Voyagers Omni Resin kit painting help

starfighter66

I have reciently acquired a resin omni kit (voyagers) and would like to know how to get the best brass authentic look to it, here are pics of the kit and reference shots of a metal omni.
omnikit.jpg

VoyagersOmni.jpg
webomni22.jpg

Last edited:
That kit is cool, did you get it from Rob? As for painting I would say sand her real smooth and then hit it with Alcad II primer and then Alcad brass. Maybe you could even get it plated?

thanks for the help, I will soon be making this kit i will take my time so as to do a great job.

That kit is cool, did you get it from Rob? As for painting I would say sand her real smooth and then hit it with Alcad II primer and then Alcad brass. Maybe you could even get it plated?

Where can I get this kit from?

The resin kits are no longer available, Rob stopped making them because they are so fragile.

I took over the brass production of Rob's omnis and will be looking into resin kits using a stronger resin (task series from smooth-on).

Marc

The resin kits are no longer available, Rob stopped making them because they are so fragile.

I took over the brass production of Rob's omnis and will be looking into resin kits using a stronger resin (task series from smooth-on).

Marc

Thanks for the info, Marc. I'll be in on one of those kits... always wanted an omni but can't afford the all-metal one.

Alclad doesn't make a brass. They have a gold and a copper. And neither of them are high shine like the chrome. The gold and copper are "antique". Basically, they look no better than Testor's enamel gold and copper.

Krylon (if I remember) makes a pretty decent brass. But in order to get good results, you need to do a lot of prep work to the base.

But there is a UK company that makes a rattle can Gold that is phenominal. Perhaps one of our UK members will know which one I'm talking about and can remind us of the brand.

-Fred

But there is a UK company that makes a rattle can Gold that is phenominal. Perhaps one of our UK members will know which one I'm talking about and can remind us of the brand.

I suspect you're talking about Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic Gold. I've used the silver version with great results in the past.

I would be interested in a resin one as well. Just curious if the metal ones are still available and how much?

Scott

Yep, still make the brass ones, they go for $625 shipped these days although i have so many orders that i am fully booked for the next 3 months and orders just keep pouring in.

Hopefully i will be able to offer resin copies soon, just need to finish some other projects first.

Yep, still make the brass ones, they go for $625 shipped these days although i have so many orders that i am fully booked for the next 3 months and orders just keep pouring in.

Hopefully i will be able to offer resin copies soon, just need to finish some other projects first.

Thanks. I can wait for the resin kits. Great piece.

Scott

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back