Voyager PADD project - paint substitute needed

RGPFX

Okay guys, here's the scoop.

I've been working on a Voyager PADD on and off for a while now. I designed the masters from a friend's full size scan, then drew it up in CAD, laser cut it, routed edges, made a master negative, and finally made casts.

But, after all this effort, I've looked all over my South Florida stompin' grounds and cannot find Plasticote paints in the recommended original color GM7173 (yes, I know it may have been reformulated since its original debut) or the later option 1004. Most places don't carry Plasticote. The few that do carry only the generic line of primary colors, not the auto styles. I even called the manufacturer who sent me a list of local suppliers, but calling them resulted in a series of "don't-have-that"s or "don't-carry-it-anymore"s. Forget Pep Boys, they're carrying Dupli-color now. Bennett Auto has only the primaries. Wal-mart has the stone textures.

In short, it's clear that this paint may be fading from availability altogether. Therefore the question is this:

Has anyone come up with a viable, attractive alternative, available widely, to replace this possibly extinct beast???

---RGP

Yes Sir, General (salute) :)

Actually, Valspar, Plasti-cote's parent company mentioned Sprawl-mart, but the only Plasticote they had was stone textures and generic colors in the paint department proper. Auto had been completely assimilated by Dupli-color.

RGP

Originally posted by RGPFX@Mar 27 2006, 02:49 AM
Okay guys, here's the scoop.

I've been working on a Voyager PADD on and off for a while now. I designed the masters from a friend's full size scan, then drew it up in CAD, laser cut it, routed edges, made a master negative, and finally made casts.

But, after all this effort, I've looked all over my South Florida stompin' grounds and cannot find Plasticote paints in the recommended original color GM7173 (yes, I know it may have been reformulated since its original debut) or the later option 1004. Most places don't carry Plasticote. The few that do carry only the generic line of primary colors, not the auto styles. I even called the manufacturer who sent me a list of local suppliers, but calling them resulted in a series of "don't-have-that"s or "don't-carry-it-anymore"s. Forget Pep Boys, they're carrying Dupli-color now. Bennett Auto has only the primaries. Wal-mart has the stone textures.

In short, it's clear that this paint may be fading from availability altogether. Therefore the question is this:

Has anyone come up with a viable, attractive alternative, available widely, to replace this possibly extinct beast???

---RGP
[snapback]1213878[/snapback]​

I found these from Dupli-Color at Wally World and they match the GM codes:

DSGM 347 Medium Gray = 7173
DSFM 225 Med. Charcoal M = 1004

I hope this helps.

Rick

If you have one around you, try a place called Carquest. That's the only place around me to find Plasticote.

I found these from Dupli-Color at Wally World and they match the GM codes:

DSGM 347 Medium Gray = 7173
DSFM 225 Med. Charcoal M = 1004
I've also used the Dupli 225 Med. Char. as an alternative to P1004. Very close. Not perfect, but very close.

Thanks guys. I knew someone here would have some ideas. Just in case though, keep 'em coming.

:)

---RGP

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back