Vintage decal help needed, please have a look

Lee S

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all, there's a thread going for the Alien Narcissus build, but I wanted to post this here separately incase anyone can spot some of the decals used on the original. I've checked a bunch of large scale jets from the era, but so far nothing.

The only one I have spotted is the Red box with '52' inside, that's from the 1/25 Centurion.

One thing I noticed was that most of the underside decals were added after filming started. There's a shot in the film where you can clearly see far less decals. This might indicate that they were rubdown decals.

8034720440_2475c595bc_o.png

8058338815_0f25e9cb1c_o.png

Hey Steve, yep that's what I'm thinking too. Just need to find someone with vintage sheets that can check/scan them. I've looked at hundreds of Letraset sheets and not spotted anything yet though...

Revell and/or Tamiya helicopter kits such as the OH-6 Cayuse might net the red arrows since I think those were a warning marking highlighting where the tail rotor was (and the rotor head would be a potential source of greeblies). Perhaps a 1/32 Revell Phantom might have donated some stencil decals as well. Only other thing I can think of is I believe the earliest batches of Microscale military aircraft decals had come out a few years prior and many of those sheets had some pretty elaborate stencils on them (F-4 sheets for instance). It is worth a look anyway.

Thanks! I've not checked the OH-6. The Revell Phantom like the Airfix Harrier seemed an obvious one, but alas it's not.

Wow, this is hard. Are there any clear pictures? Is there a "making of" book? What about screen captures from Aliens?

There's kinda decent pics of the top but very few of the underside that have been shared. These are mostly screen caps from the BluRay, best I could get. Unfortunately the miniature in Aliens is a different model as the original Alien one disappeared.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back