Venkman's Ghostbusters Hero Proton Pack - Vintage Parts, New Details! VERY pic heavy!

Re: Venkman's Ghostbusters Hero Proton Pack - Vintage Parts, New Details! VERY pic he

AJ, that is your new one!!! It was one if the last parts to arrive before we sent her out, and I was so glad you were able to get them done just in time (I actually felt like you were rushing on my account, and we really appreciated it). It's just some faux grime sitting in the center divot making that circle seem smaller.

You said the epoxied end caps would be strong, and you weren't kidding - we started what's proving to be a very difficult process of dremeling off the older kind from a few years ago to install the replacement caps you sent along with the new bellows.

Whew. I guess I was looking at one of the older photos before everything was painted and weathered and spotted it.

Glad you got the new one on in time!

With the old bellows, they actually aren't epoxy, they are soldered on. You can heat it up in an electric oven or in a cast iron pan.. and the end caps will come off. Just be very careful. (I'd use an old oven that you don't cook in if possible since there could be fumes.)

Re: Venkman's Ghostbusters Hero Proton Pack - Vintage Parts, New Details! VERY pic he

Whew. I guess I was looking at one of the older photos before everything was painted and weathered and spotted it.

Glad you got the new one on in time!

With the old bellows, they actually aren't epoxy, they are soldered on. You can heat it up in an electric oven or in a cast iron pan.. and the end caps will come off. Just be very careful. (I'd use an old oven that you don't cook in if possible since there could be fumes.)

Oh yes, your old model does appear in some of the "making of" shots. Thanks for hurrying to get the new ones together (pretty sure you beat the delivery estimate the shop page gave when I ordered) - we got it on just in time, and those things are perfect. I'll get a shot of one next to the legit Apex-sourced bellows for you!

Can't believe the old caps could be that easy to release. Thanks for the tip!

D

I love obsessive builds like these. Really wonderful work.

Amazing build! It's really inspired me to go from improving my previous pack build to starting a complete new build. The weathering is AMAZING! The photography is really awesome, too. It looks like it was shot in the firehall lab!

Thanks nick & osborn! Art's taking even better pics of it in his home studio - when he's done hopefully he'll share his selects.

Wow. I took notes. Many thanks for highlighting a lot of the finer details. It really helps me to understand the incredible undertaking of building an accurate GB1 hero pack.

I really like the autographed post card touch... made out to Alice, and coincidentally, one ALICE pack required.

One tiny detail you didn't miss, and I can't help but see in the film is the white zip tie at the base of the thrower handle around the loom. Does this serve any other purpose beyond holding the split loom together?

Where to begin? The result, or the sharing...the work involved into making that wonderful, cool prop or the height of the bar setting?
Too much to say, or not enough. But a thing for sure: Art/Kristen are very, very lucky people right now because of that work of art you've just produced; way too cool for words because you're dealing with emotions only:cool:cool:cool:cool

I am in awe! I always love seeing packs that are obviously labors of love, and this is no exception.

Last edited:

Wow. I took notes. Many thanks for highlighting a lot of the finer details. It really helps me to understand the incredible undertaking of building an accurate GB1 hero pack.

I really like the autographed post card touch... made out to Alice, and coincidentally, one ALICE pack required.

One tiny detail you didn't miss, and I can't help but see in the film is the white zip tie at the base of the thrower handle around the loom. Does this serve any other purpose beyond holding the split loom together?

Thanks for the kind words, McFly! My favorite "Alice" connection was the librarian who encountered their first ghost in the basement of the NYPL. "Are you, Alice, menstruating right now?"

Westies14 Your build is a real masterpiece and pictures are gold mine as references to improve details in our proton packs!
Thanks for sharing, your work is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just an amazing work of art! An inspiration to pack builders everywhere! I couldn't imagine how much this beauty cost!

That is the most amazing pack I've ever seen. The attention to detail is beyond words. You've made me want to go back and rebuild my proton pack. Do you mind if I save the photos you've taken for reference? Thank you for sharing this with us.

Save away! Though it's definitely recommended to build from pics of the original... Using even nice replicas for reference inevitably has an effect like that "operator" game: things evolve and shift just a bit with each iteration removed from the source. In examining the originals and screen grabs from the first film, I interpreted some details in ways which contradict the conventional wisdom shared by different groups of builders (even from group to group, you'll find disagreements, so it's not surprising that you might see things differently, too). On top of that, each screen pack was different in small ways. But yes, by all means, save 'em, reference them - but you'd do well to challenge them, see if you think the decisions we made on this one hold up for the specific pack you're looking to replicate. Good luck with the rebuild!

Westies14 - Is there any chance you could host the photos on flickr or another site even a zip file on something like megadownloads? I was hoping to use some of them to help guide me on my current built (hence having this thread saved) but not they are all lost in the clusterf*ck that is Photobucket, it wont even allow me to download them direct from Photobucket, It remains one of the best pack builds i have ever seen, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

@Westies14 - Is there any chance you could host the photos on flickr or another site even a zip file on something like megadownloads? I was hoping to use some of them to help guide me on my current built (hence having this thread saved) but not they are all lost in the clusterf*ck that is Photobucket, it wont even allow me to download them direct from Photobucket, It remains one of the best pack builds i have ever seen, thanks.

Shutterstock really screwed the internet in one stroke, without warning, huh? I don't have the bandwidth or energy at this time to sign up for new image hosting, re-upload all of them, then go through and replace all of those links in the original post in the proper order/place in the writeup. I'm sure the same is true for millions and millions of conversations people would be interested in. For the time being, I hope this Dropbox collection of the images is helpful for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/19ihvw5g3lqw4wl/AAChydaWcYe87Di-TrTISNYza?dl=0

Unlike shutterstock, I'll try to give you guys a heads up if it's coming down. Please feel free to save anything you'd like from the directory!

Shutterstock really screwed the internet in one stroke, without warning, huh? I don't have the bandwidth or energy at this time to sign up for new image hosting, re-upload all of them, then go through and replace all of those links in the original post in the proper order/place in the writeup. I'm sure the same is true for millions and millions of conversations people would be interested in. For the time being, I hope this Dropbox collection of the images is helpful for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/19ihvw5g3lqw4wl/AAChydaWcYe87Di-TrTISNYza?dl=0

Unlike shutterstock, I'll try to give you guys a heads up if it's coming down. Please feel free to save anything you'd like from the directory!

You Sir are a prince amongst men, thank you so much for that, I really appreciate it :) thank you and once again, amazing pack!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back