Another between paint coats paper project, Shawshank Redemption

Rhett J Martin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Howdy y'all,

Well, after learning that building paper props between coats of paint was a great way to stay focused while building a prop or two (in this case, the last 23 Ghostbuster goggles), I'm at it again.

This was just a simple way to add to my already awesome Kurtyboy Shawshank paper props, as well as something to add to the Mansfield Reformatory's growing prop collection.

I've got here, Brook's sad farewell letter to Andy and the fellas, done up quick in a nice font I found that gives it a great 'classic cursive written by a shaky hand' look. While the letter can be barely glimpsed while Andy reads it, there was just enough of a hint of signature and "P.S." sentence to suggest how big the font would have to be to get the right look. Luckily, while we don't see the text, we obviously hear it being read.
I felt very sad after writing this. A few quick moves here and there, and some free transforming on too similar looking leters, and I had a nice authentic hand written letter.

1566-brookletterphoto.jpg

1567-brooksletterdetail.jpg

I also turned my attention to the letter Andy receives with the boxes of books and records. Since he reads the text, it was just a simple act of creating the letter. A seperate scene has the address of the State Controllers office, as well as the address for Shawshank. A quick Google search found me the name of the State controller in 1950's Maine. A nice 'not so sharp and well inked' typwriter font completes the look, along with an older version of the Seal of Maine.

Creating the check was a fun exercise. A quick link from Kurtyboy to an autograph site got me to a cool check design from Lucille and Desi Arnez' studio checkbook, from around 1950. Copying and tweaking that design gave me a decent looking check. The film shows us only a breif glimpse of the border, which was made up here, and the green color of the paper. The second signature on the check is Dennis Baker, the last warden of Mansfield Reformatory. I plan on changing the zip code of Shawshank to '04237' as 237 shows up in alot of Stephen King's writings (Red's cell, the room from 'Shining' , etc.)

1568-andyslibraryletterphoto.jpg

1569-andyslibrarydetail1.jpg

1570-andyslibraryletterdetail2.jpg

So, a neat quick project that kept me going between other larger projects. Doing stuff like this is most definatly becoming part of my work routine. Hope you like!! Envelopes still to come!

Looks great. I also did the Brooks letter. I love your font. It is a font right?

I think I have stamps for Andy's out going letters to the states comptroller's office. I will have to look.

Excellent job on the check. Did you make it completely from scratch or base it on an actual check?

Super job,
DBCooper

Thanks! The Font is called Santos Dumont, and was free.

The check was from scratch, but based on a real check. I used a bunch of free fonts for the old timey typewriter fonts. I'd love tosee your stamps! I have yet to look for them!

those free fonts and designs are incredible these days . that's something I need to start is a SR collection..one of my favorite non-sci-fi movies ever...that and unforgiven

HA! No more FS threads for a few weeks, break time!!

I sent these along to Kurtyboy though, so if he choses to use them, they're all his. If not, they'll probably show up in the paper prop forum.

I did start working on the envelopes, but more on those next week.

HA! No more FS threads for a few weeks, break time!!

I sent these along to Kurtyboy though, so if he choses to use them, they're all his. If not, they'll probably show up in the paper prop forum.

I did start working on the envelopes, but more on those next week.

free paper prop.... I am all for that route :love

Nice work, no matter how we get a copy, free or paid, it will be welcomed in my collection. Great job!!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back