer so far. But, on the lip of the helm I'll probably do another layer.

JWMines* I failed horribly the first time I tried also. Wasn't much of an attempt I got as far as the face plate and jaw, than thought about how ****ty it looked. But, I was actually making a ton of mistakes. This time I slowed it down a ton, and I use some tips and tricks from this forum. Its night and day from that pep to this pep so far. Great info on this site love it.

Ayayayron* I actually didn't use foam, I'm building with card stock, fiber glass resin/cloth, bondo.

Do most people with IM armors buy their helms or make theirs? I'm starting to wonder if the price of producing your own helm is more than just buying it. Also is the helm the hardest part? I don't think I'll buy a helm unless I can't finish this one. Some of the helms on here are spectacular though.

Thank you for posting your process -loving it. I have began working my own costume as well and have been taking the same route. Where did you get the plans for our helmet? I have been using another version that is much more complex and really doesn't need to be.

Long story as short as I can. I cannot use Pepakura (Mac guy) so I'm fairly limited. Would really appreciate any suggestions along th elines of your pattern.

Again - looking great!

Strode* I only did one layer so far. But, on the lip of the helm I'll probably do another layer.

JWMines* I failed horribly the first time I tried also. Wasn't much of an attempt I got as far as the face plate and jaw, than thought about how ****ty it looked. But, I was actually making a ton of mistakes. This time I slowed it down a ton, and I use some tips and tricks from this forum. Its night and day from that pep to this pep so far. Great info on this site love it.

Ayayayron* I actually didn't use foam, I'm building with card stock, fiber glass resin/cloth, bondo.

Do most people with IM armors buy their helms or make theirs? I'm starting to wonder if the price of producing your own helm is more than just buying it. Also is the helm the hardest part? I don't think I'll buy a helm unless I can't finish this one. Some of the helms on here are spectacular though.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back