Suggestion Videogame replica prop sub forum needed!

Volpin

Sr Member
For the entirety of the time I've been a part of the RPF, I've crafted almost exclusively video game replicas. I know many people who do the same, creating intricate copies of guns, swords, armor, helmets and other artefacts which hail from the world of gaming. The artwork that gaming propmakers create is no less detailed than those of movie replicas, and the fanbases for those items and franchises no less rabid. For those not familiar with how far the resolution and detail in gaming has come, here's a piece I completed recently:

9741091049_e487105cf5_c.jpg

I noticed today there is a "Judge Dredd" subforum dedicated specifically to Dredd replicas and costumes. I didn't know Dredd was so huge, but more power to those who celebrate it!

This sets a precedent though, and one I am wondering if others would be willing to support. I believe videogames reach a large audience and would benefit from a subforum dedicated specifically to videogame replicas. I don't mind the current set up at all - thumbing through phasers and iron man helmets isn't a laborious process and I enjoy a good movie prop as much as the next builder - but I believe a further category split would make the forum easier to browse and categorize, and would also better connect with those types of builders who might not be as interested in crafting cinema based replicas.

More and more the world of video game props is growing, and I'd like to see the RPF echo that movement. If moderators are needed or someone should be picked to get the wheels turning in this endeavor, I'll do whatever is necessary to help

Consider this suggestion 'thirded'. Itd be great to have a place specifically for the world of gaming. The genre, being completely fictional, creates some of the most creative and inspiring concepts possible and deserves it own section. This would definitely be a great idea, and although I'm new here, I've often visted and wondered why there isnt already a Game Replicas section. Don't get me wrong though, the mods have created a great community here. Thanks RPF.

I agree.

We've seen a lot of video game props go through here from Halo to Skyrim. The videogame prop crowd is growing.

I agree, and do believe that this is a MUST for a replica prop site like this. I find it just as important as the movie forums, as some people exclusively work on props for video games.

Just to explain the logic that we are using... as with the Dredd forum test that we did, these are franchise specific forums that include props and costumes from all forms of delivery medium for that franchise, including movies, television, books & video games. So at the moment, we are just breaking out franchises and not delivery medium.

Having said that, we are always looking for ways to better serve the community, and the day may come when other forums will be necessary, but for now, based on the Dredd "test", we need to see how these franchises splits work out on a larger scale.

I would love to see this split too... when I wanted to post my first build write up, I was unsure of where to put it, because it wasn't from a movie.
Ultimately I went in movies though, only because this is where other people doing the same source material were posting.

I would love to see this split too... when I wanted to post my first build write up, I was unsure of where to put it, because it wasn't from a movie.
Ultimately I went in movies though, only because this is where other people doing the same source material were posting.
Here is the description listed under the prop forum heading...
Show and discuss your replica props from movies, tv shows,
comic books, and video games.
So whether you knew it or not, you put it in the right place. :)

I think a lot of the older members who don't like gaming or gaming builds would support this too.

I think I see what you are getting at. Shift the gaming stuff into its own section so we can concentrate on lightsabers etc. In a way, it could be a win / win.

Let me throw this at you. As an old dude (me), there are a lot of cool gaming prop replicas. I didnt start playing video games until my late late 30's. Some of the most interesting prop/costume ideas are coming out of the video game industry. A light saber is just an old tube of metal left over from a flash gun. We see it on screen slicing / dicing and presto! Its an iconic futuristic weapon that conjures up feelings or coolness. A person who plays a video game is experiences the same connection to the weapon of the day. Play Portal and you will want a Portal gun.

In the end there are a lot of similiarities with the Video Game prop builders and us movie prop builders.

Side note: Look for Jeff Dunams Batmobile and his Army scout vehicle in Maxium. I was at the photo shoot yesterday, way cool.

Just for those that may have missed my previous post...

Just to explain the logic that we are using... as with the Dredd forum test that we did, these are franchise specific forums that include props and costumes from all forms of delivery medium for that franchise, including movies, television, books & video games. So at the moment, we are just breaking out franchises and not delivery medium.

Having said that, we are always looking for ways to better serve the community, and the day may come when other forums will be necessary, but for now, based on the Dredd "test", we need to see how these franchises splits work out on a larger scale.

Montagar I didn't miss your point, in fact I think your points support the idea of having a separate board for Video Games, re: the Dredd forum being a test. I have no idea what your (or other site operators') experience with gaming is, so pardon me if this is a little elementary. In 2011, video and computer gaming was a 16.6 billion (with a B) industry. The ESA's research into gaming says that 49% of US households own one or more gaming platform. And games are not a medium for kids; the average gamer is 30 years old. [citation] Gaming is not a niche hobby like it was as recently as 10 years ago.

What wouldn't make sense is to suggest adding individual game franchises as separate boards - and just to be clear, I don't think anyone is suggesting this. For one, while there are some incredibly popular and well known franchises - The Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, Halo, Borderlands - people are not building and cosplaying from those any more or less than standalone or lesser known titles. The Dredd forum test was a success, and the new Star Wars, Marvel, and DC boards are being rolled out. If anytime was the right time to suggest and add a Video Game board, I think that time is now.

I can understand not wanting to make a board based on "delivery method" for passive, visual media. Like, it wouldn't make sense to have a "TV Props" board and an "Anime Props" board. I get that. But to judge interactive media on the same basis, an industry that put out over 500 titles in 2012 alone [citation], I think represents a gross misunderstanding of what games are and what they offer to fans.

We realize you guys have made your decision. What we're asking is you to reconsider it, and not give us canned responses as to why you aren't. That's what a suggestion forum is for, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Canned response? If that is what you took away from my post, then you did miss my point, completely. My point was to explain our thought process for now, and why a video game forum was not included, for now. This change is pretty major and not exactly how we had originally planned on resolving the issue of making it easier for members to find what they are interested in, but it's just a first step in that process. My re-post was not intended to silence or discourage suggestions at all, quite the contrary, it was to make sure that members where aware of our thought process regarding this particular change.

I for one was rather puzzled by the franchises chosen. I would have thought that the TV based SF franchises had more builds than the comic franchises chosen. Star Wars is obviously a no-brainer but so is Star Trek in my view and of course Dr Who which at 800 episodes has rather a lot of prop material.

The problem with the current set up is that it is very hard to find stuff. Even with google it is rather tedious finding a past thread.

Separating out the TV, video game and movie builds would be a good way to divide stuff up and make it manageable. Some franchises do cross boundaries but even though there is a star wars game it is understood to be a movie franchise and even though there are tomb raider ]movies it is obviously still a video game franchise.

Part of me wants to agree with this, but on the other hand scrolling through the mish-mash of different builds in the props and costume forums can lead to viewing amazing works that you might not seek out if it were segregated in a sub-forum. The franchise specific forums have been good helping handle the volume of daily posts, but I'm afraid if we go to far with the sub-forums we will lose all of the little moments of discovery. What I think would be cool would be to have categorizes in each forum. So if you clicked on Replica Props you would get everything listed there, but under that have it broke out into categories like TV, Movie, Videogame, Comics, Other/Uncategorized. Then if you wanted to only look at Videogame props you could, but you keep the option of seeing everything together.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back